Old 09-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to flaggonzo
Why would the dealer/manufacturer walk on the slides?

I just picked up my first trailer this past weekend. I intend to write a review later. After the inside and outside of the PDI was complete, I climbed up on the roof to inspect it. I saw footsteps all over the roof and on both slides. I have the Rockwood 2707WS which has opposing slides in the living area. I did a search on the Forum and found a thread in which someone asked if it's ok to walk on the slideouts to clean them. Most of the forum members that replied suggested not to walk on the roof of the slides.

I asked the tech doing the PDI and he did not know. He then stated he does not recall seeing a new trailer delivered that did not have footsteps on the slides.

Later as I was finishing up, I saw the manager and asked him the same question. He said the same thing, had not seen one show up to the dealership from the factory without footsteps.

I am glad they both worked when we did our initial overnight camp but It seemed odd to me that I would have several footsteps on both slide outs.

flaggonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
Head Rambler

When the factory guys are installing the rooftop items (A/C, skylights, vents, antenna, etc.), even the membrane itself, they walk all over the roof. Even installing the seals and roof of the slides, they walk on the roofs.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #3
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggonzo View Post
I just picked up my first trailer this past weekend. I intend to write a review later. After the inside and outside of the PDI was complete, I climbed up on the roof to inspect it. I saw footsteps all over the roof and on both slides. I have the Rockwood 2707WS which has opposing slides in the living area. I did a search on the Forum and found a thread in which someone asked if it's ok to walk on the slideouts to clean them. Most of the forum members that replied suggested not to walk on the roof of the slides.

I asked the tech doing the PDI and he did not know. He then stated he does not recall seeing a new trailer delivered that did not have footsteps on the slides.

Later as I was finishing up, I saw the manager and asked him the same question. He said the same thing, had not seen one show up to the dealership from the factory without footsteps.

I am glad they both worked when we did our initial overnight camp but It seemed odd to me that I would have several footsteps on both slide outs.

I was visiting Webb's RV in Bangor, ME earlier this summer and watched a worker standing on the top of the slide while washing it...why, don't have a clue. But as DW commented the weight of the worker whether on the roof or sitting in the lounge chair shouldn't affect the integrity of the slide.
Who knows....but workers do it.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
When the factory guys are installing the rooftop items (A/C, skylights, vents, antenna, etc.), even the membrane itself, they walk all over the roof. Even installing the seals and roof of the slides, they walk on the roofs.
We've been to the FR factories twice and never saw them walk on the slides. The slides were installed AFTER the roof work was done.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:53 PM   #5

I walk on ours all the time, never had a problem with the roofs or slides, now watch, next trip, whammy, none of them will work.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:09 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to flaggonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephndudb View Post
We've been to the FR factories twice and never saw them walk on the slides. The slides were installed AFTER the roof work was done.
Thanks for the bit of info. I did find it odd and was a little concerned but now that I have heard from folks who have walked on theirs makes me feel like it will be alright.
flaggonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:18 PM   #7

I personally wouldn't walk on mine (I'm nervous walking on the roof), but one person shouldn't hurt. If you have 4 or 5 people sitting at the table and on the couch, I'm sure the slide can take the weight.
Max Tow (3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2000 Honda EX 400

Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I walk on my slides all the time...

But I don't weigh 300 pounds, either.

Just because someone has been "doing it for years with no problems" doesn't mean you should!
JohnD10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #9
Site Team

In some cases dealers may find questionable spots that they feel need a little extra sealant during their inspection. I had two spots on mine where the sealant was a slightly different color. When I asked, they told me that is what they did.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #10

You'll need to walk on your slides if you decide to install a slide topper. It's pretty hard to figure out any other way of installing a slide topper safely.

–Gordon

gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, slide