Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #1

Why do people feel the need to knock weekend campers?

Hi Everyone, I read alot of different forums about camping, and there seems to be an underlying tone of knocking people that only camp on weekends. I realize there's more people on the weekends, and more inexperienced people. Nobody is born knowing how to do everything, unfortunately you learn through trial and error. The reality is that the majority of people have jobs that only allow them to camp on weekends. I think it is wonderful the people that are retired, and get to camp at there leisure. After working 50 hrs. a week I really look forward to my weekend camping. So instead of being a camping snob and looking down your nose at people that haven't been camping for 20+ years, share your years of wisdom with someone you see doing something wrong. I'm sure they will appreciate it, and you could probably save them from damaging there equipment. Happy Camping, whenever you go!
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abomb View Post
Hi Everyone, I read alot of different forums about camping, and there seems to be an underlying tone of knocking people that only camp on weekends. I realize there's more people on the weekends, and more inexperienced people. Nobody is born knowing how to do everything, unfortunately you learn through trial and error. The reality is that the majority of people have jobs that only allow them to camp on weekends. I think it is wonderful the people that are retired, and get to camp at there leisure. After working 50 hrs. a week I really look forward to my weekend camping. So instead of being a camping snob and looking down your nose at people that haven't been camping for 20+ years, share your years of wisdom with someone you see doing something wrong. I'm sure they will appreciate it, and you could probably save them from damaging there equipment. Happy Camping, whenever you go!

X2
VT Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #3

We were talking about a similar topic last night with the couple in their rig after stoping for the night. They were saying that there is a cast system of sorts with the big million dollar units being the ultimate snobs. I find that interesting. Some of us who have smaller units are well educated professionals and some with bigger units are blue collar guys. It really should not matter. We all do this because we enjoy getting out in nature or traveling and seeing the country. We are still working as well and have camped on weekends in a pop up for years, and now with a TT. Looking forward to retirement in a number of years and traveling more. Just now arriving home from ten days of camping in Tennessee.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:08 PM   #4
Paradise has arrived!

We started in tents packing everything in the back of a Pinto station wagon. Then went to a popup, nothing but two beds. Then to a Shasta. (Wish I still had that one!) And now, after getting older and having travelled all over, we've settled into a 30' Catalina on a permanent site. It's only an hour from home but when we get there it seems years away. I must say I've never seen any snobbery but I'm sure it exists. I still like to watch the tenters pull in and set up. Brings back great memories and I envy them a little.

So I say if you're a little snobby to others who have different ways of camping why don't you stop it and walk by and introduce yourself to one of those "poor" souls you think are less fortunate than you. You'll probably find you have a lot in common.

I think I'm preaching to the choir here because I don't think anyone here fits the description of a snob.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise115 View Post
We started in tents packing everything in the back of a Pinto station wagon. Then went to a popup, nothing but two beds. Then to a Shasta. (Wish I still had that one!) And now, after getting older and having travelled all over, we've settled into a 30' Catalina on a permanent site. It's only an hour from home but when we get there it seems years away. I must say I've never seen any snobbery but I'm sure it exists. I still like to watch the tenters pull in and set up. Brings back great memories and I envy them a little.

So I say if you're a little snobby to others who have different ways of camping why don't you stop it and walk by and introduce yourself to one of those "poor" souls you think are less fortunate than you. You'll probably find you have a lot in common.

I think I'm preaching to the choir here because I don't think anyone here fits the description of a snob.
Well said. I am a weekend warrior as we like to call it. I don't think the issue is so much a cast system or snobbery as it is the holiday weekends. It is not an I'm better than you. My issue is with those that party into the wee hours of the night or disrespect other campers around them. Typically I only see these issues on holiday weekends at state parks but not always. I have had issues like this with people in newer class A rigs as well. Sometimes these people are nearby and I can talk to them. Sometimes they are across the water from us and not easily accessible. I too was a tent camper at one time, met my husband that way. I am sorry you feel you have encountered snobbery. Try talking to the people who think feel this way, there may be a reason and chatting with them may help educate them on their behavior or you if you did something to offend you weren't aware of.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

