Old 05-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #31
On average, I would say that these campgrounds posting RV age restriction are culling out the people they don't want. If you came in with an older rig in good condition, they will likely pass on the restriction. If you came in with a purple rusted out school bus with plywood covering the windows, they may refuse you.

Our last trip out last year was a return to our honeymoon lake. There was no camper age restrictions, but they did run a tight ship. There were a lot of permanent sites. The CG owners stipulated that the persons owning the RV had to be present anytime the camper was in use. They also wanted the camp sites kept tidy. In the 10 days we were there, we had a 70's-80's Class C next to us with no problems. But the CG owners gave the boot to a newer large 5er.

These were rules we could live by. You have to respect that CG owners are looking for repeat business both permanent and transient. They don't need a bad reputation.

We are aware of another campground on the Wisconsin River. A great location, but the owners allowed the permanent trashy trailers to dominate. They couldn't get the transient people in and consequently couldn't keep it up.
It was downhill from there.

PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #32
This thread reminded me of this local news story from yesterday.

Sevier County campground temporarily shut down by court order | WATE 6 On Your Side

2008 Ford F350 4x4 King Ranch SRW 6.4 Powerstroke (too much to list)
2016 Grey Wolf 26DBH
seminole39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:10 PM   #33
We had one close by our house that ended up like the one in the news article. We stayed there for a few weeks when we moved back.

What a sketchy place. It was the place to go years back but had turned into a haven for dopers and hard partying. Oddly it was owned or run by a mormon couple but they turned a blind eye.

Seems once the drug users find a campground that will turn a blind eye..they then start to take over. Seen it another place. One was sold and closed and the other sold then revamped..thank goodness.

really stinks if you are just passing through and not aware of these types of places. We hit one once in Pa that was a wild partying madhouse. Pulled into my campspot and literally pulled out the other side and left.
2004 Cedar Creek 34CTKS heavily customized
2006 Ford F350 FX4 Lariat Dually w/tow boss
1999 Lance 1110...cause it's easier for short trips.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:38 PM   #34
What a shame that they will miss out on some of the wonderful restorations of early campers from the late 40's and '50's. There are a lot of them pipping up around the country and are worth a lot more money than many of the newest trailers out there
JHurtgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #35
I don't think any of the Corp of Engineer campgrounds have any restrictions either. In the campsites I've been at the hosts stay very visible and the county sheriffs department do routine patrols.
Hugeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #36
I pick up my new 5er next week. If the Lord let's us both live, we will both be REALLY old before long. Ain't no campsite better deny either of us admission, or there'll be someone with a knot upside their haid!!!
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man"Calvin Coolidge
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:00 PM   #37
This reminds me of Dockweiler Beach RV Park in Los Angeles. There are some very nice out of state rigs that are sprinkled in with some local Angelenos who just come to the beach on the weekend with a big group to party in an old trailer. It sucks getting stuck next to them. They never obey the "quiet time" rules.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #38
Global Nomad
Why the snooty attitude about RVs?

For the last two and a half months I have been traveling up and down the East Coast. The ONLY place that asked me about age was an Escapee campground in Florida. For that reason I did not join them, or camped at their site, even though I have a new 5th wheel. The fact that they asked the question turned me off.
Steven J. Scheinin
2015 RAM 3500 4X4
6.7L CTD Dually pulling a
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #39
IMHO, regardless of the sticker price of our trailers, their ultimate value should be determined by the richness of the memories we create when we use them. After all, isn't that the reason we bought them in the first place....
2010 Wildwood XLite 26BHXL
Ontherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #40
A lot of interesting responses. I do agree when someone owns something, they should be able to make the rules. My next door neighbor recently asked if I'd be upset if they built a small 2nd home on their property for elderly parents. I told her didn't matter what I thought about it. Their property to do as they wish.

I just think age of an RV is an odd way to cull "certain" people. I'm sure there are lots of really great folks traveling around in old RVs, and lots of jerks traveling around in rigs that would bankrupt most of us.

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote