Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #1

Wifi Hot spots

Currently camping near Glacier National Park. My Sprint WiFi Hot spot is virtually worthless. Haven't had a signal since Salt Lake City. Is there a Hot Spot carrier that's works in the places we want to camp?
Old 08-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Always Learning

I've always heard of Sprint's service being spotty. Given my coverage choice, I'd start with Verizon and then have AT&T next. Ironic as I just bought an AT&T hotspot. :-)

If we go full time next year, I'll be getting a Verizon hotspot.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Always Learning

That said, look at the coverage maps for each provider and ask the folks around you.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

We use Verizon, but haven't been west of Missouri trying it. So far, no problems East of the Mississippi river.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #5

Just finished a 5-week trip thru Jackson Hole, Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore using an AT&T I-phone, Verizon cell and Virgin Mobile USB modem with very limited or no service most of the time. Got to be really frustrating at times....but then we go camping to get away from everything..
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #6

Mark, you should be aware that although the big cell carriers are just about everywhere, the data world in that part of Montana is run by a local outfit - they are good, but you have to have local service to know about them. I feel your pain every time we are in Glacier.

I personally value internet service more than satellite TV and just keep waiting for a truly mobile internet that works where we like to camp - in the middle of nowhere. If you have $15k laying around it can be done now, but I would like something comparable to the $800-1400 Dish TV systems.

2012 GMC 3500 Duramax Crew Cab, SuperGlide 20k
2014 Cedar Creek 36B4, LP Onan, Level-Up, Trail-Air pin, electric fridge
Campwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
Just finished a 5-week trip thru Jackson Hole, Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore using an AT&T I-phone, Verizon cell and Virgin Mobile USB modem with very limited or no service most of the time. Got to be really frustrating at times....but then we go camping to get away from everything..
Same trip w/ Verizon and same experience. Strange that the National Parks have not done more to introduce better coverage. With the number of visitors and the potential of needing emergency aid most would rely on their phones. Although not cheap, I maintain hours on my On Star to have access to make calls back to family when we are in NO SERVICE zones.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
Hmm, that really gives me pause and reason for concern as we're looking at a year-long trip and I need to continue to work through-out the week.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #9

Maybe those of you who want or need to have internet while traveling should look into mible satellite internet.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Hmm, that really gives me pause and reason for concern as we're looking at a year-long trip and I need to continue to work through-out the week.
This makes me remember the movie RV where Robin Williams was trying to work and looking for a signal all the time.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #11

Just try to plan accordingly. That said - you are camping, not staying at hotels/motels. Once you leave the confines of the city, you leave. Call ahead to planned stops. Ensure you will have what you need. If you are boondocking, it's up in the air. Hughes and others have satellite options, a bit pricey but if you really need it, then get it. Plan now rather than just before the trip and set it up, practice and really use it before you have to use it and then know you need some help and you are in Bum--- somewhere, lost and no phone, well you get the idea.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote