Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Why people do this

I was camping last week up in cypress hill alberta, i noticed some guy dumping his grey water tank on the ground, and the dump station was only 1000 ft away, and the thing is they were leaving. I sure hope i don't end up in a spot like that when i go out camping again

Kevin & Debbie and our little dog Emma
2004 F-150 Lariat 4X4 Ext Cab 5.4
2010 Flagstaff Shamrock Hybrid 19
Old 09-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
I hear you. I caught a guy dumping in the back corner of a Wendy's parking lot one time. He was trying to run his hose down into a sewer grate that was on the grass.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
Lottery Non-Winner
1. Lack of experience
2. Lack of education
3. Lack of consideration for others

2011 Georgetown 337
Old 09-15-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Seen a guy one time late at night just slightly pulling his grey handle to allow it the drip but it was more like a steady trickle.
I was sitting under my awning in the dark so when he went inside to go to bed I slide on over and shut it off.
next day he was scratching his head. Later he hooked up tt and went to dump .
I'm geussing he was full on grey and decided he'd drain over night so he didn't have to dump.
I foiled that plan! COME ON!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
We had friends at the same CG as us, they were staying for 2 weeks.
I was expressing concerns about my gray tank getting full, and he said "oh, I just dump mine on the ground, it's just a little bit of soap."

I was disappointed to know that people actually do this =[
2010 Dodge Ram 1500
2012 Rockwood 2306
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Old 09-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
We were at a campground in Mich. last year, and went to see about a pump out. They said that their honey wagon was broke and as long as it was just the grey tank to dump it on the ground that night when it rained.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
Old 09-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
It was a common practice in Ontario Parks up until a couple of years ago. People would dig a whole and bury their hose. Conservation areas near me have blue barrels buried in the ground for dumping. Backcountry camping rules are to walk a minimum of 10 meters from the water and dump. It's the phosphates that are the issue. Otherwise it's really just water. If it's only the three of us we can last 10 days before we have to dump. With some other people I've been through 30 gals in 3 days!!!! It really teaches water conservation. I found when we get home it carries over. We are less than half the national average for household water consumption.

I guess I'm neither for or against dumping water on the ground but I am against people doing dishes, washing clothes or themselves at the taps! Now that irks me. The problem is if too many do it! And are responsible enough not to dump harmful stuff. People do dishes in a tub the dump. No difference.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
We camped On the Alberta side of Cypress Hills a few years ago, and considering how unfriendly and miserable all of the campers with Alberta plates were, it doesn't surprise me that they would be ignorant enough to do that. I have never before, or since, experienced campers with such a terrible attitude, and I'll never go back. I also warn my friends to stay away as well.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
While these folks inappropriately dumped, maybe a good question is what we/you all do about this-- not pointing fingers, of course.
Obviously, taking the law into your own hands may get you killed, but a call to appropriate authorities seems plausible. License numbers, date, time, location, etc.
Just a thought.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
Site Team
I had a good friend of mine (and one of the nicest people you'll ever meet) who had his grey water seal leak. Someone at the campground reported him, and the park ranger wrote him a ticket for it. The ranger even told my friend that he wouldn't have wrote a ticket but the one who reported it was watching.

My friend had to drive into the parish seat (we don't have counties here in Louisiana, but parishes), and go to the courthouse/district attorney to pay the fine. They just looked at him like he was crazy, and said they hadn't ever had anyone ticketed for this before..........After listening to the story of what happened, the DA's office just threw it all out and told him to have a nice day.

2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I've just ordered a chicken and an egg from Amazon.... I will keep you posted.
Closed Thread