Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #221
(Kim)

Multi quote a reply =]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovair View Post
Labzy (and everyone else who wants to know how), for each quote you'd like to include, you have to click the multi quote icon (the one with the red arrow), then you need to click the post reply button.
After you click the post reply button, you'll be taken to the reply editor where you can see the quotes lined up for you to comment on.
Aha....so this is how it is done!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovair View Post
If you had to step on a turd, would you prefer to step on a coyote turd or a human turd? It DOES make a difference.

I don't. I use that to rinse the sand off my shoes. You actually use that to take a "shower"? Oh Margaret.

I guess that explains why some campgrounds smell like a latrine.
I finally know how to do this!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
I'm envious at your ability to multi-quote your reply.

I have tried....but to no avail.......
Thanks so much Ovair!!!

DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Old 11-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #222
RV Newbie

So, you wish to justify doing something illegal with examples of things that are legal???? Don't think that will hold up in any court. Wasn't that Dr Conrad Murray's defense, "I killed Michael Jackson while doing something that is legal in a different setting...."

Washing off sand and mud (mostly nature back to nature) with a gallon or so of clean water is a bit different from dumping 20 or 30 gallons of nasty smelling untreated and half fermented gray water on the ground.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
Old 11-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #223

Again grey water is not fermented if you let it run directly from the shower to the ground (keep grey tank open) that is no different from using an outside shower, such as mentioned before at Edisto Beach and every other beach in the summer.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by we2lovecamping View Post
Again grey water is not fermented if you let it run directly from the shower to the ground (keep grey tank open) that is no different from using an outside shower, such as mentioned before at Edisto Beach and every other beach in the summer.

I didn't agree with dumping at the start, but this statement does make sense.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Old 11-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #225
KRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
a government that processes most of the human waste for us
That's funny right there. Although, I think they create alot of their own human waste
Cummins exhaust brake
Air bags
Old 11-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #226

They are human waste! Or waste of humans. Throw the bums out with the grey water!
Old 11-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #227
KRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
They are human waste! Or waste of humans. Throw the bums out with the grey water!
Cummins exhaust brake
Air bags
Old 11-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Agreed!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #229

I have 3 waste tanks on my TT. Gray water from the shower, gray water from the kitchen sink with food waste from washing dishes and the black water tank. The gray water from my shower tank is clean compared to the gray water from the kitchen tank. So there is gray water and GRAY water.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #230

But there again tent campers as well as others that like to cook and clean up outside dump dishwater with food particles in it on the ground---still GRAY water.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #231

Quote:
The world would be a much different place if we did not control how and where we processed human waste. Anyone every visit Trenchtown in Jamaica? Guess what the trenches running down the center of the roads are for. Thankfully, we have some rules in this country and a government that processes most of the human waste for us to prevent a mess like that.
Been there and thats not where the name comes from nor what the roads are for. You are misinformed.

There seems to be plenty of arrogance and condescension to go around, as much from the "experts" and "teachers" chiding and scolding in this thread as anyone else.

Ppl need to lighten up a bit. I mean, are sewer-like campsites really an epidemic we need to be concerned about? I can't say I've ever seen one.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #232

Not a big Wiki fan, but here's what they have to say:
"The neighborhood gets its name from its previous designation as Trench Pen, 400 acres of land once used for livestock by Daniel Power Trench, an Irish immigrant of the 18th century (descendants of the Earls of Clancarty). The Trench family abandoned the land in the late 19th century. It is a common misconception that the name comes from the large open storm-water drain that runs through the neighbourhood in the middle of Collie Smith Drive."

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Old 11-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #233

Whoo Hoo, # 233 here I am. And by the way, I have a drain field/septic system on my 1.3 acres of land and I dump all kinds of crap in it, really.........CRAP. My well is tested on a 12 month basis for crap I do not want to be drinking and I must say, my well water tastes better than any city water and always comes up pristeen.. I do not condone dumping grey water at campsites but if an emergency happens, then dump a controlled amount. That being said, I have been known to dump grey water when said emergency happens. When you have 3 visiting kids with 4 grandchildren stopping by for a day, well the grey tank fills with the brushing of teeth, washing of dishes, etc... That being said, I have never been at a campsite that smelled of grey water. Really, I have never, never smelled this odious matter some folks speak of. I live in South West Georgia and camp at Lake Blackshear Veterans State Park all the time. Never have I had a problem there. Now there I go, I admit, I have dumped grey water a time or two, simply to relieve an overflow. Nothing big mind you but to simply to relieve the overflow. Now I am going home to wash my camper, with Dawn dishwashing detergent, and rinse the camper off on my driveway so it will flow off into my septic system which is located one thousand feet from the creek. Publix shopping center opened this year and they drain the parking lot, with all that oil drippings, RIGHT INTO THE KINCHAFOONEE CREEK where I live.
2001 Z-71
One great 16 yr old son
Great wife
Two dogs, Ziggy and Zaggy
Old 11-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I live in South West Georgia and camp at Lake Blackshear Veterans State Park all the time.
That's a nice state park. We camped there about 3 years ago on Veterans Day weekend. They had some pretty cool displays setup with people dressed up in different period military uniforms. We really liked watching all the R/C planes at the field there too.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
Much earlier in my career, while working as a building and utilities inspector, I did a lot of work with sewer and water districts. It was a commonly known fact that communities that installed municipal sewer systems, unless they were "high ground water" communities, had to look at deepening wells, or installing municipal water about a decade later.

The ground is a giant filter, and you cannot remove water from the overall system without replenishing it. That said, the bacteria that lives in septic tanks does much of the cleaning of the effluent that enters the tank. If you look at (or smell) the water being forced OUT of a septic tank into the distribution laterals, you'll find that, in a properly installed and maintained system, that this water is clear and virtually oderless.

