Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 79
Why is this emergency breakaway switch not working?

While I'm replacing tires today & since it's jacked up I decided to check the breakaway. pulled the pin but brakes did not lock up drums spin?????

Yes I have 12v to it!
What is your experience with this?
__________________

__________________
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #2
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyer View Post
While I'm replacing tires today & since it's jacked up I decided to check the breakaway. pulled the pin but brakes did not lock up drums spin?????

Yes I have 12v to it!
What is your experience with this?
Did you spin the drums while the pin was pulled? The drums have to turn to engage the magnets and the magnets grab the mechanism and engage the shoes. Usually take about 1/8-1/4 turn.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
geotex1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 730
Well, if you have +12VDC at the magnet, do you have ground?
__________________
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #4
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyer View Post
While I'm replacing tires today & since it's jacked up I decided to check the breakaway. pulled the pin but brakes did not lock up drums spin?????

Yes I have 12v to it!
What is your experience with this?
Just to be sure, when you say you have 12V to it, do you mean from your trailers battery or from your vehicle?

The breakaway is wired to pull power from the trailers battery (which is the only way it can get power if it breaks away from the tow vehicle). If for some reason, you have the trailers battery disconnected or removed, then the breakaway will not work.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 79
OldCoot, I spun drums


geotex, I assume wiring is all intact everything else works! May hve to trace wiring back to brakes huh?
__________________
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:33 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Just to be sure, when you say you have 12V to it, do you mean from your trailers battery or from your vehicle?

The breakaway is wired to pull power from the trailers battery (which is the only way it can get power if it breaks away from the tow vehicle). If for some reason, you have the trailers battery disconnected or removed, then the breakaway will not work.
trailer battery
__________________
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #7
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyer View Post
trailer battery
If the trailer brakes work when hooked to the tow vehicle, I would suggest starting at the breakaway switch itself, and trace from there.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
geotex1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyer View Post
OldCoot, I spun drums


geotex, I assume wiring is all intact everything else works! May hve to trace wiring back to brakes huh?
Test at brakes first, then work back against what you don't have there. Just because everything above deck works doesn't mean the ground point for the brakes is good for instance. I've had breakaway switches actually fail with a piece of the pin in them and not trip.
__________________
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:41 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 79
Ok...looks like wiring only goes to left side I have right side jacked up right now. I'll post back once I get to that side.
__________________
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:44 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
geotex1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyer View Post
Ok...looks like wiring only goes to left side I have right side jacked up right now. I'll post back once I get to that side.
Wiring to that side should be on the axle tube with some version of crimp connector behind the backing plate. Test there.
__________________

__________________
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.