We've notice it mostly with some folks in motorhomes have an "air" about them that they are just a 'cut' above the 5er/tt folks. However, it doesn't apply to all of them. As a general rule, campers are all friendly.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #7

I like to "destination" camp. So, rarely camp on the weekends (to me, it's not worth the aggravation to setup and tear down for what appears like one day). We had our icebreaker trip in April for 5 days. Due to timing, we didn't get a chance to do our boondock trip in June. Currently getting ready for two 8 day trips in July and another 8 days in August. We've been doing this for over 15 years with campers (Pup's to htt's).
Old 06-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #8

Some people probably ARE snobs (there are always some around), but I think a big part of the issue is the fact that this is a computer forum where we are all just typing away. It' difficult to put a "nice" inflection into anything thing you might be saying, as you might while actually talking to someone. You can't smile on-screen. We try to add emoticons to let someone know if we're kidding around or sad, or whatever, but it's still not like really speaking to someone. You can't see our body language.

So I'd say to try to cut us all some slack; in MOST cases, I don't think it's intentional.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:09 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Never really experienced anything like that around here. For the most part the people on this forum are nice to each other and would probably go out of their way to meet each other when you're in the same park.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-28-2015, 05:12 PM   #10

I camp every weekend to get away from the city life. A lot of people I know do the same

2014 cedar creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 3500 1 ton crew cab 4x4 long bed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
cfiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:19 PM   #11

For the most part I've never experience to snobbish attitude towards me. I am one of those weekend Warriors. What I do have a problem with is the college aged people that pull in next to me in a rental Rv no less than 20 people on there site at any given time they have all night long loud party's that keep me up all night

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Never really experienced anything like that around here. For the most part the people on this forum are nice to each other and would probably go out of their way to meet each other when you're in the same park.
Haven't met any snobs at the rallies (3) I've attended, but sure have @ TT Orlando. The place is full of them.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I agree. I've not picked up on that at all.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:44 PM   #14

We we're weekend campers for years. Finally retired and have a fiver(after trading up from Two TT). We no longer camp on weekends unless it's a destination camp and we're staying a while. I like to leave weekend camping to those who can't go camping any old time they want. I stay away from campgrounds on "major" weekends for the same reason. I never felt anybody snubbed me and I hope like heck no one thought I snubbed them. I felt most campers to be friendly and approachable bunch. Remember, just because someone appears snobby, they could be shy or just very tired and not interesting in visiting other folks.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #15
Site Team

I think it's the "birds of a feather thing." Rich folk hang together, heavy partyers party together, family groups camp together, etc. The problems often occur when different groups camp near each other and find "their space" invaded. Partyers drinking, loud and cursing next to folks with kids. Or johnny builds his campfire up wind from Rockafellow's land yacht, and smoke disturbs his brandy sipping. So many ways to clash.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #16

I consider ourselves seasonal campers, but we camp at different campgrounds!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by abomb View Post
Listen, if I can hang at the beach in either the red or blue chair, I'll go anyday you want!

P.S. well said
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #18

I have seen that in some MH folks. When I do I make it a point to be overly friendly. I hope it drives them crazy.
Charliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #19

. .We have found almost all campers to be friendly and very helpful My problem is with campers who are inconsiderate of others. We just got back from 14 days at Tionesta Pa COE. Great campground. Problem was with some tenters who had 5 tents, 4 vehicles, and 3 unleashed dogs on one site. I believe the rules are 2 tents and one vehicle per site. Campground hosts were 2 sites away and said nothing. Rangers drove past and said nothing. I like my beer as much as anybody, but I should not have to pick up Bud cans up saturday morning out of the grass near the fishing spot, not to mention having to watch them p---ing in the parking lot while kids ride past on their bikes. nuf belly aching. Probably have to take care of it myself.
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:04 PM   #20
Cyber Phrenologist

The universal problem with people, is people.

Pogo said "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Jesus compared humanity to sheep. Not a flattering analogy.

But a quote attributed to Archie Bunker sums it up best, "There is a little bit of me in all of youse."

When we go to the campground, we may leave all our cares behind, but we take who we are with us. Every time. And that explains what's wrong with every camp ground, we are there. We just all need to learn to "Stifle it" as Archie would say.
Attached Images

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper