Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #1

Why do you use rope lights?

DW and I are sitting on the patio and dreaming of camping. The question of rope lights came up and just why do people use rope lights and not some other light sources. We have awning lights but they seem to draw more bugs than the amount of light they output, I have added a dimmer to help lower the light level to reduce bugs. We have the bucket light hung in a nearby tree to spread light to walking areas, of course it has the Alabama Crimson Tide logos so it is also a conversation starter. On our walks around the CG we always see folks who have rope lights laying on the perimeter of the RVs and sitting areas and we have asked several of them just why they use rope lights and the most common answer is ambiance but the most intriguing is keeps the critters away. Does it help keep critters away???

Inquiring minds want to know the real scoop.

HC
TST 507RV TPMS
MaxBrake BC
HemiCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #2

We use the ropelights as "landing lights" first for our pod.... now for the Earth Station!! Though we have to wait til Christmas to purchase more (after Christmas Sale) We seem to think it will keep people from walking into the rig. I am playing a bit with glow in the dark this year for a lamp or two.

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #3

Rope lights are easy to handle, easy to store, no broken bulbs just don't try to bend them at a full 90 degree angle if you break the wire in side part of the lights will stop working....Read the warning on the package " after you handle them wash your hands, rope lights have a lead coating on them"

As far as bugs if you install a yellow light bulb on the extrior of your camper the bugs will stay away..

Installing rope lights or any other lights on an awning was a bad thing for me, if a storm came up most people try to save there awnings from damage so they try to get the awning rolled up before the storm hits, well you have to get the lights off before you can roll the awning up, so I installed rope lights on the bottom of my camper and they stay there all the time and I can see if there is a critter under the camper as well.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:57 AM   #4

I lay rope lights under the TT because I have an electric awning so I don't hang lights on it like I did my manual awning

https://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #5

We like to use rope lights on the ground around campsite. We use blue ones because they are not as bright as white or some other colors. They are easy to setup and don't break if accidentally stepped on. Don't know if they keep critters away. Likely some critters like raccoons would avoid the light. Most important, when the awning needs to be retracted we can just push the button.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #6

We use rope lights and awning lights to give our campsite a festive look.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #7

My DH installed blue rope lights under our TT. Gives our campsite a nice "glow." We had the LED ones installed originally, but they don't give off enough light, so we had to replace them with the regular rope lighting. We use the LED ones around the perimeter of our campsite for ambience. They provide just enough light so you don't trip over stuff in the dark.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Rope lights are easy to handle, easy to store, no broken bulbs just don't try to bend them at a full 90 degree angle if you break the wire in side part of the lights will stop working....Read the warning on the package " after you handle them wash your hands, rope lights have a lead coating on them"

As far as bugs if you install a yellow light bulb on the extrior of your camper the bugs will stay away..

Installing rope lights or any other lights on an awning was a bad thing for me, if a storm came up most people try to save there awnings from damage so they try to get the awning rolled up before the storm hits, well you have to get the lights off before you can roll the awning up, so I installed rope lights on the bottom of my camper and they stay there all the time and I can see if there is a critter under the camper as well.
Seems I have read info about this topic in a previous thread. But one question I had was never really answed.

The rope lights that I have seen have the power cord unscrew at one end of the rope light. So if the rope light it self fits between the side support arms or better yet is shorter in length then the actual awning, couldn't the power cord be quickly disconected if a sudden storm does come and then roll the rope light and awning up together. Does this harm anything in the short term of the storm? I would difinitely take them off when the camping trip ended but I'm just talking about the short term. Is this ok? Or an I risking breaking something in the awning by doing this? So there is the question that was never really explained with that previous thread.
kjoh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I use rope lights around my dump valves and lines in below freezing weather to keep those areas from freezing.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #10

We also use rope lights, but to answer the question... I am not sure that they "keep bugs away" but I am certain they don't attract bugs like a standard party light does. The party lights are brighter, or at least have a brighter bulb. They are generally hung by the awning which is great for bugs to fly around. On the ground, the rope lights give off nice ambient light. They keep you from tripping, and most of all, the bugs don't tend to care about them since they are on the ground and it's not fun to annoy us by flying around the party lights.
cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #11

Um because the door is open?...........No wait a minute.....That's why I jump out of airplanes!!!!!
imabmwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06
Read the warning on the package " after you handle them wash your hands, rope lights have a lead coating on them"
Wow, thought that was illegal. How old are your rope lights?
Indy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #13

I have a set of Rollumup for my lights on our power awning. You can leave them permanently on the awning, they Velcro your lights or whatever you want to hang. If a storm comes up I just quickly un-Velcro the lights and hit the button.
2004 Dodge Ram 1500

2 kids, 2 Grandsons, 1 Granddaughter, 3 fur babies
Lifetimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #14
MI Camperz

One thing I gathered from this thread is possibly a conversation about bug prevention. I think I'll start a thread for healthy, earth friendly ideas. Most campgrounds don't allow fogging for health and environment issues, but mosquitos are so annoying and can also be unhealthy.
Bodzcampers
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote

« TV Cable | Zx50 »