Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 28
Wildwood Xlite - 26BH - Advice wanted needed

Hello all...I am new (will intro myself in a moment on the other threads). My husband and I have had a heck of a time camper wise this year. We started the season out with a Rockwood Premier pop-up. Decided to sell due to frustrations with the "set up". We then bought a small 17 foot hybrid Keystone Cabana. Took it camping one weekend and realized we should have done our research and bought something a bit bigger as we have 3 kids and a dog. Took advantage of the "hot" market for a hybrid and sold that. Turned around and bought a Trail-Lite Bantam. Took that camping one weekend and ended up with severed leaks and water damage that came to an estimated cost of over $7,000 to repair (it was a used unit and the guy lied to us we think). So our insurance total lossed it, paid us off and we are now shopping for another camper. This will be the 4th we have owned in the last 6-8 weeks.

Anyway, we are limited on weight because our vehicle is a mid-size SUV. Trailblazer EXT with a tow rating of 5300. Well after having the 2 hybrids and having a used unit go bad...hubby has decided that he wants a fully enclosed trailer brand new to get warranties, etc. Did our research, found the Wildwood Xlite series. Specifically the 26 BH. It's a 2010 so it's a blow out unit that we are getting brand new for roughly $4000-$6000 below MSRP. We really likek the trailer and have been told by a handful of professionals that our Trailblazer can handle it despite it's length of 27 foot. It's dry weight is 4200 and our rating as I said is 5300. We haven't started the financing yet and are slotted to get that going tomorrow but I thought I would see if ANYONE actually has one of these units. They were designed for minivans and small SUV's to haul but I have had a few freak when I tell them it's length.

Anyway - thoughts? Advice? I myself think it's over 1,000 lbs below our tow rating, have a load distributing hitch and we aren't planning on hauling this thing across country or in the mountains...I think we'll be fine. Just hoped to hear from someone that actually HAS one.

-Rachael - Michigan
__________________

__________________
crazyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
grhodes50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 2,613
When they tell you that a TT can be towed by a minivan or suv, that doesn't mean just any minivan or suv. It must be a properly equiped minivan or suv(tow package, engine size, etc...). Same goes for a Ĺ ton and so on.

The dry weight does not include full propane tanks, AC and other options. You can usually add about 500 lbs. to the listed dry weight. You can also add approx. 800 to 1,000 lbs of gear (clothes, pots and pans, bedding, towels, food, etc...) for a family of 5 if you pack light. That would give you a loaded weight of approx 5,500 lbs and a tongue weight of approx. 715 lbs (13% of loaded trailer weight).

The door sticker on your vehicle's driver's side will give your GVWR. Weigh your vehicle loaded (people and all) to see how much it weighs ready for camping. Add in the 715 lbs. for the tongue weight and you need to be under the GVWR.

Looking at the info you provided I believe you'll be over your max weight limits with your set up. I'm not sure of the wheelbase on your vehicle but a 27' TT may give you some sway problems as well.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, just trying to help.
Good luck. I hope you find what works for you.
__________________

__________________

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 28
Thank you for that reply I appreciate it.

According to our vehicle manual - we are the 3.73 wheel base with a max trailer weight of 5300 lbs and a GCWR of 10,500 lbs. We do have a tow package and the sticker on our hitch says that using a WD hitch, if our vehicle is rated for it - the hitch can handle up to 7600 lbs and up to 913 lbs on the tongue.

This is all so confusing to me and we have to make a decision on this TT that we have put a deposit on - by tonight. When towing the 22 foot hybrid - it was like pulling nothing. And it was pushing 4200 loaded with passengers as well.

Hmmm....now I think I am just super confused.
__________________
crazyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Bruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 21
Not sure this helps or not, but I have a Dodge Dakota with a 4.7 V8 and I just purchased this unit today. It is rated for 6600lbs, but I would bet that the engine in your Trailblazer is similar to mine. Granted, my truck is too undersized to an extent for the trailer, but I hope that I can pull it for a while before I buy my wife a Tahoe. I would sell my Wrangler so I could get it for her, but I swore that I would never sell another Wrangler again!
__________________
Bruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
The Old Man
 
Willis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 330
Michigan isn't particularly mountainous if I remember right...towing on the flat is much less strain on your tow vehicle. But towing close to the max would not be a good idea in mountains. Pulling too much weight uphill threatens the life of your tow vehicle; towing too much weight downhill threatens your life and everyone else within a hundred yards of your runaway trailer. So make sure your tow vehicle has a brake controller and that it's set correctly and that you've practiced how to use it.
__________________
2010 Flagstaff 829RGSS

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
grhodes50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyv View Post
Thank you for that reply I appreciate it.

According to our vehicle manual - we are the 3.73 wheel base with a max trailer weight of 5300 lbs and a GCWR of 10,500 lbs. We do have a tow package and the sticker on our hitch says that using a WD hitch, if our vehicle is rated for it - the hitch can handle up to 7600 lbs and up to 913 lbs on the tongue.

This is all so confusing to me and we have to make a decision on this TT that we have put a deposit on - by tonight. When towing the 22 foot hybrid - it was like pulling nothing. And it was pushing 4200 loaded with passengers as well.

