Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #21

dcheatwood,
You hit the nail on the head...

Quote:
I think it's the "birds of a feather thing." Rich folk hang together, heavy partyers party together, family groups camp together, etc. The problems often occur when different groups camp near each other and find "their space" invaded. Partyers drinking, loud and cursing next to folks with kids. Or johnny builds his campfire up wind from Rockafellow's land yacht, and smoke disturbs his brandy sipping. So many ways to clash.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #22
Who Dares, Wins

I guess we have been lucky and have not had any issues. I think as far as these forums are concerned they are pretty tame. I do get irked sometimes with the cookie cutter response to folks about "Try searching" instead of maybe just giving a bit of insight and maybe a link or two. I know when I started here it was a learning experience.

We have tent camped, pop up camped and now trailer camp. Even when we were in a tent the trailer folk were very friendly towards us. I will agree with the birds of a feather thing.. The tenters tend to hang with the tenters and the million dollar class A's stay in another part of town... I know I tend to look at the TT crowds as the weekend warriors's and long weekend campers like myself and the 5ers more of the retired or full time bunch. Not a negative view but what I have seemed to experience. But all have been friendly none the less.

I am bothered by folks not waving when we pass on the highways and by-ways though... We are all the friendly crowd while at the campgrounds but as soon as we are on the road or at a rest stop the serious face goes on and no more smiles and waves..

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:34 PM   #23

Well, for what it's worth, we started camping under the stars in mummy bags, then progressed to a 3-man tent, a pop-up, 2 TTs, a Class C, a fiver, a Class A (gas), and currently another Class C. We have met people from all walks of life and yes, there are some who appear to be snobs; however, when approached, they are just like we are -- maybe a bit standoff-ish at first, but darn friendly once you break the ice!
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #24

I am new this year with my TT. I have been warned by buddies and have caught comments/advice just from reading posts here. Some bad things out there. For me, I am still going on weekends and holiday weekends to get my feet wet. I love camping without a tent. A year or two from now, I may be able to speak with experience. ��
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:43 PM   #25

It is the campers that do not respect your site or property. Too many weekend warriors think that they can walk were ever they want when ever they want. They have no respect for other campers and when asked to walk around your site and not through it you would think the world is coming to and end.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #26

abomb, you have a good spirit about reaching out to others. I hope to meet helpful, kind campers that will reach out to others. God knows I need direction.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:20 PM   #27
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I remember a post on here, a while back, from a class A person. A few people responded trying to help with problem, and the person responded to us trailer trash by saying he only read and responded to his brand of m/n..... Then why did he (?) ask on an open forum for a fix......Don't like the answer, don't ask the question.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:40 PM   #28

Karma does come around. What you sow is what you reap.

Been by a person like that and I have to work Saturday and I get in my truck and leave. I work and live listening to diesels and it's my pet peave in a park. Don't care if you get free fuel or not. Once turbo cools off kill it. I moved away from that site and the next their sewer hose busted. They had to pay the environmental cleanup and leave the park. Heard the ruin the inside of it by not taking off their shoes. They hadn't connected the hoses together correctly.

Glad I moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:33 AM   #29

The same thing applies to fishing, I have no idea why. A lot of Captains (75%) look down on the weekend warriors, for whatever reason. I don't do any charters on the weekend due to boat traffic, and the fact that the heavy traffic puts the fish down. Never occurred to me that this happens with camping also
Old 06-29-2015, 04:02 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I think it's the "birds of a feather thing."
Hey, we FROGs don't have feathers!! :-)

Seriously, though, I agree we campers should look out for each other and be respectful for where people are in life, no matter if it's a noob or a full-timer! (Personally, I like meeting ALL kinds...and it's true, you can be a rich guy with a $200K Class-A who is a sweet as pie or a jerk...it's a choice!!)

Did anybody see on the news that an RVers is the one who tipped off the NY police to the first escaped convict? Rock star!!!!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:32 AM   #31

You shouldn't have to ask people to stay off your site or control their children. How do you do that without sounding demanding? I'm not a full timer yet. I see it when camping weekends. It's called common courtesy that people no longer use. Hate to say it but people have not been taught rules of respecting others. And take offense if you try to ask them to stop a behavior.
justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:13 AM   #32

The only thing I will have a chuckle about is watching people back their trailer. So many just jump in and go and haven't towed before. If you haven't towed or had a good teacher when it comes to backing you need to practice because someday your going to find yourself in a spot where your going to have to back up. It's like the people that never learn how to parallel park a car, although after looking at a parking lot lately I see more can't park, or just don't care, than those that can.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #33
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
I remember a post on here, a while back, from a class A person. A few people responded trying to help with problem, and the person responded to us trailer trash by saying he only read and responded to his brand of m/n..... Then why did he (?) ask on an open forum for a fix......Don't like the answer, don't ask the question.
Yup! I remember that post and even read one this morning about weekenders at state campgrounds being rude, crude and rookies. So the "attitude" is on this forum just as much as anywhere else.

I like coming here to read about the different solutions to problems and all the mods that people do. Lets just have fun and go camping.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:39 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
ONE of my pet peeves.... after 35 years in customer service...I think I can form a judgment call on this. Someone asks a question...you provide a guess or an educated answer...then they argue with you... Not ask more questions...say something stupid like "that's not it!!! That chaps me...

How about saying.... hmmmmm I guess it could be...or O.K. thank you
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:39 AM   #35
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Yup! I remember that post and even read one this morning about weekenders at state campgrounds being rude, crude and rookies. So the "attitude" is on this forum just as much as anywhere else...
I believe I was the recipient of his rant! Like water off a duck's back.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:43 AM   #36

Ohhh... One other thing. People from different parts of the world say/do things differently. DW and I were talking about this over the weekend. People are just different...Maybe not meaning to be behinds...just different.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #37

we only experienced the "snobby" attitude towards us once and it was from a couple around the same age as we are in a prevost motor coach. They just thought they were a few steps above everyone in the CG. Then in one afternoon it all changed we broke out the chicken rotisserie, pop corn machine, blender, sno cone machine for the kids, etc. and we had a nice little part on our campsite. we had about 20 or so campers there with their kids just hanging out having a good time, They kept walking by our site and kept looking, but the 5th time, I walked up to them with some drinks and said "come join us, we're all the same", they did and turned out they were pretty cool folks. The only difference was, most of us at TT and some had 5'ers, compared to their million dollar coach, but we all had one thing in common, and that was camping, meeting new folks and have a fun relaxing time. I talk to everyone, you just have to approach folks differently.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #38
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I believe I was the recipient of his rant! Like water off a duck's back.
I just smile and wave!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:02 AM   #39
I Break Everything

We weekend-it a lot. My wife and I are both teachers and sports photographers. I teach middle school, my wife high school. Our kids are in college, so we weekend it as much as possible then blow it out over the summer. There are gonna be people that judge you every where you go weather you're in a tent or multi-million $$$ MH. Who cares, is my motto. We started off as tent campers, and went through all the stages. Those people that drive/walk by looking at you like they're godz...I wave at them, make eye contact, "howz it goin" bud" and usually offer them a beverage. They usually look shocked and take their tiny dogs elsewhere pretty quick...or I make a new friend and we drink a cold one. Life is too short to waste on judgmentals.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:14 AM   #40

I always wave at folks while driving down the road headed camping, most don't wave back. Why? I'm excited for them going on there journey to wherever they are headed and wished I was going. Seen a lot of them going this weekend as I was also dragging my 5er and waved and smiled at all of them and only had 2 different ones wave back. I know we waved at over 20 different folks in TTs and pop ups and 5ers and MHs. I just laughed and told my wiener Dog, they are just frustrated they aren't at the camp yet or mad cause they are headed back home. We had fun either way and made our journey safely so all is good. If you see me wave please and I'll be waving also. Happy Camping.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper