Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
You must be in the great dealer category .

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
Great dealers haha . no doubt dealers can make it easier and there are more bad then good when it comes to dealers . but the buck starts and stops with the manufactures . it should take FR 1 to 3 weeks to approve warranty work then it shouldn't take 1 to 4 weeks to get the parts and then it shouldn't take another 6 weeks to get the wrong parts they sent back and the new parts in
you must be in the great manufacture category
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Lol I am!
3 units ten years and minor issues fixed fast!

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:03 PM   #23

Must admit I was lucky when I purchased my rig used from Buffalo RV. There were some issue that were supposed to have been taken care of prior to me taking delivery that I found out by my own fault of not being more diligent on the PDI were not until the first time out with the camper. To BRV's credit, and co-owner Mark Stroelle he immediately called in the service manager, typed up a tic list of missed repairs and anything else, and gave me his personal cell number to follow up with him if I needed. One repair required the dinette slide to be taken out for new roller guides to be installed and they suggested I do it after the season. Finished up the camping season with out additional issue, "the service mgr. called me to schedule the repair" in late November. The got bogged down, held my rig and did all winterizing and finished the repair in January. All along the service guy would call every couple of weeks with an update and I'd just tell him he has until April to finish the repair.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Lol I am!
3 units ten years and minor issues fixed fast!

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
X2 We have had two Forest River Pumas very very minor issues fixed fast no issues the dealer was great to deal with. Forest River fast with parts. No complaints here............

Would buy from the same dealer again They only have one trailer mechanic the sales guys help him when need be.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:15 PM   #25

No need with us to have bought an extended warranty for us, waste of money all the way around. Bought camper in 2012 not been back for any repairs after the first year that would have been warranty covered just back for a couple of upgrades that I did not want to do myself.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
should take FR 1 to 3 weeks to approve warranty work then it shouldn't take 1 to 4 weeks to get the parts and then it shouldn't take another 6 weeks to get the wrong parts they sent back and the new parts in
We had our trailer in 3 times under warranty - 1st time was at the end of the season. 14 items on the list (minor workmanship stuff I could have fixed, but why should I?) Approved in 2 days, done in 2 weeks, except a mattress - they did the 'ship it in new trailer being delivered' routine to save freight, but that was fine - it was 20 degrees outside.

The other 2 times were during the summer - again both approved in one day. And the dealer did the work the next day both times (no parts needed from the factory) to keep us from missing any trips.

Dealer we bought the first camper from was total opposite - good luck getting anything done in less than a month, oh - and you actually want it fixed right the first time too? FR is by no means perfect, and they evidently let a lot of stuff out of the factory - but the individual dealer can do a lot to make it better or worse.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:23 PM   #27
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
you can blame dealers all you want but the issues start and end with FR
blaming a dealer is a scape goat . it's FR the denies claims not dealers .
The dealer has to SUBMIT a claim to FR and if it is not written up clearly and properly FR will deny it. Unfortunately I have seen what has been submitted in some cases and I wouldn't approve it either.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #28

What Warranty

Most dealers depend on some word of mouth at local camp grounds and blogs. Most manufactures depend on your friendly dealer to correct their mistakes. I always found it nice to advertise both the friendly dealer (until you pull off their site) and the (so what do you expect) manufacture in the show room. We pay too much for lack of concern or do it yourself.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:17 PM   #29

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am trying a proactive approach. I am in the process of selecting a new TT. I like some of the FR products.
So I emailed the manufacture today. Told him ( a rep listed for Surveyor) I like their products, but do not like the stories I hear of poor craftsmanship, poor service and headaches with factory approved repairs. Told them of a post on here from a buyer who took a factory tour. He left with the impression that all the different FR facilities have a competition factor to produce the most units. I wrote that maybe a competition for the least amount of "return for service" calls on certain models should be considered. Maybe they already do this, but you wouldn't know it buy some of the experiences on here.
Just trying to establish some avenue for future correspondence with the factory. Hopefully I won't need it. Hmmm.......
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #30

You might take a look at Grand Design. Even before you do anything send them an Email and they (a real live body in the USA) will get back to you. I'm done with manufactures isolating themselves through lack luster dealers.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:43 PM   #31

At FROG rallies, does FR have a forum to hear the voice of the customer? It sounds like they need a forum where customers can share their experiences and also so FR can give feedback and hopefully confirm they are listening and learning. FR didn't get where it is today by customers having bad experiences with products and dealers, and presuming they want to continue their momentum they need to hear directly the voices of the customers.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #32

Although I consider myself fairly handy, I will quickly acknowledge that "my" repairs probably take many times longer than an rv tech. (I could not afford to pay myself with real dollars.) I recently experienced an electrical problem that was compounded by the fact that I "thought" a particular circuit was working correctly before. My assumption was wrong and it cost me tons of time figuring the problem out, although I did eventually figure it out, and get it repaired. I now understand the wiring to my kitchen slide way better than before.
I say that to say this; as long as the cost of parts is not huge, I much prefer to make my own repairs with my trailer parked in my own driveway. I work on it at my own pace, and in most cases, my "repair quality" is as good as or way better than any rv dealer. I made this decision accepting a certain amount of risk. If I had an air conditioner compressor lock up, I will have to spend some $. Hoping that never happens, but hoping FR will step up to the plate if it does.... I have a friend with an XLR toy hauler that has that exact problem. This unit has 3 air units, and one of them is pulling locked rotor current...less than 4 months old.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:51 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingdunder1 View Post
It is an industry thing. Virtually no service after papers are signed. There are a few good dealers and they should be identified in these forums. The bad dealers should also be identified so we can stay away from them. Owners need to writ to the manufacture and let them know facts of occurances. And, if people attend a manufacturer's rally; that would be an opportunity to publicly ask top management exactly how they intend to improve. Until then, invest in some duct tape.

Good comment. Here is one dealer to avoid in San Marcos, CA. Holland is the worst. My brother-in-law is still trying to get warranty work done on his trailer. Bought new last Spring. Window in dinette warped and won't open. Has been back to dealer several times. Dealer doesn't return calls, blames manufacturer with the typical "waiting on parts" ploy. He is frustrated beyond measure. I now tell everyone I know to not do business with Holland.
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #34

I believe there's opportunity for improvement by dealers and FR. I recently found a dealer who restored my faith. After a blowout on US285 in New Mexico (absolutely one of the worst, roughest roads), sent email to Carlsbad RV Service. The owner responded on a Sunday. Sent a competent tech to site on Monday. Completed basic repairs for a reasonable charge. Referred a good local tire shop. The sales side will not let a new owner leave until they are confident they understand the operations of their new rig. Great people! I would drive many miles to buy a rig from these folks.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #35

One of the techs at our dealership told me that unfortunaly we are the last 50 ft. Of the assyembly line. I believe him.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:49 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingdunder1 View Post
I believe there's opportunity for improvement by dealers and FR. I recently found a dealer who restored my faith. After a blowout on US285 in New Mexico (absolutely one of the worst, roughest roads), sent email to Carlsbad RV Service. The owner responded on a Sunday. Sent a competent tech to site on Monday. Completed basic repairs for a reasonable charge. Referred a good local tire shop. The sales side will not let a new owner leave until they are confident they understand the operations of their new rig. Great people! I would drive many miles to buy a rig from these folks.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm starting a directory to keep in the trailer when we travel. Adding Carlsbad RV Center to the "Good Ones" list. Service Department | Carlsbad RV Service Center New Mexico
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote