Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to flaggonzo
Why would the dealer/manufacturer walk on the slides?

I just picked up my first trailer this past weekend. I intend to write a review later. After the inside and outside of the PDI was complete, I climbed up on the roof to inspect it. I saw footsteps all over the roof and on both slides. I have the Rockwood 2707WS which has opposing slides in the living area. I did a search on the Forum and found a thread in which someone asked if it's ok to walk on the slideouts to clean them. Most of the forum members that replied suggested not to walk on the roof of the slides.

I asked the tech doing the PDI and he did not know. He then stated he does not recall seeing a new trailer delivered that did not have footsteps on the slides.

Later as I was finishing up, I saw the manager and asked him the same question. He said the same thing, had not seen one show up to the dealership from the factory without footsteps.

I am glad they both worked when we did our initial overnight camp but It seemed odd to me that I would have several footsteps on both slide outs.
flaggonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
Site Team

When the factory guys are installing the rooftop items (A/C, skylights, vents, antenna, etc.), even the membrane itself, they walk all over the roof. Even installing the seals and roof of the slides, they walk on the roofs.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #3
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggonzo View Post
I just picked up my first trailer this past weekend. I intend to write a review later. After the inside and outside of the PDI was complete, I climbed up on the roof to inspect it. I saw footsteps all over the roof and on both slides. I have the Rockwood 2707WS which has opposing slides in the living area. I did a search on the Forum and found a thread in which someone asked if it's ok to walk on the slideouts to clean them. Most of the forum members that replied suggested not to walk on the roof of the slides.

I asked the tech doing the PDI and he did not know. He then stated he does not recall seeing a new trailer delivered that did not have footsteps on the slides.

Later as I was finishing up, I saw the manager and asked him the same question. He said the same thing, had not seen one show up to the dealership from the factory without footsteps.

I am glad they both worked when we did our initial overnight camp but It seemed odd to me that I would have several footsteps on both slide outs.

I was visiting Webb's RV in Bangor, ME earlier this summer and watched a worker standing on the top of the slide while washing it...why, don't have a clue. But as DW commented the weight of the worker whether on the roof or sitting in the lounge chair shouldn't affect the integrity of the slide.
Who knows....but workers do it.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
When the factory guys are installing the rooftop items (A/C, skylights, vents, antenna, etc.), even the membrane itself, they walk all over the roof. Even installing the seals and roof of the slides, they walk on the roofs.
We've been to the FR factories twice and never saw them walk on the slides. The slides were installed AFTER the roof work was done.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:53 PM   #5

I walk on ours all the time, never had a problem with the roofs or slides, now watch, next trip, whammy, none of them will work.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:09 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to flaggonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephndudb View Post
We've been to the FR factories twice and never saw them walk on the slides. The slides were installed AFTER the roof work was done.
Thanks for the bit of info. I did find it odd and was a little concerned but now that I have heard from folks who have walked on theirs makes me feel like it will be alright.
flaggonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:18 PM   #7

I personally wouldn't walk on mine (I'm nervous walking on the roof), but one person shouldn't hurt. If you have 4 or 5 people sitting at the table and on the couch, I'm sure the slide can take the weight.
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I walk on my slides all the time...

But I don't weigh 300 pounds, either.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #9
Site Team

In some cases dealers may find questionable spots that they feel need a little extra sealant during their inspection. I had two spots on mine where the sealant was a slightly different color. When I asked, they told me that is what they did.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #10

You'll need to walk on your slides if you decide to install a slide topper. It's pretty hard to figure out any other way of installing a slide topper safely.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post
You'll need to walk on your slides if you decide to install a slide topper. It's pretty hard to figure out any other way of installing a slide topper safely.

–Gordon
I disagree with this. I installed a slide topper this summer using a ladder. Nowhere in the instructions did it mention stepping on your slide roof to install. I installed mine safely 😉
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #12
Happy Keystone Owner

Probably had the roof material rolled out on the floor, cutting to size, before they installed it.
I don’t see a concern.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post

–Gordon
No, sorry, there's no reason to walk on a slide out while installing a topper awning.
Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarr View Post
Probably had the roof material rolled out on the floor, cutting to size, before they installed it.
I don’t see a concern.
I toured the Rockwood plant and the material is never stepped on while building the slides.
Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:38 PM   #15
I'm Lost

Not me

The dealer told me it was perfectly safe to walk on my Rockwood 8310SS rear superslide. Second trip out with it I went out on it to sweep off pine needles, it was springy in the middle up against the side of the main body of the TT. This was the first and last time I ever walked on my slides.

Sure, 6 or 8 heavyweight persons could sit in the slide (keyword is "IN"), that's not the same as one person walking on the thin roof structure with no support in it's 13' length.

Just my thoughts,
Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #16
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Most slides are walkable...just as most RV roofs are walkable.

I use mine to get up on the roof from the 6-foot step ladder I carry when on the road.

I'll bet if you call Forest River with your Vin# handy they can give you the downlow on your slides...and anything else you want to know about your specific trailer or motorhome.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #17

You sit in the slide, (sometimes 2, 3, or 4 people), so why would walking on it be any different. As with any roof work you need to be careful and tread lightly. Don't twist your shoes while in contact with the roof membrane, and obviously don't jump up and down, but the slide itself should be capable of holding your weight, (within reason of course), and doing maintenance up there should not be detrimental to the slide operation or the roof integrity. If you plan to dance up there then the consequences are your own.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
No, sorry, there's no reason to walk on a slide out while installing a topper awning.
Indeed, it is possible to install a slide topper with ladders. But, if you have a 16 slide, you have to keep shifting the ladder along while you move the bead in place. Or lie on your belly while you hang over the edge. In practice, it is pretty common to open the slide and use it as a platform while installing the bead on the motorhome.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:23 PM   #19

At some point someone stepped on our slide. Must've been a bit heavier than the TT liked because it caused a dip in the roof. This has resulted in water getting under the slide seal because it no longer seals completely. I had to do some repairs and build up the roof in that area with some Eternabond. I also intend to install a slide topper to keep water off it as much as possible. We bought it used March to have the leak appear in May during our first trip in the rain. Next time I buy used I will make them run a sprinkler for a bit and check for leaks.

2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 254DSX
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 6.2L
BeckyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:24 PM   #20
Site Team

Maybe the prints are from when it was a sheet if slide roof material laying on the ground. It was later cut and mounted on the slide out with tracks already there. ??

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, slide