Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2016, 03:20 PM   #1

Why is it always a nightmare to just get something fixed!!!

We have a Shamrock 21dk,, Day after we brought it the metal trim on the side blew off on I 75 , almost caused a accident. We got the 24 month extended warranty and now they say they wont pay to fix it.. ARe you kidding me!!! Why do we always have to jump through hoops and call 20 different people to just get something simple done! ughhhhhhh
Sheripoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:39 PM   #2

I'm not disagreeing with your frustration. However one of my good friends had a similar experience. The toilet vent dome/ cover blew off of his camper just a couple weeks after he bought it. He took it in and they at first told him they couldn't fix it. After much kicking and screaming they did it. How ever he learned one really important thing.....

When under manufactures warranty. If it blows off, or is about to blow off, either retrieve it or secure it. As long as you have it to hand to the service rep they will warranty it. If you have lost it or it blew away manufacture can decline the warranty work. He said his rep told him if he has to weld it down, duct tape it, glue it or tie it to something to do so. Once it blows away, that it will become an insurance issue ( at least according to the manufacture).
Old 03-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #3

DFW Rusty,, I do have the trim. We retrieved from the hwy while almost getting ran over.. It's a 6 foot long piece that had one screw in it and a line of glue holding it on.

You would think they would just fix the 50.00 item instead of trying to hold out. It's not even worth the time we spend going back and forth on the phones.. or their image.
Sheripoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:56 PM   #4

That is how warranty works in the RV business as a general rule of thumb meaning there AIN'T none. They either beat you down early on or take it in under warranty and keep your camper for 3-4 months to fix it. Delay delay delay = you giving up on a warranty claim.

My thinks the only way to get a warranty claim is to buy 2 new campers. When one breaks you can afford for the dealership to keep it for 3 months during your busy season ;-)
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:37 AM   #5

Or bring it in during off season, if it's on their lot and your not using it your getting free storage. Maybe if we all did that they would try to hustle the work to free up compound space. Just a thought.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73

2012Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheripoms View Post
We have a Shamrock 21dk,, Day after we brought it the metal trim on the side blew off on I 75

What metal trim? The slide out perimeter flange trim? Do you have a picture or it. I'm sure others would like to know. A friends slide trim blew off on the way back from SD last year on a 233S.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:26 AM   #7

My question is it a dealership issue or a Forest River issue??? If it was just a $50 part and some labor our dealership would have fixed it on a new camper and dealt with Forest River.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:36 PM   #8

Its not just FR. It is all the manufacturers. As TonyD said, its all a game of attrition. The longer they delay and the more they drag their feet, the less they fix and hope you will just fix it yourself.

Legislation needs to be passed that treats RV's like automobiles. And, manufacturers need to have more power over the dealerships, like the automotive industry. Right now, its a free for all and they know it.

It all leaves a bad taste in ones mouth.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins TD, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:12 PM   #9

Did ya know...the term "do it yourself" was coined by the very first person to buy the very first rv!!! And it's been going down hill ever since.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #10

I got lucky. First trip out I was going about 60 and noticed a similar piece flapping badly. I pulled over a found there was zero bracing to hold it on. The other side had it but not this one. I fixed it myself. My dealer is about as scatter brained as anyone can be. If I do it myself at least the guy doing it cares enough to get it right.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #11
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheripoms View Post
We have a Shamrock 21dk,, Day after we brought it the metal trim on the side blew off on I 75 , almost caused a accident. We got the 24 month extended warranty and now they say they wont pay to fix it.. ARe you kidding me!!! Why do we always have to jump through hoops and call 20 different people to just get something simple done! ughhhhhhh
Since you point out the dangerous situation this caused on I75 I hope you intend to report this issue to to the NHTSA so they can investigate the companies failure to build the unite to meet the required safety standards. You may find this is not the first time this has happened, let them know you are reporting it as a concerned road user.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:56 PM   #12

left a unit @ dealership long term waiting for part to come,I stop by one day unannounce went into unit and found the breaker panel cover missing WTF dealer tried to tell me cover was missing when unit was left..I asked where the police station was left came back few days later and there was the cover
locoengnr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:01 PM   #13

I hate to sound like the odd man out but I have owned two FR products which have had small problems . I have called my dealer and with no kicking or screaming they have taken care of my concerns in a very timely manner . I guess I have found a dealer that wants return business and knows how to take care of their customers .
Old 03-15-2016, 07:08 PM   #14

Baba,
Well it's good to know theres an reputable dealer in the RV world nearly all of them "it's the dollar bottom line" and they'll do what they have to do,it exists in ALL Dealerships I've have a unit or 2 and their all the same,just my opinion
locoengnr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:53 PM   #15

It is an industry thing. Virtually no service after papers are signed. There are a few good dealers and they should be identified in these forums. The bad dealers should also be identified so we can stay away from them. Owners need to writ to the manufacture and let them know facts of occurances. And, if people attend a manufacturer's rally; that would be an opportunity to publicly ask top management exactly how they intend to improve. Until then, invest in some duct tape.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:40 AM   #16

Mfg xtended warranty vs Good sam warranties

Through out the forums I have heard manufacturer's warranties and wait times to get things fixed leave a little to be desired. Has anyone bought a Good Sam warranty and are they any better or worth the $$$$$. I bought our TT from a dealer 1 1/12 hours from home so I took it to Campingworld which is about 20 minutes away. The TT was in there for 3 weeks while they got FR's OK to replace the thermometer on my thermostat (plus a few other minor things I wanted done). I'd rather have warranty work done asap and be out at the camp site.
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by locoengnr11 View Post
Baba,
Well it's good to know theres an reputable dealer in the RV world nearly all of them "it's the dollar bottom line" and they'll do what they have to do,it exists in ALL Dealerships I've have a unit or 2 and their all the same,just my opinion
All dealers are not the same. There are very good ones around, and there are lousy ones. Learned that lesson the hard way and spent a few hundred dollars more the second time to buy from a top notch dealer. The little extra on the front end paid off big time in terms of service & support after the sale. We had zero issue with the unit when picked it up - not even the piles of saw dust and shavings so many people complain about, and they painlessly and quickly took care of some small issues over the next 2 years under warranty.

The OP doesn't say if she has contacted FR to get their side of the story. This whole issue may be over the dealer not doing their part to submit the claim properly - as seems to happen frequently.

And the other thing that just amazes me is the manufacturers seem to have zero interest in forcing dealers to improve. Every car, cel phone, and lost of other products sold result in survey after you buy it. Car dealers spend a half hour prepping you for the survey from the manufacturer. That one step by the manufacturer would force poor performing dealerships to improve (assuming there is some consequence tied to low scores). The fact that the manufacturers don't do it speaks volumes about where their priorities are. Thankfully, some dealers just do the right thing because that's how they operate. Too bad you don't really know the good ones from the bad ones most of the time until after you bought.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #18

I decided not to respond
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #19

you can blame dealers all you want but the issues start and end with FR
blaming a dealer is a scape goat . it's FR the denies claims not dealers .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:55 AM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
you can blame dealers all you want but the issues start and end with FR
blaming a dealer is a scape goat . it's FR the denies claims not dealers .

You must be in the great dealer category .

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote