Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #61

In North Central Idaho we are all pretty much low key, I guess.
Lots of campers leave every weekend.
Some are fancy...
I'd say most ain't.

Nice people on this site.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:15 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Listen, if I can hang at the beach in either the red or blue chair, I'll go anyday you want!

P.S. well said

X2

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:47 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Listen, if I can hang at the beach in either the red or blue chair, I'll go anyday you want!

P.S. well said
Anytime, I also added a green and a black to the chair arsenal.
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:01 PM   #64

I've never noticed any of that. I've helped and been helped by other RVers... of all segments of the lifestyle. Last time out, I loaned a TTer my spare to get him to town, where he bought 2 new ones. I retrieved my spare and went my way. He tried to pay me... It shouldn't work that way... and didn't... The best way to repay an RVer is to help another RVer that needs it. People can be snobbish if they want to be, but... even the snobs need a hand now and then. It was that way when I was bass fishing, too. I once towed a brand new Ranger to the dock that cost about 3 times what my rig cost... he blew the 250hp power head on his outboard. What a shame... Nice guy. I saw him helping someone else learn to launch a few weeks later... so it wasn't wasted.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #65

I don't think the fellow in the $300k DP was upset or acted snobby when I reset his 150 amp breaker and got his electric BACK. He was out for 12 hrs.

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:51 PM   #66

I have been camping for 46 years. I have been a Weekender, Seasonal and a Workcamper. I will agree that in their million dollar Prevost, there may be some snobs along the way. I have also met people in their million dollar Prevost that were really nice people.

In my years of observing this very question, I have come to the conclusion that the biggest reason there is a conflict, is that there are people who do not comply to "Campground Etiquette".

There is a lack of respect for other people that are paying for their site to get away from the stress in their lives too. They have to listen to loud music, foul language, wild party's, dogs barking and people walking through and children playing on their site.

If all campers just took a moment to consider why their neighbor is there, there would be less animosity.

It is unfortunate that a few have branded "Weekenders" with a bad name, but I believe this is what has happened.
Mrt2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:10 PM   #67

My story is sort of the opposite. We are retired and on a 3 week trip in the Canadian Maritime Provinces. We were camping on Labor Day Weekend on Fundy Bay in New Brunswick, right next to a million dollar MH, a local. At cocktail time we would take our drinks and our chairs down to the shore of Fundy Bay - another family was also there, grandma & grandpa with daughter and little toddler. The MH family came down with their teenage children laughing and goofing around. There happened to be and old tire on the shore - the teenager picks it up and rolls it in the Bay and leaves it there, laughing!! I said to him "are you going to leave it there?" - he says he was not the one that brought it down, it was already there - I said to the other "nice" family - "White Trash with money!!" He finally went into the water and took it out - but UNBELIEVEABLE!! They were the 1% - the other 99 are usually very nice
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:29 PM   #68

I heard a saying many years back when we had our Goldwing motorcycle and had stopped to help a couple of guys with Harley's that had broken down. One of them made a snide remark about a "wing" helping a "hog" when his buddy turned around and told him he should never put another man's ride down. He kind of turned away, tucked his tail, and then tried to pay us when we finished helping him get back on the road - or response was no, just stop & help when you come across someone else stranded on the side of the road.

That saying has always stuck with me and I think it could be applied to this as well...never put another man's rig down. We are all out there to have a good time, enjoy the outdoors and Mother Nature at her finest. We started out in sleeping back on the ground in a tent and gradually worked our way up, and managed to purchase our dream motorhome just before we retired. Do we "look down" on other campers - absolutely not. Everyone has to start somewhere and enjoy what they do and possibly dream (as we did) of having one of those big rigs. But we never look down on anyone for their rig. As far as waving to those we meet/pass along the way - we don't do that (does that make us one of those "snobs"?) as DH is always watching the road, or our toad in the camera, and the current traffic situation. Me...I'm usually curled up with my Kindle or if we're in heavy traffic, helping him watch out for the other drivers. Sorry.
Sloopie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:29 PM   #69
(Dry Huunday)

I guess the moral of the story is don't judge people or a group of people just because of what they drive or when they camp. Get to know them and then decide!

Every group has their 10%! So let's just have fun!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #70

I don't have a problem with people that don't talk to me, or ignore me, or have a tent or million dollar MH.

As someone said before, I have a problem with people who don't follow camp etiquette. Loud noise, walking through others campsites, littering, etc. Basically immature behavior; often fueled by too much alcohol. I've seen quite a few senior "kids" out there who were old enough to know better. But I guess we can't really blame them - we have to blame their parents for not bringing them up properly.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:27 PM   #71

I have seen the rude and the too cool for me. But we have always enjoyed our time camping. We speak and if the don't reply we don't bother them again. Some people just having a bad day or mad at the wife or husband. Never know what people have going on in their life's.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:49 PM   #72

From what I have seen, most of the people in Motor homes never come out of their RV's. We were at the beach camping in Quebec a fews years ago and the campground was full of them. Not friendly at all.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:15 PM   #73

Our youngest son's Kindergarten teacher taught her class "RESPECT" It stuck with me that she would do that & it was 20 years ago.......... That's the bottom line.

I don't worry about what others think, we go to get away & relax whether it's for a week or a weekend......... most people are great...... a few not so much..... But we live in the country so its nice to be around people........ Its nice to be away from work. I try not to sweat the little things.... as I too often deal with people that go to work full well intending to go home that night but can't.

I am a people watcher we are all basically the same. We all had to learn to set up & take down our camps. But did have to help the guy that caught his arm in his manual awning he seemed to be in serious pain.

I really like looking at the old (much over 10 year) campers I like the survivors the 1958 Spartan was one of the coolest ..... Don't look at the 100K plus coaches much......... Definitely hate the people that turn their noses down at the people with old , & not so pretty campers. We were there once.

Try not to put anyone in a group, they definitely are not all the same. I met a multimillionaire once & I would thought he did not have a cent. He was just like everyone else.

Try not to sweat the few rude people, we will probably never see them again.........

Just

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:44 PM   #74
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
True wealth rarely shouts.
How true! That is quote-worthy.

Having spent a career in the biz-jet business, I can completely agree!

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #75

Old cliche

One of the best cliches I have ever heard is, "The smaller the country, the longer the national anthem." This applies to people who put on a front as compensation for their own insecurity or by doing things to draw attention to themselves. Their I's are too close together. Wealthy people who attempt to be snobs are also like some of those small countries and have to flaunt their wealth because they don't have anything else that attracts real friends and honest respect. I rarely see this in the folks I meet camping and that is why I enjoy it so much. Some of the most interesting and solid people I have met are the ones with the second-hand TTs or the MH that is 20 yrs. old.
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:10 PM   #76

DaveandSue. I spoke with Sgt.Dave of the DPD and he stated waving should be saved for the campground. Eyes always on the roadway.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:20 PM   #77
Arn
Arn

After 57 years on earth (about 45 as a camper) I find some of the nicest people I have ever met are campers. You can find snobs in Wal-Mart just like you can find them at restaurants or campgrounds & I find them to be the exception rather than the norm. We started with a tent followed by 2 & 3 tents as the family grew, then an old pop up followed by a 21' travel trailer & now a 30' travel trailer. I disagree with the observation that those with 5'ers & motorhomes look down on others & if you encounter one that does it is probably because that's the way they act even when they aren't camping. There are always a few bad apples no matter where you go, but all in all I'd rate my fellow campers as the cream of the crop!
Old 06-29-2015, 10:52 PM   #78

We camp as often as possible. We have a camp ground 4 miles from home when we are burned out and need to just get away.
I find that most campers are NOT snobs and find they enjoy helping others As they have been there.
Enjoy the journey!
lckeehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by lckeehne View Post
We camp as often as possible. We have a camp ground 4 miles from home when we are burned out and need to just get away.
I find that most campers are NOT snobs and find they enjoy helping others As they have been there.
Enjoy the journey!
Thank you. That is a plus 2
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:07 AM   #80

What trike bubble said!

Tags
camper