Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:47 PM   #121

Taking an idea from the grey water recycling projects has anyone ever seen or thought of modifying their water system so that grey water is used to flush the toilet instead of wasting fresh clean water for it ?

Old 09-26-2011, 02:42 AM   #122

i like ur idea. the flush water would have to be separated from the fresh water. could be done with a couple of backflow presenters (on the fresh) at the toilet to keep the gray out of the fresh. u would also want a check to prevent fresh from going into the gray inadvertently.

it could be done and done legally but it would take some thought. I believe i would take a sample of it and put it in the toilet (for a day) and see if there is a noticeable smell before i spent any money trying it.

my last trailer, when i filled the grey and it came up into the tub, it was surprisingly unpleasant. it had only one gray tank.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #123
Lottery Non-Winner

Flushing the toilet (black) with gray water is a great water saving idea. The gray water would have been discharged without further utility, but flushing with it would reuse it and thereby save fresh water that would have been used. It would also reduce the rate at which the gray tank filled up to capacity.
Perhaps a Forest River rep will read this thread and be an industry leader in this regard.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Old 09-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #124

I'd think you'd have to filter the grey to use it as flush water. Wouldn't it eventually clog the lines running to the toilet?
Old 09-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #125
RV Newbie

I think you would be affecting the size of the tanks quite a bit but sounds good. The black water tank might need to increase in size, seems all waste water would end up there sooner or later.

I am thinking you would NOT have to cross link the flush water to the potable water, separate pump and a separate fill to add fresh water to the grey tank to give you flush water until or when there was no grey water.

Maybe there would be a small component in the system that filtered and treated the water to address Jim's concerns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlurker
Taking an idea from the grey water recycling projects has anyone ever seen or thought of modifying their water system so that grey water is used to flush the toilet instead of wasting fresh clean water for it ?
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
Old 09-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #126
(Kim)

I think when we all camp, we are ever so conscious of our water supply, fresh and dirty.
I know that I am always thinking 3 steps ahead and everything is planned so as to use as little fresh as possible and also not fill up the waste tanks too fast.
I find this carries over into our daily life at home and we are more wary about our water use than ever.
Using some gray water as toilet flush water would be a great mod!
Perhaps the water draining out from the shower and bathroom sink would be the easiest to use as far a location goes, as kitchen sink water as mentioned before would have too much food particles and grease in it and would clog the lines.
Even a small accessory tank perhaps under the sink, collecting bathroom water, with it's own pump and manually engaged valves for opening or closing the tank depending upon it's supply and demand, could be used.
I am curious to see what some of you more 'technically advanced' people can add to this possibility.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Old 09-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #127

could use two different flush valves and make the tie in on the toilet side. that way as far as ur fresh supply, it would be any different than flushing the way we do now. the toilet would have be designed to do this sense opening the valve to the toilet also opens the water in. i'd still use the backflow presenters in the fresh line just before the toilet flush valve.
i believe if i had to add a filter (activated charcoal...maybe?), that would be the deal breaker for me. it would still be in the back of my mind that one week/yr when i haul one tank to the dump each day except the first and last...
Old 09-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post

Using some gray water as toilet flush water would be a great mod!

snip

I am curious to see what some of you more 'technically advanced' people can add to this possibility.
Mine is almost too complicated. I use a dish pan and carry the water into the bathroom to flush down the toilet.

My tanks are 30gl FW, 30gl GW and 30gl BW so I actually do this to extend my stays. Like most, we don't fill the black tank very fast.

Wish they gave an option when ordering to change to 35gl FW, 35gl GW and 20gl BW.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Old 09-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Like most, we don't fill the black tank very fast.

Wish they gave an option when ordering to change to 35gl FW, 35gl GW and 20gl BW.
I couple of camping trips ago we had filled up the grey tank by the last evening, and the black tank hadn't hit 1/3 yet. (And no- I didn't dump it on the ground, I took a Rubbermain bin, filled that, and then brought it into the trailer and dumped it down the toilet.)

So that got me thinking about water pressure and another solution. I cleaned out my black tank at home, and then filled my grey tank with water. I then made sure the drain cap was in place, and opened the grey valve to fill the cavity between the vavle and the drain cap. Then I opened my black valve, and sure enough- the pressure from the grey tank pushed water into the black tank. As soon as I heard the flow of water slowing down I shut the black valve first; and then the grey valve.

The black tank was now reading water in it, and the grey tank had dropped from full to 1/3. In my system that means about 15 gallons of grey made it into the black tank. Yes, there is still about a litre of water left near the drain cap, but once again a small container could be used to collect that to be dumped down the toilet.

So before anybody tries this with real waste, I would try it with clean water as I did. The other thing with the discussion of mods; I think it would be a lot easier to create a mod that allows the middle of the grey tank to drain into the top of the black. Once again the water pressure of a full grey should push enough water into the black to make a difference.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Good ideas. Adding something like this would help...

As for connecting the gray and black tanks, you would have to figure in the issue of the water flowing up from the gray (because the pipe is in the middle of the tank) to the black (with the pipe at the top of the tank).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Closed Thread