Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #101

So people who have a different viewpoint are people who don't want to educate themselves and see things your way?
Old 09-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #102
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
So people who have a different viewpoint are people who don't want to educate themselves and see things your way?
Moderator hat on:

Excellent point. There is a difference between expressing ones opinion and flaming another.

We will not all agree but can at least conduct ourselves in a collegial manner whilst stating our own opinions.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
My prediction is this thread goes to 15 pages!
I'll take that bet cause i see people using their own feelings to express this point and not making a statement on the issue
Old 09-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #104

"We brush teeth and wash hands in the sink... We use dr. Brommers Castile soap (the peppermint oil flavor actually) for washing. I have no guilt or regret in using some of this water to douse the campfire each night... We may fill a 5gal bucket over the course of a three day weekend. Seems silly to use fresh water to douse a fire when all that is in our "dirty" water is biodegradable soap and dirt dirt, soil particulate."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is posts like that that try to hijack the thread by going off-topic that always cloud the issue. We are not talking, or worrying, about water that was used for handwashing or brushing your teeth. We are talking about grey water, which almost always incudes dishwashing waste. And water that has been use for washing dishes will invariably contain food particles. Now it doesn't matter where you dump it, it will smell. One poster mentioned that he dumps it "in the bush", but one man's bush might be another's hiking trail.

And the issue isn't so much about sanitation anyways, but simple common courtesy. The vast majority of campers would not want someone else's (nor their own) wastewater on their campsite. Is it so hard to be courteous? What is wrong with people these days? Is it that they come from the city where they would just love to dump sewage over the fence onto their neighbour's property, but realise that they can't get away with that, so they get an emotional release by doing it to the next guy to occupy his campsite?

Sometimes human nature is hard to figure out. But I am glad that the vast majority of campers are extremely couteous and friendly, going out of their way to be helpful to one another.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #105
RV Newbie

It is not about differing opinions, it is about a few thinking CG rules and state and federal laws and regulations somehow do not apply to them. I am offended by someone that thinks I should follow all the rules but they do not feel the rules apply to them.

Sometimes doing the right thing is a pain, but if you cannot do the right thing ALL THE TIME you should not be camping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H

Moderator hat on:

Excellent point. There is a difference between expressing ones opinion and flaming another.

We will not all agree but can at least conduct ourselves in a collegial manner whilst stating our own opinions.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
Old 09-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #106
Lottery Non-Winner

I've been a "camper" my whole life. I've pulled into campsites where the previous occupants were not courteous and left behind debris. I can pick up gum wrappers, and paper towels. But the bits of rice, peas, and waxy "something" left in the wet grass next to the water supply pipe are just nasty. That happened to me long ago. For that reason, I only discharge my gray water into the dump station or I'll rent a site that has it's own sewer connection. I don't want to spoil it for the next occupant.

I later figured out that the waxy "something" was animal fat that had re-solidified once it cooled off. It must have just been oily residue on their pots and pans when they did the dishes, but it gelled up later.

For me, it's not a question of whether it is harmful to the environment. Animal waste has been used the world around as fertilizer. It doesn't hurt the Earth. But I wouldn't want to walk through it. Cooked vegetables on the ground won't hurt this planet. But they are disgusting to the people who come upon them. Should I even mention the small pile of body hairs that were in that area right at the base of the water pipe? I guess I just did mention them. Long story short, I moved sites that day and haven't been back to that campground in decades.

If we all were headed out across the prairie in chuck wagons it might not matter because the chances of the next camper stopping at the same spot is small. But in campgrounds we are confined to numbered slots where each night a new resident occupies the exact same space. I don't want anyone to encounter anything I left behind.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Old 09-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
"We brush teeth and wash hands in the sink... We use dr. Brommers Castile soap (the peppermint oil flavor actually) for washing. I have no guilt or regret in using some of this water to douse the campfire each night... We may fill a 5gal bucket over the course of a three day weekend. Seems silly to use fresh water to douse a fire when all that is in our "dirty" water is biodegradable soap and dirt dirt, soil particulate."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is posts like that that try to hijack the thread by going off-topic that always cloud the issue. We are not talking, or worrying, about water that was used for handwashing or brushing your teeth. We are talking about grey water, which almost always incudes dishwashing waste. And water that has been use for washing dishes will invariably contain food particles. Now it doesn't matter where you dump it, it will smell. One poster mentioned that he dumps it "in the bush", but one man's bush might be another's hiking trail.

And the issue isn't so much about sanitation anyways, but simple common courtesy. The vast majority of campers would not want someone else's (nor their own) wastewater on their campsite. Is it so hard to be courteous? What is wrong with people these days? Is it that they come from the city where they would just love to dump sewage over the fence onto their neighbour's property, but realise that they can't get away with that, so they get an emotional release by doing it to the next guy to occupy his campsite?

Sometimes human nature is hard to figure out. But I am glad that the vast majority of campers are extremely couteous and friendly, going out of their way to be helpful to one another.
not sure I deserve the condescending tone.
The rhetorical questions seem unnecessary as well.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #108

Anyone who takes offense to anything posted here is most likely reacting with at least a little bit of guilt, which would indicate that they know they are engaging in an unacceptable practice. If that causes them to think twice before dumping their wastewater on the ground, we have indeed accomplished something.
Camping is a very social experience for the vast majority, and considerate behavior goes a long, long way to making it an enjoyable experience for all.
But above all,
Old 09-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #109

THE ORIGINAL THREAD WAS ABOUT PEOPLE DUMPING WHOLE GREY TANKS ONTO THEIR CAMPSITES. NOT A BUCKET FULL.
THIS REMINDED ME OF THE GREY WATER RECYCLING USED IN STATES WITH VERY SERIOUS WATER SHORTAGES. THIS PROCESS OF RECYCLING WATER IS DONE MOSTLY BY ENVIRONMENTALLY CONSCIOUS PEOPLE AND IT FOLLOWS VERY STRICT GUIDELINES.
ONLY WATER FROM LAUNDRY USE THAT IS FREE OF HARSH CHEMICALS OR HEAVILY SOILED ARTICLES SHOULD BE USED TO IRRIGATE LANDSCAPES.
SIGNS MUST BE POSTED TO NOTIFY PEOPLE THAT RECYCLED WATER IS BEING USED TO AVOID HUMAN CONTACT.
IT SHOULD ONLY BE USED IN LOW TRAFFIC AREAS.
THIS GREY WATER MUST NOT BE SPRAYED INTO THE AIR BUT ENTER THE GROUND SEVERAL INCHES BELOW THE SURACE.
IT CANNOT ENTER ONTO OTHER OWNERS PROPERTIES.
IT CANNOT BE USED TO IRRIGATE VEGETABLE OR EDIBLE ROOT PLANTS.
IT SHOULD ONLY BE USED FOR CERTAIN PLANTS IN CERTAIN AREAS DEPENDING ON THE pH NEEDS OF THE PLANTS AND SOIL.
IT SHOULD BE SPREAD OUT OVER A LARGE AREA.
IT SHOULD NOT BE DONE YEAR ROUND.
GREY WATER THAT HAS BEEN STORED SHOULD NOT BE USED.
WATER USED TO WASH HEAVILY SOILED CLOTHING ARTICLES OR THOSE CONTAINING BLOOD ETC. SHOULD NOT BE USED.
AND THE LIST GOES ON.
NOT ENOUGH RESEARCH INTO THE LONGTERM EFFECTS OF THIS HAVE BEEN DONE AND IT IS STILL UNKNOWN HOW HARMFUL IT MAY BE TO SOIL/INSECTS/PLANTS IN THE FUTURE.

WATER FROM A GREY TANK IN A TRAVEL TRAILER IS MADE UP OF WATER FROM SHOWERS AND KITCHEN SINKS.
IT EXITS THE TRAILER USING THE SAME PIPE THE BLACK TANK DOES.
KITCHEN SINK WATER CONTAINS ORGANIC MATTER WHICH IS REGARDED AS BLACK.
ORGANIC MATTER BREAKS DOWN AND WHEN THE BACTERIA BECOMES ANAEROBIC IT STARTS TO SMELL BAD.
GREASE AND FAT IN WASH WATER REDUCES A PLANTS CAPABILITY TO ABSORB NUTRIENTS FROM THE SOIL.
SHOWER WATER MAY CONTAIN VIRUSES AND BACTERIA SUCH AS E COLI.
AND THE LIST GOES ON.