I certainly wouldn't drink it, but that's what filters through the ground and back into the ground water drinking sources.....

No such bacteria action occurs in our holding tanks, so dumping grey or black on the ground is not the same.
i'm in one of those high water areas. i have a mechanical sewer. air is forced in to increase the bacteria action. the effluent is then dumped into a ditch. the later versions use a sprinkler system to replace the ditch. field lines were not, and still aren't, allowed in this area. the alternative was an aeriation pond. didn't want that.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #236
RV Newbie

Did not say it was named for the open sewers that do in fact exist.

"Trench Town, the symbol of government oppression in Tosh and Marley's reggae songs, is a conglomeration of cement shacks and open sewers that serves as public housing. It is the island's most notorious ghetto."

Me thinks you visited the "tourist" sections of Trenchtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus

Been there and thats not where the name comes from nor what the roads are for. You are misinformed.

There seems to be plenty of arrogance and condescension to go around, as much from the "experts" and "teachers" chiding and scolding in this thread as anyone else.

Ppl need to lighten up a bit. I mean, are sewer-like campsites really an epidemic we need to be concerned about? I can't say I've ever seen one.
Not sure how advocating complying with the law is being arrogant and condescending. As I watch PSU students rioting, putting their ironic coach ahead of the young victims of a pedophile and watch this thread find new lows I worry about this country...
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
Old 11-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #237

Confused over Gray Water?
Gray water is a term which is legally defined state by state as well as a term used by the RV industry to identify the contents of one of the two waste tanks on onRV. Thus you have numerous "definitions" of what gray water is and depending on who is speaking it can make a big difference. Confusion arises because the RV industry considers kitchen sink waste "gray water" while the EPA and most state health departments consider it sewage. To add to the confusion many communities advocate the practice of reusing/recycling gray water for landscape use. Do not let this confuse you, when talking about gray water recycling they normally exclude water from a food preparation sink.
The easiest legal definition I found on line was the Arizona definition:
R18-9-701(4) “Gray water” means wastewater collected separately from a sewage flow that originates from a clothes washer, bathtub, shower, and sink, but does not include wastewater from a kitchen sink, dishwasher, or toilet.”
This is similar to most state laws I have read on the issue and I point out that they exclude water from a kitchen sink. Well, if it is not gray water what is the water that comes out of your sink? It's legally sewage! As it has been explained to me kitchen sink waste contains solids including grease, and food particles that are not normal found in the wastewater from a hand washing sink.
When you think about it, kitchen sink waste is the majority of the water from a pop up. Many pop up campers moved up from tent camping where washing the dishes in a pan and then dumping the water in the bushes is common and accepted practice. But, when we deal with the issue of dumping gray water on the ground from pop ups we can't look at the discharge from a single camper, but the combined discharge of all the campers who will use a single campsite over a camping season or longer. Many people feel "soapy water, in moderation, actually helps in soil emulsification", which is technically correct, but there is a difference in the amount you may spray on your lawn and the amount 40 or 50 campers will dump on a single campsite over a season if they don't collect and dispose of it properly. Without gray water containment we will have a concentration of soap and other residues dumped in a very small location.

found this on another RV website

Old 11-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #238
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

So with that last post this thread is treading water?
Old 11-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #239

Quote:
Did not say it was named for the open sewers that do in fact exist.

"Trench Town, the symbol of government oppression in Tosh and Marley's reggae songs, is a conglomeration of cement shacks and open sewers that serves as public housing. It is the island's most notorious ghetto."

Me thinks you visited the "tourist" sections of Trenchtown.

Not sure how advocating complying with the law is being arrogant and condescending. As I watch PSU students rioting, putting their ironic coach ahead of the young victims of a pedophile and watch this thread find new lows I worry about this country...
I lived in Kingston Jamaica for 6 months in college. I have been traveling to the island 2 or 3 times a year for two decades.

I am familiar with the area.

PSU students rioting has nothing to do with the topic. The new lows seem to be inferring that participants in this discussion are somehow comparable to these students?

As I said before. People need to lighten up, stop judging and give the other people in this forum and this topic the benefit of the doubt instead of drawing lines in the sand.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #240

Wow. This is a classic example of why things are screwed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill U View Post
I have been known to dump grey water when said emergency happens. When you have 3 visiting kids with 4 grandchildren stopping by for a day, well the grey tank fills with the brushing of teeth, washing of dishes, etc...
I read this as "I'm lazy. It's too inconvenient to make a trip to the dump station or tell the kids to go to the campground bathroom so as not to overfill the tanks" Really, it's a selfish attitude. "My needs come first over everyone elses"

Quote:
That being said, I have never been at a campsite that smelled of grey water. Really, I have never, never smelled this odious matter some folks speak of.
I've never seen someone shot and killed so although I hear about it a lot never really happens. Sounds kinds stupid, huh? How much different is it than what you said?

Quote:
I live in South West Georgia and camp at Lake Blackshear Veterans State Park all the time. Never have I had a problem there. Now there I go, I admit, I have dumped grey water a time or two, simply to relieve an overflow. Nothing big mind you but to simply to relieve the overflow.
So it's ok if it's "just to relieve the overflow" - I think that's the reason drunks use to pee in an alley. It does not make it right - or excuse it IMO.

Quote:
Publix shopping center opened this year and they drain the parking lot, with all that oil drippings, RIGHT INTO THE KINCHAFOONEE CREEK where I live.
Another classic - "they're worse than me, so I can do it a little bit" OK, go steal money then - Madoff and wall street did it, so can you!

Right is right, wrong is wrong. In some things there are grey areas (no pun intended) but with dumping of grey water its' pretty black and white.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
Closed Thread