Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
As for connecting the gray and black tanks, you would have to figure in the issue of the water flowing up from the gray (because the pipe is in the middle of the tank) to the black (with the pipe at the top of the tank).
Well you would only use it when the grey tank is full; so there would be the weight of the water to push it up. Keeping in mind the height of the tanks; the water only needs to flow a couple of inches against gravity, and if 15 gallons is moving that is 120 pounds of water to start the flow. After the flow starts I am thinking syphon action kicks in for the rest.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #132
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Then I opened my black valve, and sure enough- the pressure from the grey tank pushed water into the black tank. As soon as I heard the flow of water slowing down I shut the black valve first; and then the grey valve.

The black tank was now reading water in it, and the grey tank had dropped from full to 1/3.
Nice idea=]

Since we mostly camp for extended weekends of approx 4 nights, we never have enough in the BW to dump, always have lots of FW left over, and I end up wasting FW by using it to get the BW to at least 2/3 so we can dump.
If what you are suggesting is foolproof :P I will be doing this from now on.

DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Old 09-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Well you would only use it when the grey tank is full; so there would be the weight of the water to push it up. Keeping in mind the height of the tanks; the water only needs to flow a couple of inches against gravity, and if 15 gallons is moving that is 120 pounds of water to start the flow. After the flow starts I am thinking syphon action kicks in for the rest.
Ah, makes sense.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Old 09-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlurker View Post
[I][COLOR=slategray]THE ORIGINAL THREAD WAS A

IT IS NEVER A MATTER OF PERSONAL OPINION IF WE SHOULD DUMP GREY ONTO CAMPSITES OR NOT. THE CAMPGROUND RULES DICTATE THAT IT SHOULD NOT BE DONE.
AGAIN: It depends on what campsites you use. In the U.S., with your huge population I can see your problem. Up here in the back sticks of Canada, we do not have a population problem, 90% of government campsites, not close to big cities, are vastly under used. There are no sani-dumps available at these sites to get rid of the grey water. When the black tank fills up, then you start using the out houses. (open pits in the ground with a smelly shed over it). They do not want grey water dumped into the outhouse pits as it washes the sides out of the pit and the out house collapses into the pit.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #135

almost 15 pages! Did this push it over the edge? Oh come on lets reiterate it some more!!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #136
Lottery Non-Winner

It's not a matter of having more gray water pressure to push the black water back, and using those valves would have nothing to do with it.
We all now flush with the foot pedal and either city water through a clean supply line OR..... fresh water from the fresh water tank using the pump.

All you'd have to do is put in an separate pump; a "toilet only pump" as it were, and put the pick up tube into the gray tank.

This way if you're on city water it works as normal. If there's no city water, you turn the pump on (only this time it would be the "toilet only pump") and you'd flush as if you were using the regular pump except it will be the new/separate pump and be pumping gray water instead of fresh water.

No mixing, no cross contamination concerns with the fresh tank, no worries, and your consumption of fresh water would be reduced because you won't be using any for flushing. And your gray won't fill up as fast because part of it will end up in the black tank (which won't fill up any faster because you won't be flushing any more than usual).

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Old 09-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #137

Hey baldy, I think they have somehow turned this thread. Think we may make 15 pages!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #138

dumping tank water regardless of color is worng if you did it in the wrong place..

However here is another one for you and the reason why I now carry a small bottle of bleach.
In the last 2 campgrounds I've witnessed 4 people, 2 elderly people, 2 mid 30's washing out their sewer hoses by using ... the drinking water spiggit at the utility poles.

Then people like you and i come along the next day and hook our white drinking water hose to the same spiggit to the water outlet thinking it safe to do so

Now their washing the crapper hose at the tap was not with a grey hose for dirty water like mine at 25 feet in length but directly onto the tap.

Its why we don't drink the water in Campgrounds
Old 09-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Hey baldy, I think they have somehow turned this thread.
Thank God !!!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
AGREED, but you don't have to shout it. LOL

I gotta laugh when someone says, "it is just soapy water." Gotta ask why does the water have soap in it? To release the oils, grease, dirt, good and bad germs, dead skin cells, hair, and crud from what you are soaking in that water, maybe. normally oil and water do not mix, the addition of soap allows oils to disperse in water and be rinsed away. That supposedly innocent soapy mix is loaded pathogens that can multiple and make others sick.

If you would not clean your counter tops with this soapy grey water crud why would you place it where others could come into contact with it. Especially kids.
This is a little off topic but:
When I was a kid we never had the likes of hand sanatizer and if you didn't wash your hands every two seconds that was OK. You look at things now-a-days and every time you touch something you have to run and wash your hands???? This in its own bad way has made the human body unable to fight off any bacteria that it comes in contact with and society as a whole is only making this worse. Do you go out and get the flu shot every year???? "I don't", simply because I would like to know that my body can take care of itself if it comes in contact with anything bad. Never have I went and got the flu shot and never have I been sick with the flu. If the body always has to depend on a flu like drug to keep it safe what will happen to it that one time that it doesn't get that drug?? I know that this is way off topic of grey water but when I read about germs and viruses it just makes me laugh thinking back to when I grew up compared to now. Guess what, you know the old saying "a little bit of dirt never killed anyone". Just keep going and getting those needles stuck in your arms and you will be OK. Regards: Dr. Shabby!!!!!!!!

HAPPY CAMPING "EH" !!!!
Closed Thread