Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #41

There are areas that like you to dump "GREY" water to help water the greenery, especally areas that are by nature very arid.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
Old 09-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #42

Dumping grey water

We never used to think too much about dumping the grey water out onto the ground at campsites, but that was before it was un-green to do so. Now with all the regulations and laws? allthough I haven't actually seen one, I would never dump my tank onto the ground. Our last camping trip our grey tank was filled to the top(almost anyway), I unhooked out TT and took it to the dump station, what a pain in the a@@,lol. My wife and I have now decided we are either going to only stay in full service CG or are going to get a honey wagon and bring it along, no more moving the TT in the middle of out camping trip.

Dennis

F'ton N.B. Canada
Old 09-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #43

Dumping Grey Water

Wow, this topic is getting a lot more coverage than I ever thought it would. Nice thread, lots of opinions, and no red-necked come-backs. Respect is what I like about this forum. Respect for each other and respect for each persons opinion. What would be the point if we all agreed with everything? There are a lot of opinions on this thread, and each one is probably right.

I think our comments are coming from our own experiences in the type of campgrounds we stay in.

If you live in a highly populated area where you have to make a reservation to stay in a campground and the sites are booked every day for the season, then I can fully understand the comments of not wanting grey water dumped. Yeah, it would stink.

There are the other campers who stay in the 'remote sites' with a minimum of activity and if the previous camper, a few days ago, maybe a week ago, dumped their grey water, you would never know it.

The latter is the type of campgrounds we have around here. The shrubs and bushes are lush green and grass surrounds the campsites. Go out 20 yards into the bush and it is crispy dry and dust.

It is our different experience as to what a campground is that forms our opinions.

Which brings up a question of outside showers on our trailers??? Where does the water go in the outhouses in a campground? An outhouse here is a pit (never pumped) with a stinky shed over it. Our campgrounds don't have public flush toilets or showers in them. Fresh water, if they have it, is a single pump and handle. No dumping stations. Haul it to town and dump at the municipal campground.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #44
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
What about tenters?

Old 09-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #45

Dumping grey water

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
What about tenters?
Tents have holding tanks now? Man, camping has come a long ways!
Old 09-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #46

I think he meant what do tenters do with their grey water? I know you were having some fun, but it brings up a valid point. I will agree most tenters will produce less grey water, they still end up dumping it on the ground or in the fire pit.

Or like RubenZ said; he rinses his utensils- which also puts grey water onto the ground.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #47

I went to the dumping station to dump and when I removed the sewer cover, out poured gallons of grey water all over my feet, legs and arms. My little nephew, being the inquisitive and exploring type, apparently opened the grey water gate the night before. At least he got the blame. I wouldn't do a stupid thing like forget to close the gate after my last dump. I didn't notice this when I removed the sewer cover. Grey water stinks, is greasy , and I wouldn't want toe be stepping in that at any campsite where the camper before me dumped his grey tanks.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Old 09-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #48

There is a way to keep the grey water from stinking. Add about 1/4 gl clorox to and empty grey tank then fill with water and let set for a bit. The only reason grey water stinks is when there's a significant amount of food waste going into the grey tank. I usually flush my grey tank about every other month.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
Old 09-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #49
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Grey water stinks, is greasy , and I wouldn't want toe be stepping in that at any campsite where the camper before me dumped his grey tanks.

Gee, I wonder what causes that stink? Could it possibly be bacteria?

Old 09-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post

... I can bet they wouldn't think of watering their lawns/gardens at home with it.

Actually We had a lemon tree that had roots burst into a sewer pipe we had. That sucker got water every time the sink was run and toilet flushed Needless to say it was the BEST producing LEMON tree anyone probably saw They were the JUCIEST Lemons we'd ever seen. In fact back in the days people out in the country would have their Washing Machine Drain go to the outside to water stuff.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
Closed Thread