Old 02-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #1

Wifi

Going full time (in 2 weeks) and getting a lot of different suggestions about WiFi and what we need (from folks who aren't RV'ers) and need help about what is good and low cost and will work for our phones and lap top. Thanks DD (David&Deb) and dog Bella

Old 02-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #2

We full time and I bought a Verizon MIFI4510. We couldn't be happier with it! I paid an extra $19 for an antennae -- not sure how much it helps the signal but we almost always have 4 or 5 bars & great reception. So far, we get 4G LTE coverage perhaps 80% of the time and 3G coverage the rest. Been using it since July and we have yet to stay in any campground where we don't have at least 3G coverage. Runs us $50 a month with a 5 Gig limit. A couple of times we have come close to the 5 Gig limit but on a typical month of just web browsing, etc, we only use about half of our allotment.

I'm sure ATT has a similar product but based upon my IPhone, their coverage isn't nearly as good for outlying areas where most campgrounds are located. My IPhone is sometimes on the Edge network with marginal coverage from ATT while my Verizon MIFI is cooking along just fine.

If you haven't heard, most RV parks list WIFI as an included amenity but many use substandard carriers and it's sketchy at best. It's almost an exception to be in a park where their WIFI works well. So having the MIFI as a backup is great. Plus, whenever I need to do banking or other sensitive things online, I always use my MIFI since it's much harder for others to hack & snoop.

Danno

danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #3

Smile WiFi

Thanks for the help with the WiFi, will check into it. Also trying to find out the best and low cost phone system. Right now we have smart phones and Verizon's service plan. Don't know if we should stay with it or try phones from Wal-mart or another pay as you need plan. I don't know about coverage and other services we will need (I am so confused with so little time left). This is a real education downsizing both stuff and expenses. Yet we are excited and really looking forward to start this new adventure!!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:22 AM   #4

we have been using verizon's mifi fulltiming for 1 1/2 years and it works most of the time. where it doesn't we have fortunate to have rv park wifi.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin-DD-Rodies View Post
Thanks for the help with the WiFi, will check into it. Also trying to find out the best and low cost phone system. Right now we have smart phones and Verizon's service plan. Don't know if we should stay with it or try phones from Wal-mart or another pay as you need plan. I don't know about coverage and other services we will need (I am so confused with so little time left). This is a real education downsizing both stuff and expenses. Yet we are excited and really looking forward to start this new adventure!!
X2 on the Verizon system, it works great and the best coverage, I have never had a problem. As far as a phone, I do not need all the bells and stuff with the newer phones. I use trac-phone. You buy your minutes and most of the time they will double them for free. I buy the 365 day plan. At the end of the year if you have minutes left they roll them over. I get coverage all over with it being they use any tower close by. I have had it for 4years now, I would check into that instead of getting involved in a contract....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #6

Check Verizon's JetPack.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #7

Rockin-DD-Roadies:
I have been using the Verizon MiFi device for about one and a half years now and it has yet to fail me. (I'm on it right now.) I also use their phone service. They give you an entry level phone for free when you sign up for the service and if you get phone and MiFi they will give you a package deal. For an entry level phone, LG, mine has worked where some $100 phones failed to pick up a signal. I'm perfectly happy with it and as mentioned, only you are using the Internet service as it has a code to access the Internet and only you will know the code, making it safer. Plus, they have offices and repair people all across America. They are very helpful and there's never a charge for service. (I only use a phone to make and receive calls but it has lots of options, including a 'phone book'. Hope this helps.
Jim
Old 02-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #8

Anything out there for AT&T ?
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #9

RattleNsmoke:
I would guess AT&T has very similar plans. I personally have never checked with them, but I can't imagine them not having package deals, as big as they are and for as long as they have been in the phone business.
Jim