Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #1
Señor Miembro

Why would dealer refuse test drive contingency?

So I'm back at it with MHSrv.com in Alvaredo, Tx. I finally got them to let me have a professional inspector check out the Super C for me. So I told them I'd sign their sales agreement with the added wording "contingent on satisfactory user inspection and financing" and they are trying to bully me into signing the contract w/o that.

Has anyone agreed to buy an RV without a test drive first!? I even asked if they would let the inspector take it out for a spin for me and they said, "no".

The RV inspection went great and other than a small paint blemish, it's in perfect shape and everything is working. My only fear is that I sign away my $3k deposit and then when I drive it off the lot something is wrong with the chassis. They claim that they need the $3k deposit non-refundable because that's what they say it costs them to wash and detail it and get it ready for delivery and if we walk away, they are out that money.

Could it really cost that much to prep? I'd imagine more like $500-$1k at most. Plus, other than re-washing and maybe light vacuuming, it should still pretty ready for the next buyer if I did walk.

Oh, it's a new 2019 unit and the only one in that configuration that I can find in the whole usa, new or used. So it's this one or nothing.

Anyway, I'm at a loss as to what their problem is there. I've really liked most Texans I've met. Heck, I married one and am part Texan myself but there must be something weird in water in Alvaredo. Or am I off base here and missing something? Any insights/observations are welcome.

Thanks,
Rob
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #2

I saw one of your last post about how hard they were to deal with. I don't do business that way. I would have already walked. If you are still thinking about maybe you just need to give in to their way of business and do it, or take your money elsewhere
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:53 PM   #3

sounds like BS to me when you buy a car or truck you test drive don't you. i have never had to put a deposit refundable or not on any vehicle i have driven. there is no way i would buy any type motorhome without a test drive, your spending the cost of a small house here. something is fishy here i would walk away
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #4

I’ve been watching your posts over time, Rob, and (I’m saying this in a fun way)...you have the worse case of buyers remorse before even buying Ive ever seen. What will you be thinking after a purchase i wonder. Again, I say this with a smile. Everything checked out on the unit and you are still coming up with things to worry about-you’re going to “what if” yourself into ulcers at this rate. You’ve a number of times said how this is the unit you’ve been looking for. At some point you are going to have to make the decision. Do you want it or don’t you is where it will all boils down to.
We bought a new Berkshire from there, along with lots of other people. Same rules. Never a glitch.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
Señor Miembro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igave View Post
you have the worse case of buyers remorse before even buying Ive ever seen.
I know right!? I just thought I was being older and wiser and making sure I don't get ripped off.
As long as the RV doesn't cost me a ton of time and money in repairs, I'll be fine once it's owned. Though I expect some problems.
I've just never dealt with sales folks like this before and I've bought numerous cars, a few boats, a plane, tractors, construction equipment, etc and an fifth wheel. (Though never bought anything 2,000 miles away before) Nobody ever refused inspections or test drives or wanted non-refundable monies up front. Most are bending over backwards for your business to earn the commission/money.
These RV sales clown act like they are doing me a huge favor to let me buy it from them. Maybe they are but I didn't get to where I can afford that thing by giving away money and taking unnecessary risks. I just wanted to check to see if anyone had helpful insight or if I was completely missing something. Maybe it's just changing times as honest upfront deals become a relic of the past like me
Old 07-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #6
Señor Miembro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
If you are still thinking about maybe you just need to give in to their way of business and do it, or take your money elsewhere
Yeah, if it was only a couple grand at risk but we're planning on flying a family of 5 down there on short notice to pick it up. If it's a lemon, and lose the deposit, inspection, plane flights, hotel, it'll be more like a $10k loss. That's nothing to some but still would bum me out big time!
Old 07-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #7

I notice you say this is for a Super C. FYI, our semi-truck washes here in town love to do large motor homes and will pressure wash an entire semi-truck w/ trailer or large motor home for $70. They charge another $130 to completely detail interior/exterior to perfection.

Your RV dealer is blowing smoke.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #8

If I am considering buying anything with wheels I test drive it or something comparable if it is a special order. I don't care if it is a bicycle, motorcycle, car, pickup, tractor, class 8 truck or a RV if there is no test drive I walk away and take my business somewhere else. That's how I ended up with a Honda F6B which I love instead of a Harley Road Glide that the Harley dealer wouldn't let me test ride.
Cardinalowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #9

Have bought 2 from MHS. Everything done via online. Both were new. No paid inspector or test drive. With it being new whatever is wrong chassis or coach it’s covered under warranty. My guess is the 3k is more of a deposit to hold it. Otherwise if someone else wants you lose out. Keep in mind that all new rigs will have problems to work out; inspection or not. Just the nature of the beast.
Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #10

$3,000 to Wash, wax, and detail? Two thoughts:

If they DO pay that much to get it ready for your "test drive" and you walk on the deal, it's still ready for the next customer.

