Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I can’t remember ever being asked the year of our trailer when making reservations but I don’t doubt it happens. As others have mentioned, I guess it’s too keep RVs like this from staying at their park.

Attachment 106937

There are also RV parks that don't allow trailers of any type or age, motorhomes only.
Whats wrong with that trailer as it is it is worth more than mine. Older yes Fixed up it could bring close to 100K.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #22

Older units may not have as good safety standards.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #23

I think if you own a private campground, run it as you see fit. I have seen campgrounds limit age, I think they are trying to attract a certain crowd but I always think of those Airstream owners who have mint trailers 20+ years old.
NYDP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #24
larryandamy

Restricted RV Parks

This is just like buying a house in an area with CCR's and HOA's versus area without them.

The people who buy houses in controlled neighborhoods with CRR's and HOA fees don't want to live next to "Trailer Trash"...
They want to live in a controlled neighborhood that keeps out the kind of people that park their cars in the street or hang up laundry on a clothes line or paint their house in a non-approved color.
I say... "Good for them!"

For me... Nobody is going to tell me what I can do or not do on my property. So I would never buy a house in those neighborhoods with CRR's and HOA's.

I am not saying I am better or that they are better.. we are just different and "Viva la difference!"

I would never stay in an RV park that has these restrictions, but there are others who would prefer to. Neither of us is wrong.
Just decide want you want and where you want to stay.

God Bless America!
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big bird View Post
It is an easy way to screen out trailer trash. Parks do not make a lot of money and just a few bad apples can really damage the crop. The problem is many good people do not or cannot spend huge amounts of money on recreation vehicles.
We tend to spend evenings in out of the way places. We feel it is a good way of meeting the locals. These are also places where tight budgeted people stay an evening. Not too surprising is some trailer trash treated with some dignity are worth meeting. Some of my best memories are with these folks I have met in no where America. God bless.
What you say is true but it is a shame. My 5er is an 08 and in mint condition, you would not guess it to be 8 years old.

Here is something you may want to try someday. While checking in I asked where a good place was to eat. The girl starts telling me about different places and I looked over at the manager sitting at a desk. Finally I stopped the girl and sked the manager where she would go for good food. She smiled and said this place looks like a dive but all the locals eat here and she told me where to go. She also said to go at least a half hour before I wanted to eat because they are always busy. I got one of the best meals I have ever had! And if you were not a local you would have drove right past the place! I learned a long time ago don't judge a book by its cover!

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #26

Once again opinions vary. What I call freedom of choice or association, is seen as discrimination by others. If total freedom allows for choices that you don't agree with, then you are the discriminator. Live and let live.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #27
Camp Bartender

I've never actually seen any campgrounds that have restrictions like that. What I see mostly is a restriction on dog breed types, which never affect my wife and I because we have a miniature poodle....Although, I do love the A Holes with the 100K plus rigs that think they own the places, it usually doesn't work out for them.

2015-2018: 20 Trips, 61 Nights Camped
2018: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped
2019: 2 Trips, 10 nights so far......
stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #28

When I had my 2109S, I was told it was too small for a certain campground.
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:23 PM   #29

We had an old Class A at one time and when age restrictions came into play and I questioned the park, they simply asked me to send a picture verifying that it was in good condition. We did and they agreed with us that it was in good condition and they had no objection. In another park I saw several old trailers, actually antiques, that were in fantastic shape. Everybody in the park used to stop, admire the trailers and talk to the owners. There are lot of retro trailers out there. Judge them by how they are kept up and not age.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:25 PM   #30

Well it's free choice until there is no choice. Around here if you look at seasonal sites I would guess 70% now exclude ANY RV over ten years.

Not an issue for non seasonals so you can come in for a month in a beater but your not welcome as a seasonal even if your rig is restored.

Again makes me wonder what REALLY is behind it. Can't be snooty here because these campgrounds are not like resorts...kind of rednecky to me. Not like some of the nice ones I have seen in the west or down in FLA.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #31

On average, I would say that these campgrounds posting RV age restriction are culling out the people they don't want. If you came in with an older rig in good condition, they will likely pass on the restriction. If you came in with a purple rusted out school bus with plywood covering the windows, they may refuse you.

Our last trip out last year was a return to our honeymoon lake. There was no camper age restrictions, but they did run a tight ship. There were a lot of permanent sites. The CG owners stipulated that the persons owning the RV had to be present anytime the camper was in use. They also wanted the camp sites kept tidy. In the 10 days we were there, we had a 70's-80's Class C next to us with no problems. But the CG owners gave the boot to a newer large 5er.

These were rules we could live by. You have to respect that CG owners are looking for repeat business both permanent and transient. They don't need a bad reputation.

We are aware of another campground on the Wisconsin River. A great location, but the owners allowed the permanent trashy trailers to dominate. They couldn't get the transient people in and consequently couldn't keep it up.
It was downhill from there.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #32

This thread reminded me of this local news story from yesterday.

Sevier County campground temporarily shut down by court order | WATE 6 On Your Side
Old 05-05-2016, 03:10 PM   #33

We had one close by our house that ended up like the one in the news article. We stayed there for a few weeks when we moved back.

What a sketchy place. It was the place to go years back but had turned into a haven for dopers and hard partying. Oddly it was owned or run by a mormon couple but they turned a blind eye.

Seems once the drug users find a campground that will turn a blind eye..they then start to take over. Seen it another place. One was sold and closed and the other sold then revamped..thank goodness.

really stinks if you are just passing through and not aware of these types of places. We hit one once in Pa that was a wild partying madhouse. Pulled into my campspot and literally pulled out the other side and left.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:38 PM   #34

What a shame that they will miss out on some of the wonderful restorations of early campers from the late 40's and '50's. There are a lot of them pipping up around the country and are worth a lot more money than many of the newest trailers out there
JHurtgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #35

I don't think any of the Corp of Engineer campgrounds have any restrictions either. In the campsites I've been at the hosts stay very visible and the county sheriffs department do routine patrols.
Hugeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #36

I pick up my new 5er next week. If the Lord let's us both live, we will both be REALLY old before long. Ain't no campsite better deny either of us admission, or there'll be someone with a knot upside their haid!!!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:00 PM   #37

This reminds me of Dockweiler Beach RV Park in Los Angeles. There are some very nice out of state rigs that are sprinkled in with some local Angelenos who just come to the beach on the weekend with a big group to party in an old trailer. It sucks getting stuck next to them. They never obey the "quiet time" rules.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #38
Global Nomad

Why the snooty attitude about RVs?

For the last two and a half months I have been traveling up and down the East Coast. The ONLY place that asked me about age was an Escapee campground in Florida. For that reason I did not join them, or camped at their site, even though I have a new 5th wheel. The fact that they asked the question turned me off.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #39

IMHO, regardless of the sticker price of our trailers, their ultimate value should be determined by the richness of the memories we create when we use them. After all, isn't that the reason we bought them in the first place....
Old 05-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #40

A lot of interesting responses. I do agree when someone owns something, they should be able to make the rules. My next door neighbor recently asked if I'd be upset if they built a small 2nd home on their property for elderly parents. I told her didn't matter what I thought about it. Their property to do as they wish.

I just think age of an RV is an odd way to cull "certain" people. I'm sure there are lots of really great folks traveling around in old RVs, and lots of jerks traveling around in rigs that would bankrupt most of us.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote