Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 07:50 AM   #11
Head Rambler

Flatulence also contains methane, and there has been more than one report of pets (At least they get the blame for it) setting off the propane alarm.

There are a lot of different gaseous combinations that will set them off, but they should never be disabled, and they should be tested periodically.

They also have a expiration date on them (~5 to 7 years from mfg.) and should be replaced when they exceed the date or fail a test.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #12
Site Team

Also FYI- when a previous trailer was brand new we had a few "false alarms" of our LP detector. We never smelled gas but the alarms always came when it was parked and completely shut up. Including the LP tanks OFF. It had a fairly strong "new trailer" smell inside. We decided that out-gassing of the various man made materials in the trailer was the culprit. We started leaving
our roof vent (maxxair rain proof) open and no more false alarms.

After the rig was a year or so old the problem went away.

1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-36
Old 08-17-2016, 08:20 AM   #13

Timely reminder and good info
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
Old 08-17-2016, 08:20 AM   #14

DW only uses elect. cooking, so I removed both 30# propane tanks to get rid of that weight, plus gave me a great place to build a customized bike rack for our two bikes,.... we use small elect. heaters for heat,....... elect. can always start a fire, but it doesn't go "boom".......

Old 08-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #15

thanks - good info for a relative newby like myself. I'll be putting "check stove burner settings" on my set up/take down list. thanks - cinica
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:04 PM   #16

Thank you for sharing. It's a sad story, but a good reminder for all.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:02 PM   #17

Good reminder. We actually had this happen last week while camping in NC. sitting in the 5ver and DW says something stinks in the bathroom. I think it is the black tank or no water in the toilet bowl. No odor in bathroom. Must be trash. I grab trash and take outside and down to dumpster. Nope still smells. No alarms going off and we have both the factory installed alarm and a combo plug in smoke/gas detector alarm. Finally DW notices that one of the burners was on just a tiny bit.

As others above we opened all the doors and windows and aired out. We were concerned that neither of our alarms activated. Both test fine when you push the test buttons but both failed to alert us to the propane. We considered ourselves lucky it was while we were awake and we were able to smell the rotten smell.

It is a good reminder for all.

2013 Puma Unleashed 351THSS Toy Hauler
2015 GMC 2500HD
Old 08-18-2016, 07:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmck1737 View Post
Good reminder. We actually had this happen last week while camping in NC. sitting in the 5ver and DW says something stinks in the bathroom. I think it is the black tank or no water in the toilet bowl. No odor in bathroom. Must be trash. I grab trash and take outside and down to dumpster. Nope still smells. No alarms going off and we have both the factory installed alarm and a combo plug in smoke/gas detector alarm. Finally DW notices that one of the burners was on just a tiny bit.

As others above we opened all the doors and windows and aired out. We were concerned that neither of our alarms activated. Both test fine when you push the test buttons but both failed to alert us to the propane. We considered ourselves lucky it was while we were awake and we were able to smell the rotten smell.

It is a good reminder for all.
So does anyone know another safe way to test them out besides the test buttons? 😯
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Old 08-18-2016, 07:54 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincia View Post
thanks - good info for a relative newby like myself. I'll be putting "check stove burner settings" on my set up/take down list. thanks - cinica
Good idea. Also, be advised that set up and take down are not the only time this burner knob problem can occur. This problem can occur just prior to going out for ice cream!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 42; booked = 20
Old 08-18-2016, 08:45 PM   #20

This is a very good lesson we can all learn from. Recently, on our last camping trip in July, I was preparing our camper to go. One of the first things I do is open the valves on the propane tanks. I try to always shut them off between trips. So I opened both tank valves and went about cleaning and doing an inventory. A few hours later I get a whiff of propane outside. I shut it off and investigated a leak. The right side of the auto switch cable was leaking. A very scary situation and I was thankful I got that faint whiff of propane as it had potential to be catastrophic.

Tags
propane