Get them to knock off the $3,000 and do your own wash, wax, and detail. If the unit is in as good shape as inspection indicated just how dirty can it be?

Could probably hire a couple college kids to do the work for a fraction of that.

It just sounds like a pressure tactic to get you to sign so the salesman can get paid his commission.

I could see them being reluctant to allow allow a test drive if you planned on using it for a "test weekend" but if it were me? No drive, I walk.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:05 PM   #11
Jayhawker

I agree with Addicted.

It is a NEW 2019 with full warranty on it, and everything in and on it.

You stated it was the only one new or used in the US. You will be kicking yourself later if you delay and someone else buys it. Good Luck, hope things workout for you.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher Rob View Post
The RV inspection went great and other than a small paint blemish, it's in perfect shape and everything is working. My only fear is that I sign away my $3k deposit and then when I drive it off the lot something is wrong with the chassis.

Oh, it's a new 2019 unit and the only one in that configuration that I can find in the whole usa, new or used. So it's this one or nothing.

Quote:
As long as the RV doesn't cost me a ton of time and money in repairs, I'll be fine once it's owned. Though I expect some problems.

(Though never bought anything 2,000 miles away before) Nobody ever refused inspections or test drives or wanted non-refundable monies up front.

OK, as per your posts above, and you do have ANY expected problems as you stated, who are you going to use to repair/warranty such? You are 2000 miles away from your selling dealer...so you will most likely need to use a third party for any repairs. Have you already lined this up just in case you do need such?

Quote:
Yeah, if it was only a couple grand at risk but we're planning on flying a family of 5 down there on short notice to pick it up. If it's a lemon, and lose the deposit, inspection, plane flights, hotel, it'll be more like a $10k loss.

We had stories like this before.... Where a new RV owner will purchase it and immediately take it on a planned cross country trip. It's better to have a shake down trip a lot closer to home (or selling RV dealer) in case there are problems that need addressing. You get 1000 miles (halfway) between your selling dealer and your house....and perhaps have this supposed "chassis" problem you are fearing....then what?

My advice is to camp very near the dealership (some even provide places for this) for a few days and shake it out somewhat on the little things (appliances, operation, setup, etc)...then and only then take it on a 2000 mike trek.

One last thing and you see it on the last page of all Forest River and subsidiaries brochures, stating to buy local...with a weblink. Have you read it and fully understand what it means? One of the first thing a new RV owner needs to learn is that RV dealers are in no way, form, or fashion like vehicle dealers. It's explained in the link below..

https://forestriverinc.com/buy-local.aspx

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:04 PM   #13

If it's brand new and has already been inspected by the professional inspector, with no issues, then I don't think you should worry any further.

You've done quite a bit of due diligence so far. Keep it up and you will start developing ulcers, no doubt.

Mike
Old 07-20-2019, 08:31 PM   #14
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Anyway, I'm at a loss as to what their problem is there. I've really liked most Texans I've met. Heck, I married one and am part Texan myself but there must be something weird in water in Alvaredo. Or am I off base here and missing something? Any insights/observations are welcome.

Thanks,
Rob

MHSRV may be in Texas but it is not a Texas company.
Top RV dealership based in Alvarado acquired by Florida group | News | fortworthbusiness.com

Maybe this is why they are working the way they do or it may have nothing to do with it. Out of town owners can be removed from the day to day operations and laid down rules the local store has to follow.
In the end it is really up to you to decide to pull the trigger or walk. No purchase is certain and nothing is without some risk.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #15

[QUOTE=Rancher Rob;2144689]So I'm back at it with MHSrv.com in Alvaredo, Tx. I finally got them to let me have a professional inspector check out the Super C for me. So I told them I'd sign their sales agreement with the added wording "contingent on satisfactory user inspection and financing" and they are trying to bully me into signing the contract w/o that.

Has anyone agreed to buy an RV without a test drive first!? I even asked if they would let the inspector take it out for a spin for me and they said, "no".

Don’t walk away. RUN
Old 07-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #16

Test drive or walk !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #17
D W

The dealer has already set the hook. Now he's just reeling you in, nice and slow.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #18

I don’t own a RV. I’m looking. I was surprised by MHS’s low prices. Research shows they are legit, and you can save a lot of money. But if you get a lemon you will be low priority at your local dealer.

Do you want a low price or full service locally? You can’t have your cake and eat it too.
Ron750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #19

I think this situation would make me nervous enough to walk away.
Don’t blame you for feeling that too.
evil irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:05 PM   #20

Having worked the dealership side of the fence for awhile, I would just offer this as a possible justification:

More so than with cars, "Lookers" at boat and RV stores are often just killing time. For a dealer sales force to burn up a lot of time setting up a road test and accept the liability and loss in case of an accident is something that some stores will choose not to do.

That said, In your case, I think it should be clear that you are a very serious prospect, and it would be smart of them to bend the rules if they are allowed to.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, fuse