THESE ARE FACTS NOT OPINIONS.

IT IS NEVER A MATTER OF PERSONAL OPINION IF WE SHOULD DUMP GREY ONTO CAMPSITES OR NOT. THE CAMPGROUND RULES DICTATE THAT IT SHOULD NOT BE DONE.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #110

Have to admit, we were "those" tent campers who dumped our dish water in the woods. But now that we have a TT, we would never consider dumping our gray water on the ground. It just plain STINKS! Bacon grease, food particles, etc., that have sat in your tank for days on end "cooking" into something EVIL shouldn't be dumped on the ground. I don't think it has anything to do with the environment as far as soap goes, etc.; it has everything to do with the respect of your campsite and the campers around you. Would you seriously want someone to dump 40 gallons of stinky waste water next to you? I think not.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #111
RV Newbie

AGREED, but you don't have to shout it. LOL

I gotta laugh when someone says, "it is just soapy water." Gotta ask why does the water have soap in it? To release the oils, grease, dirt, good and bad germs, dead skin cells, hair, and crud from what you are soaking in that water, maybe. normally oil and water do not mix, the addition of soap allows oils to disperse in water and be rinsed away. That supposedly innocent soapy mix is loaded pathogens that can multiple and make others sick.

If you would not clean your counter tops with this soapy grey water crud why would you place it where others could come into contact with it. Especially kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlurker
THE ORIGINAL THREAD WAS ABOUT PEOPLE DUMPING WHOLE GREY TANKS ONTO THEIR CAMPSITES. NOT A BUCKET FULL.
THIS REMINDED ME OF THE GREY WATER RECYCLING USED IN STATES WITH VERY SERIOUS WATER SHORTAGES. THIS PROCESS OF RECYCLING WATER IS DONE MOSTLY BY ENVIRONMENTALLY CONSCIOUS PEOPLE AND IT FOLLOWS VERY STRICT GUIDELINES.
ONLY WATER FROM LAUNDRY USE THAT IS FREE OF HARSH CHEMICALS OR HEAVILY SOILED ARTICLES SHOULD BE USED TO IRRIGATE LANDSCAPES.
SIGNS MUST BE POSTED TO NOTIFY PEOPLE THAT RECYCLED WATER IS BEING USED TO AVOID HUMAN CONTACT.
IT SHOULD ONLY BE USED IN LOW TRAFFIC AREAS.
THIS GREY WATER MUST NOT BE SPRAYED INTO THE AIR BUT ENTER THE GROUND SEVERAL INCHES BELOW THE SURACE.
IT CANNOT ENTER ONTO OTHER OWNERS PROPERTIES.
IT CANNOT BE USED TO IRRIGATE VEGETABLE OR EDIBLE ROOT PLANTS.
IT SHOULD ONLY BE USED FOR CERTAIN PLANTS IN CERTAIN AREAS DEPENDING ON THE pH NEEDS OF THE PLANTS AND SOIL.
IT SHOULD BE SPREAD OUT OVER A LARGE AREA.
IT SHOULD NOT BE DONE YEAR ROUND.
GREY WATER THAT HAS BEEN STORED SHOULD NOT BE USED.
WATER USED TO WASH HEAVILY SOILED CLOTHING ARTICLES OR THOSE CONTAINING BLOOD ETC. SHOULD NOT BE USED.
AND THE LIST GOES ON.
NOT ENOUGH RESEARCH INTO THE LONGTERM EFFECTS OF THIS HAVE BEEN DONE AND IT IS STILL UNKNOWN HOW HARMFUL IT MAY BE TO SOIL/INSECTS/PLANTS IN THE FUTURE.

