Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #21

If you wash your car in the driveway you're dumping grey water on the ground. Tens of gallons, not a good idea merely due to volume. Shower water, prob not a good idea if you're using all sorts of junk for your hair. A little dishwater, I don't have a problem. Sink runoff, I don't have a problem. I have no grey tank, just a bucket fro the outside sink drain. No shower, no toilet. Prob takes 4-5 days to get 5 gallons worth of grey. I don't hesitate to use the grey to help douse the fire at nightl

I'm not into making campsites muddy for others nor into destroying the Eco any more than necessary, but it can be taken too far, I mean, camping itself harms the Eco. And worse things from our society wash down a river after a storm than some dishwater from my bucket in the fire.

Anyone who's fertilizing their lawns is doing much more destruction to the Eco than all the dish tubs from camping combined,

Perspective. Don't be stupid, common sense. You know what's in the Grey water so you yourself know the potential damage better than anyone.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #22

Hey Coreyhunt, what are you talking about, my drain went into the bucket, and then when i was finished, i would dump the pail into the proper dumping station, so i don't understand your coment at all
Old 09-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #23

So I'm just curious where you guys think the grey water and waste in the dump station goes

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
Old 09-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF-Kevin
Hey Coreyhunt, what are you talking about, my drain went into the bucket, and then when i was finished, i would dump the pail into the proper dumping station, so i don't understand your coment at all
Hey TF-Kevin. I understand what you were saying. I was being sarcastic saying how dare you and I care about the environment. Just a little humor.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #25

I don't dump my grey in campgrounds, but is anyone aware of how a septic tank system drainfield works? That "clear" water that comes out towards the drainfield is just about equal to what you guys have as grey water, probably worse. These are used all of the time in RURAL areas. Granted, I wouldn't want to camp on a septic tank drainfield; but it isn't as bad as some think. If I am boondocking, the gray water draining out in an open field is not an issue, at least to me. No other campers are nearby, however. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
Old 09-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
So I'm just curious where you guys think the grey water and waste in the dump station goes
Into a big concrete tank that likely leaks to allow the solids to be "digested" then off to the weeping bed.

As a matter of fact there are numerous homes that have this type of waste water treatment system. A septic system!

When you dump your grey water on the ground, you're skipping the tank.

Sewage treatment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Greywater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is definitely more acceptable to take it to the dumping station.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #27

When you dump the gray water it has food items from the dishes that you washed. If everyone was to dump their gray water onto the ground the CG would smell like an outhouse in very little time.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #28
Villa Estate 392FLFB

I dont get how people dump the grey and even the black *yuck* down the highway... I felt bad about even doing that on the maiden voyage home with virgin tanks that were filled with tap water to check for leaks etc.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #29

caper's point needs repeating;
"When you dump the gray water it has food items from the dishes that you washed. If everyone was to dump their gray water onto the ground the CG would smell like an outhouse in very little time."

Those who think there's nothing wrong with it probably don't stick around to see what their "grey" water smells like a few days later. And since few do it, they think it is just fine. If they pulled into a site where the previous ten campers dumped their grey water on the site, I'd bet they would be the first to complain.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #30

I guess it depends on the people. We use paper plates and utensils when we camp so We never wash dishes. But I could see where this would be bad.

Ruben Zamora
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
Old 09-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #31

Quote:
We use paper plates and utensils when we camp so We never wash dishes.
No pots and pans? What about other utensils? Even if you cook eveything over the fire, there has to be something you used to turn your steak, etc.

Not sure where I stand on the issue; just it bugs me when I talk about "doing the dishes" when camping, and people think I must mean just plates.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
When you dump the gray water it has food items from the dishes that you washed. If everyone was to dump their gray water onto the ground the CG would smell like an outhouse in very little time.
Exactly! Let those food scraps, soap, grease, whatever, sit in your gray tank for a few days. I swear the smell is JUST AS BAD as a black tank! Campers who dump this on the ground on purpose should be banned from the campground. YUCK.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #33

At our CG if the owner knows that you have dumped your gray water on the ground you are asked to leave and are charged a fee for clean up of your site.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
No pots and pans? What about other utensils? Even if you cook eveything over the fire, there has to be something you used to turn your steak, etc.

Not sure where I stand on the issue; just it bugs me when I talk about "doing the dishes" when camping, and people think I must mean just plates.

I rinse all the stuff I use to bbq outside and put it in a plastic bag and leave it behind truck and wash when we get home. I probably should mention we have never camped more than 2 nights. And usually 2nd night we eat 1st nights leftovers.

Ruben Zamora
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
Old 09-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #35

Quote:
I rinse all the stuff I use to bbq outside and put it in a plastic bag and leave it behind truck and wash when we get home. I probably should mention we have never camped more than 2 nights. And usually 2nd night we eat 1st nights leftovers.
Wow....only 2 nights? That's depressing!! You need to get out more. We're headed out on Sunday for another 7 nights...but we're using it as our "base" and going back and forth to work during the week. Only a 10 minute drive for me; 30 for my DH.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #36

Quote:
I just let my dog lick all my dishes clean, keeps the food particles out of the tanks J/K
Old 09-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
I just let my dog lick all my dishes clean, keeps the food particles out of the tanks J/K
hahah so they can go crap those particles all over CG too right

Ruben Zamora
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
Old 09-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #38

We use green dish soap but regularly wash them out side to save some space in the gray tank for showers.

Our outside shower gets used more for filling dish pans that actual showers.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
Old 09-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #39

I've found that ground dumping of gray water is fairly common at NASCAR races.... probably because it's so tight to get in and out to dump, and the fact that the honey-wagons charge an arm and a leg for the service (some charge $40 to $50 to dump!).

I have a 40 gallon tote that I "tailgate", and use a macerator to pump the gray water to, then haul it to a dump station. No problem lasting a long weekend with my black water capacity.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Old 09-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #40
(Kim)

All jokes aside

I find this topic interesting!

The earth is 70% water.

Only 2% of this is fresh water.
This 2% is comprised of:

1.6% is in the form of ice/glaciers
0.36% is groundwater (aquifers)
0.0036% is in lakes/rivers

The earths groundwater makes up a far greater supply of available usable water than the lakes and rivers do.
Whenever anyone dumps anything into the ground other than plain water, it does not just disappear, it stays there for a very, very long time.

Yes, I know, dumping gray water is probably one of the least harmful things we can do, but nevertheless, it does have an effect on the environment.
What effect?
Damned if I know exactly, LOL, but if it's not good enough for me to drink, then I won't just pour it into the ground, I will follow the rules and take it to the proper disposal facilities and let them take care of it (hopefully in the proper way).

Who knows what kind of crap people are pouring down their TT sinks/drains, but I can bet they wouldn't think of watering their lawns/gardens at home with it.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Closed Thread