Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #181

it kills me when people talk about the old days. they do not realize that the population of the earth has doubled since then. it was 3 billion in 1960 is now at 7 billion and may reach 10.5 billion by 2050 and the things they did 50 years ago are not acceptable now because of this increase. the earth is going to hell in a handbasket if all of us 7 billion do not change our ways.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlurker View Post
it kills me when people talk about the old days. they do not realize that the population of the earth has doubled since then. it was 3 billion in 1960 is now at 7 billion and may reach 10.5 billion by 2050 and the things they did 50 years ago are not acceptable now because of this increase. the earth is going to hell in a handbasket if all of us 7 billion do not change our ways.
been trying, for years to figure out what "going to hell in a handbasket" REALLY means? And what if we DON'T have a "handbasket," then what???
Old 11-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #183

If you use your outside factory installed shower, where do you think the (Gray) water from its use goes? All who have said they (never) dump gray at the campsite please tell me how you catch & dump the outside shower gray water! Youroo!!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #184
KRS

It kills ME when people hide behind the guise of environmental responsibility all the while pointing fingers at the world... while they drive their large towing pickup with a camp trailer tagging along. LOLOLOLOL

You're on a camper forum complaining about environmental responsibility? What about the ump-teen (not a real number) amount of resources used up in the creation of your large truck and trailer, let alone the larger batteries (more lead), tires for the trailer, etc etc etc. Come on, nobody on this forum can have that apocalyptic view of our environment and still buy Recreational Vehicles towed behind trucks. If we TRULY believed that, we'd be living in a straw bale 300 square foot house in the hills while drinking our urine and sewing winter slippers for spotted owl and eating acorns.

Let's stay on track here.
Cummins exhaust brake
Air bags
Old 11-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #185

Back to an older post --what about the tent campers dumping dishpan full of dishwater and using outside shower and peeing outside tent at night????? Give me a break the ground absorbs it and with the dry summers we've had it's probably a good thing!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #186
Moderator Emeritus

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Old 11-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #187
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
been trying, for years to figure out what "going to hell in a handbasket" REALLY means? And what if we DON'T have a "handbasket," then what???

To be 'going to hell in a handbasket' is to be rapidly deteriorating - on course for disaster.
Origin

It isn't at all obvious why 'handbasket' was chosen as the preferred vehicle to convey people to hell. One theory on the origin of the phrase is that derives from the use of handbaskets in the guillotining method of capital punishment. If Hollywood films are to be believed, the decapitated heads were caught in baskets - the casualty presumably going straight to hell, without passing Go.
The first version of 'in a handbasket' in print does in fact relate to an imaginary decapitated head. In Samuel Sewall's Diary, 1714, we find:
"A committee brought in something about Piscataqua. Govr said he would give his head in a Handbasket as soon as he would pass it."
Sewall was born in England but emigrated to America when he was nine, and this citation reinforces the widely held opinion that the phrase is of US origin. That is almost certainly the case and, even now, 'hell in a handbasket' isn't often used outside the USA. The expression probably had English parentage though. The English preacher Thomas Adams referred to 'going to heaven in a wheelbarrow' in Gods Bounty on Proverbs, 1618:
Oh, this oppressor [i.e. one who was wealthy but gave little to the church] must needs go to heaven! What shall hinder him? But it will be, as the byword is, in a wheelbarrow: the fiends, and not the angels, will take hold on him.
'Going to heaven in a wheelbarrow' was a euphemistic way of saying 'going to hell'. The notion of sinners being literally wheeled to hell in barrows or carts is certainly very old. The mediaeval stained glass windows of Fairford Church in Gloucestershire contain an image of a woman being carried off to purgatory in a wheelbarrow pushed by a blue devil.
The thought behind the phrase is 17th century, but the precise wording 'going to hell in a handbasket' and its alternative form 'going to hell in a handcart' originated in the US around the middle of the 19th century. The 'handbasket' version is now the more common.
'Going to hell in a handbasket' seems to be just a colourful version of 'going to hell', in the same sense as 'going to the dogs'. 'In a handbasket' is an alliterative intensifier which gives the expression a catchy ring. There doesn't appear to be any particular significance to 'handbasket' apart from the alliteration - any other conveyance beginning with 'H' would have done just as well. The similar earlier phrases 'hell in a basket' and 'hell in a wheelbarrow', not having the same catchiness, have now disappeared from common use. Let's launch 'going to hell in a hovercraft' and see if that flies, so to speak.
The first example of 'hell in a hand basket' that I have found in print comes in I. Winslow Ayer's account of events of the American Civil War The Great North-Western Conspiracy, 1865. A very similar but slightly fuller report of Morris's comments was printed in the House Documents of the U.S. Congress, in 1867:
Speaking of men who had been arrested he [Judge Morris] said, "Some of our very best, and thousands of brave men, at this very moment in Camp Douglas, are our friends; who, if they were once at liberty, would send the abolitionists to hell in a hand-basket."
'Hell in a handcart' is found in print before 'hell in a handbasket'. The earliest citation I can find for that is in Elbridge Paige's book of Short Patent Sermons, 1841:

any questions ? lol !
[Those people] who would rather ride to hell in a hand-cart than walk to heaven supported by the staff of industry.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #188

16 YEARS OF MILITARY SERVICE AND WE HAD TO BAG OUR s*^& and everything else in the training areas to carry it out for disposal.

But animals in the forest... well thats a different matter. Riiight - sure it is?
Old 11-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #189

Wow!!!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #190

Too much time on yer hands Turbo ??? LOL

...VTX-AL
Old 11-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #191

I like you Turbo! Let's see if this hits 200 posts. Since there has been an increase in population, that must explain why it is so hard to get a campsite sometimes. I thought it was because people were dumping their grey water on the ground!
Old 11-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #192

Turbo's post wore me out. Way TMI. Let's keep it going or should I say keep holding it.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Old 11-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #193

Hey, let's start a thread on people who dump their black water on the ground. That would cause a stink, wouldn't it?
Old 11-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #194
(Kim)

LOL Turbo, idk what that was even about, but as I said before, I hope you 'copy and pasted' that
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #195
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Im glad I got a few laughs from my post ! Yes I copy and pasted !

I was tired of reading about grey waste dumping then I seen trudinators post and figured why not change it up !

I hope all who reads got a chuckle as I did when I read it !

by the way this is post 195 !
Old 11-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #196
Lottery Non-Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
16 YEARS OF MILITARY SERVICE AND WE HAD TO BAG OUR s*^& and everything else in the training areas to carry it out for disposal.

But animals in the forest... well thats a different matter. Riiight - sure it is?
If you had to step on a turd, would you prefer to step on a coyote turd or a human turd? It DOES make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If you use your outside factory installed shower, where do you think the (Gray) water from its use goes? All who have said they (never) dump gray at the campsite please tell me how you catch & dump the outside shower gray water! Youroo!!
I don't. I use that to rinse the sand off my shoes. You actually use that to take a "shower"? Oh Margaret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by we2lovecamping View Post
Back to an older post --what about the tent campers dumping dishpan full of dishwater and using outside shower and peeing outside tent at night????? Give me a break the ground absorbs it and with the dry summers we've had it's probably a good thing!!!
I guess that explains why some campgrounds smell like a latrine.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Old 11-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovair View Post
If you had to step on a turd, would you prefer to step on a coyote turd or a human turd? It DOES make a difference.
Now would this My turd? or someone elses. I eat a lot of crap so ya lol.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #198

Quote:
Same stuff - different day! Walking the roads in Aghanistan we encountered a lot of crap - its all disgusting to step in.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #199
(Kim)

Quote:

I don't. I use that to rinse the sand off my shoes. You actually use that to take a "shower"? Oh Margaret.

I guess that explains why some campgrounds smell like a latrine.

I'm envious at your ability to multi-quote your reply.

I have tried....but to no avail.......
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Old 11-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #200

Closed Thread