WATER FROM A GREY TANK IN A TRAVEL TRAILER IS MADE UP OF WATER FROM SHOWERS AND KITCHEN SINKS.
KITCHEN SINK WATER CONTAINS ORGANIC MATTER WHICH IS REGARDED AS BLACK.
ORGANIC MATTER BREAKS DOWN AND WHEN THE BACTERIA BECOMES ANAEROBIC IT STARTS TO SMELL BAD.
GREASE AND FAT IN WASH WATER REDUCES A PLANTS CAPABILITY TO ABSORB NUTRIENTS FROM THE SOIL.
SHOWER WATER MAY CONTAIN VIRUSES AND BACTERIA SUCH AS E COLI.
AND THE LIST GOES ON.

THESE ARE FACTS NOT OPINIONS.

IT IS NEVER A MATTER OF PERSONAL OPINION IF WE SHOULD DUMP GREY ONTO CAMPSITES OR NOT. THE CAMPGROUND RULES DICTATE THAT IT SHOULD NOT BE DONE.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
Old 09-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
AGREED, but you don't have to shout it. LOL
Sorry but it is easier for me to read when it is in CAPS.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #113

I have 1 black water tank and 2 grey water tanks, 1 is for the kitchen sink and it is 36 gallons and 1 is for the shower and bathroom sink and it is 36 gallons. Can I dump just the shower grey tank or is that not allowed?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #114
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post

LOL, there is no 'viewpoint' or 'seeing things my way' in this, just facts, and the fact is that it is against CG rules to dump grey tanks on sites.

I cannot think of one valid reason why people would choose to argue against this.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Old 09-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #115
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterw11 View Post
I have 1 black water tank and 2 grey water tanks, 1 is for the kitchen sink and it is 36 gallons and 1 is for the shower and bathroom sink and it is 36 gallons. Can I dump just the shower grey tank or is that not allowed?
sure, as long as you dump at the dump station. all CGs i have been to, don't allow dumping gray water on the ground.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 09-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
FYI mister shabby !

It smelled like rotten A## and the breeze was coming my way . If You think I was going to sit there and smell it all night YOUR sadly mistaken.

Btw I dont have any "fingures" so I don't know what you breaking ?

I guess if I was dumping rotten A## smelly grey water that smelled like it was in the tank for 3 weeks and it was blowing into someone else's camping spot I guess he could shut mine off to .
But then again I wouldn't have let it run out anyway !
I think what you ment to say is "you're sadly mistaken" and not "your sadly mistaken"!!!! Correct???? Also "so I don't know what you are breaking?" and not "so I don't know what you breaking? I didn't know that this was a place to make fun of people and change the subject to a grammer lesson. I was simply giving my opinion on the subject and that I have dumped a small amount of grey water before but I am usually on full hook-up or have my honey wagon with me. If you fill up a five gallon bucket with used dish water and put your fire out with it, how is this any different from dumping say "five gallons" straight from your tank and onto the ground. Either you do it or you don't lets make up our minds. I also don't think that it is a good practice to do so all the time but you never know what type of situation you will run into next. Is grey water considered sewage........"NO". Do I dump my grey water all the time onto the ground....."NO". Do I put my camp fire out with grey water........"NO".

HAPPY CAMPING "EH" !!!!
Old 09-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #117

I camped over labor day and cooked a pasta dish took the pasta water and dumped this in the trees around my camper washed the pot in the camper that water with soap went into gray water is there a difference here.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #118

If you are going to dump your grey water instead of letting it collect in tank and sour and smell attach a hose to it and leave valve open a small amount it will drizzle out and never have a smell. I agree with some of the others why can you have an outside shower and I can't let my inside shower water touch ground?
Old 09-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #119

IMHO the outside shower is for rinsing sand off of ourselves when we get back from the beach and not for taking an actual shower.
Why do you leave the grey water valve open so it will drizzle out while you are at a site?
Old 09-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #120

"If you are going to dump your grey water instead of letting it collect in tank and sour and smell attach a hose to it and leave valve open a small amount it will drizzle out and never have a smell."
===============================
Yeah, it won't smell until you are gone. Too bad for the next guy.
You can't be serious. Please don't be serious.
Closed Thread