Old 08-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #11

My only advice is 9 days is not going to be nearly enough time.
Especially, during the busy July 4th time period.
There are SO MANY wonderful things to see that traveling from WV to Montana and back in 9 days will leave you wishing you had 9 months!

TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=8
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #12
Dr Travel

I'll second that. North American Park is best value and a quick drive to Glacier on the west side of the park.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielabram71 View Post
Ok we live in southern wv. The wife really wants to do this. In the mines 4th of July week I get about 9 days off. Was just wandering if anyone knows any good campgrounds there and any tips things to see and things like that would be helpful. Thanks in advance
Not to be a wet blanket.....but during your time period, what you will see most is an endless stream of RV's with midwest plates.

If you do go, research the BLM campgrounds. Though dry, they are in the most lovely spots.

Major Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #14

Nine days is not enough time to visit Glacier. I live outside of Pittsburgh, Pa and it is 2100 miles to East Glacier from my house. It took us 4 days to return from East Glacier in June.

I suggest a more modest trip to Custer State Park in the Black Hills of South Dakota. You have Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse monuments near the park. I recommend a circular tour from Custer SP by driving north on the Iron Mountain road to Mt Rushmore and south on the Needles Highway from Mt Rushmore. The tunnels on the Iron Mountain road frame Mt Rushmore in the distance when going north bound. You can visit Devil's Tower and the Little Bighorn battle field as day trips from your campsite. You are also close to the Badlands NP, Wind Cave NP and Jewel Cave NM.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:38 PM   #15

Trip to Montana

Looking at making that trip from Michigan. I would also like to continue on north to Fairbanks trough Alberta, BC, YT. I am looking at GNP, St Mary's Lake Campground in the NE part of the Park. Anyone been there?
Old 08-22-2016, 09:34 PM   #16

For sure visit Glacier Natl Park and the going to the sun highway. Stay at the West Glacier KOA. One of the finest campgrounds we have ever been to. Have fun and see if u can stretch that vacation to at least 2 weeks. It is a long haul out there.

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ and Louie the wonder dog
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:09 PM   #17
jammer 16

KOA west glacier park is the best. Take the red bus trip for going to the sun road. Well worth the time and expenses. Plenty of float trips available be sure to buy some huckleberry jelly. Banff Canada is a day's drive away and again well worth it. There is a special tt area owned by the government. While there take the tram to the top of sulfer mountain for a small additional charge you can get a prime rib dinner in the glass restaurant at the top. Plenty of hiking places in both areas. Vacationed there for the last two years and would go again tomorrow. The west side diffently the place to start Good luck safe travels.
rlschurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:14 AM   #18

We stayed in West Columbia MT and we enjoyed it, Glacier is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:24 PM   #19
Retired

St Marys campground in GNP

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Looking at making that trip from Michigan. I would also like to continue on north to Fairbanks trough Alberta, BC, YT. I am looking at GNP, St Mary's Lake Campground in the NE part of the Park. Anyone been there?
We camped at St Marys from 6/29 to 7/6 of this year. Nice campground, it took reservations so we were guaranteed a spot. Sites are different sizes so do some checking depending on what size your rig. We had a 32 ft Sunseeker and a Jeep and stayed in site C106. It's within a half mile to visitors center where you can catch the free shuttle for the road to the sun.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:22 PM   #20

Looking at making that a stop for a few days but not this year. Was GNP your destination or did you continue. I see the CG has no elec. hook up. 30 ft. freelander MH and not sure if we will be towing.