Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2016, 12:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
That's the way the Louisiana State Parks are setup. They have filters that block the streaming video sites, like you listed.

I've been to Arkansas State Parks that were more accommodating, if you wanted to pay the price. They have a free wi-fi that also blocked the streaming sites, but then had a third party wi-fi system that you pay like $10 dollars a day and be able to stream anything you wanted. Actually I didn't mind that and kind of liked it.

As far as the wifi booster, I have and use one at a few of my LA Parks who have a very weak wifi signal. It doesn't allow me to get past their filters, but does let me pick up and hold a signal where otherwise it wouldn't.

So to the OP, it's going to depend on whose/what wi-fi signal you are boosting, to see if it enables you to connect to a streaming service.
Now this is a good idea, If CG have to keep paying for new and improved WIFI so someone can stream it's just going to cost campers more money to stay there. If you want to stream and can't live without it then pay as they do in Arkansas, why have a camper who only uses it for checking emails have to pay the raised cost which will be passed on to the camper who does't want to stream, bring a CD, or stay home and watch TV. The CG I stayed at had 9 repeaters to give you the best WIFI they can, but still did not allow streaming. But we had solid but slow WiFI, if you got up at 3:00 AM the the WiFI was alot faster then at 4:00PM. If you work out of your camper invest in your own system. Then the regular campers won't have to pay for this technology. A CG is a business it will be passed a long to the average consumer. So have the consumer pay if they want to do that as in Arkansas....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #22

I work remotely and need the internet. I have used the hotspot on my phone to have wifi for work.

At the park we are at now, the wifi is good enough to stream (and we do at night) but this is the first time. Usually you can barely do anything on it.

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:59 PM   #23
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martsing View Post
I don't stream old episodes of Barney but I do have a job where I need to log into work networks from time to time. I need to have a reliable connection or at least as good as I can get.

Thank you for playing.

Marty
IMO, work wifi can use a lot of bandwidth. It still comes down to what you need to do. My daily usage can be upwards of a gig or more a day- depending on what is on the agenda. I'm not saying that you've indicated otherwise, but proper and considerate use is always paramount.

WiFi boosters do work. I opted for the expensive WifiRanger, but honestly rarely use its boosting capabilities as I carry a mobile hotspot. Carrying a mobile hotspot, maybe a cellular booster, and being aware of coverage maps is the only way that you can almost guarantee yourself Internet connectivity when you need it.

The biggest problem with wifi boosters is that you're usually boosting crappy internet. The source is slow and frustrating to use- you just get a better connection to that same frustratingly slow crappy internet. If they have decent Internet, they likely have a decent wifi network and thusly, you don't need a booster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Ependydad works out of his 5er and he uses mobile hotspots, he might have better advice for working. I have yet to really find a campground where WiFi is great and I just use it to maybe check an email. If you need it for work my guess is you need it to be consistent and work. Might not get that with the crappie CG WiFi.
I do! In fact, I was answering it to often on FB groups that I wrote up a blog entry.

Learn To RV: Mobile Internet on the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels4g View Post
I work remotely and need the internet. I have used the hotspot on my phone to have wifi for work.

At the park we are at now, the wifi is good enough to stream (and we do at night) but this is the first time. Usually you can barely do anything on it.
A phone hotspot is a perfectly fine solution for light usage. But there are definitely limitations to it.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #24

espedydad, I just read your blog very good IMO. I have no dog in this, but I have a MIFI jetpack from Verizon that we will use to transmit personal information and when we can't stand how slow the CG internet gets. I have always found that late at night it works the best. I also have a smartphone which I got for Xmas, that I can use as a hot spot to. I combined my data between the two. Came out cheaper for me. Your in a total different position then I'm in. I don't use 6 gigs a month combined. Thanks for the link to your BLOG, your an interesting person, good luck and safe travels...

Old 04-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #25

We also use the Verizon Ellipsis Jetpack with a 10 gig plan and have never had a problem streaming anything. Rarely use it to stream any programs other than Big time football games, but it works flawlessly and it's secure.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:09 PM   #26

I have an AT&T iphone that I use as a hotspot. Up to this year it was pretty much useless for anything in many FL state park campgrounds, often getting either NO Service or maybe 1 bar in the evening. This year 2 of the state park campgrounds that I frequent near Apalachicola had much better AT&T signal then in previous years and 2 new to me central FL campgrounds had great signal all day (Hillsborough River and Highland Hammock). I was able to do online banking, play some games, and reserve for next year without the NO SIGNAL problems that I had in previous years.

I am still looking at investing in a WeBoost amp for next year

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:57 AM   #27

We use to have a dead zone right by the house, Now there is no problem people with AT&T have told me seems that they are putting in more towers to get better coverage, they where behind, but they seem to be investing more money in there coverage area. Glad to hear that it's getting better in Florida to. You read stuff all the time, but it's good to know they are doing something. AT&T have some great deals going but I didn't want to switch because of there dead spots, Verizon is not cheap by no means.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #28

IMO it's 2016 internet is part of are lives like it or not. If you want to have a full service campground and offer wifi then offer wifi that has a signal and works. If you block streaming let us customers know. A simple wifi available no streaming or full wifi available on your brochure is easy enough. Wifi is becoming as necessary today as cell phones are. Does anyone not own a cell phone anymore?
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:45 AM   #29

We use a wifi ranger elite with good success streaming video when band width available. If you are looking for a device it is expensive but works well. We have at times watched 2 video streams at once without problems. Range is realistically about 400-2000 feet from source depending on line of sight to antenna . Bandwidth of the source is always the limiting factor.
We rarely find CG wifi that can support video, many barely handle regular web page surfing from 2pm to 10 pm. If you want to watch a movie then you need to find a less crowded open wifi.
My wife and son are huge WWE fans with a subscription to stream live events. I usually end up driving to a Publix/Homedepot/Starbucks parking lot or nearby for them to watch. (I watch a movie on Netflix). Wifi ranger can pick up instore wifi from the back of large parking lots or across the street. We are a small motor home so moving is easy, and keeps everyone happy on the road. I would not plan on streaming video unless you plan to move to an open wifi when needed.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:53 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
The CG owner should invest in proper throttling technology to avoid this. If they choose to use a 9.99 router so be it. Real technology does not cost that much money to obtain and have a local tech mange when needed. Would server all better and eliminate hassles for CG staff. If they allow it to happen the end user is not the problem. I say use it if it is there.
This

I can limit bandwidth intensive programs on my home router. No reason a campground can't do the same.

They need to spend the money to up the service they have or put bandwidth limits in.
memsu is offline   Reply With Quote