Hmmm....now I think I am just super confused.
The 3:73 is your rear end gear ratio and what you have is a good tow ratio for your vehicle.

The wheelbase is the distance between your front tires and your rear tires(center to center). The longer the wheel base, the longer TT it can handle safely.
Here's a chart for wheelbase(")-vs-trailer length('):
110" 20' ******* 150" 30'
114" 21' ******* 154" 31'
118" 22' ******* 158" 32'
122" 23' ******* 162" 33'
126" 24' ******* 166" 34'
130" 25' ******* 170" 35'
134" 26' ******* 174" 36'
138" 27' ******* 178" 37'
142" 28' ******* 182" 38'
146" 29' ******* 186" 39'

Your hitch may be able to handle that much weight (7,600), but your vehicle can't (5,300). You have to use the lower of the two.

Your GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating - that's your TV + TT + everything loaded in both) is 10,500. If your "loaded for camping" TT weights the max for your TV, 5,300, that leaves 5,200 for your "loaded for camping" vehicle including hitch and tongue weight. The only way to know your actual weights for sure is to load everything and everybody, then go weigh it.

I would like to caution you about pushing the numbers. While you will be able to tow a trailer at or even above your max numbers, it may not be a pleasent drive. Especially if you have adverse conditions such as rain or high winds. I'm guessing your wanting to know not just what you can tow, but what you can tow safely.

As mentioned above, you'll need a good brake controller for the TT. Prodigy is one that people on this forum seem to like. I also recommend a wd hitch with built in sway control such as the Reese Dual Cam or the Equal-i-zer.

All of this can be confussing. It took me awhile to understand everything. Just keep asking and we'll keep trying to answer.
__________________

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
The 3:73 is your rear end gear ratio and what you have is a good tow ratio for your vehicle.

The wheelbase is the distance between your front tires and your rear tires(center to center). The longer the wheel base, the longer TT it can handle safely.
Here's a chart for wheelbase(")-vs-trailer length('):
110" 20' ******* 150" 30'
114" 21' ******* 154" 31'
118" 22' ******* 158" 32'
122" 23' ******* 162" 33'
126" 24' ******* 166" 34'
130" 25' ******* 170" 35'
134" 26' ******* 174" 36'
138" 27' ******* 178" 37'
142" 28' ******* 182" 38'
146" 29' ******* 186" 39'

Your hitch may be able to handle that much weight (7,600), but your vehicle can't (5,300). You have to use the lower of the two.

Your GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating - that's your TV + TT + everything loaded in both) is 10,500. If your "loaded for camping" TT weights the max for your TV, 5,300, that leaves 5,200 for your "loaded for camping" vehicle including hitch and tongue weight. The only way to know your actual weights for sure is to load everything and everybody, then go weigh it.

I would like to caution you about pushing the numbers. While you will be able to tow a trailer at or even above your max numbers, it may not be a pleasent drive. Especially if you have adverse conditions such as rain or high winds. I'm guessing your wanting to know not just what you can tow, but what you can tow safely.

As mentioned above, you'll need a good brake controller for the TT. Prodigy is one that people on this forum seem to like. I also recommend a wd hitch with built in sway control such as the Reese Dual Cam or the Equal-i-zer.

All of this can be confussing. It took me awhile to understand everything. Just keep asking and we'll keep trying to answer.

Ok, after doing a BUNCH of reading, a bit of chatting with family/friends...here is what I have:

Our wheel base is 128" which according to that chart we should be at 24 or 25 foot on a TT length. So, we are pushing it there. On the weight, we totalled all the passengers, the tongue, the vehicle, and the TT & we only have 600 lbs left for cargo. So, again, we are pushing it on that as well.

So basically, the trailer isn't SAFE for our vehicle or family. I can't tell you how bummed we are. We'll be calling tomorrow for our deposit back (thank goodness it's refundable). And now we have to start all over again to find something. Add in a very ornery husband who refuses to see any other options or be patient and I see a very CRAPPY week ahead of me.
__________________
crazyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
grhodes50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyv View Post
Ok, after doing a BUNCH of reading, a bit of chatting with family/friends...here is what I have:

Our wheel base is 128" which according to that chart we should be at 24 or 25 foot on a TT length. So, we are pushing it there. On the weight, we totalled all the passengers, the tongue, the vehicle, and the TT & we only have 600 lbs left for cargo. So, again, we are pushing it on that as well.

So basically, the trailer isn't SAFE for our vehicle or family. I can't tell you how bummed we are. We'll be calling tomorrow for our deposit back (thank goodness it's refundable). And now we have to start all over again to find something. Add in a very ornery husband who refuses to see any other options or be patient and I see a very CRAPPY week ahead of me.
Your wheelbase is close. A good hitch with built in sway control may work for you.

600 lbs isn't much for 5 people, but you may be able to make it work. Problem is, as time goes on "stuff" seems to accumlate in the trailer.

I checked FR's web site and the specs on the trailer were 407 lbs tongue weight and 4,050 lbs dry. That's approx. 11% tongue weight, not 13% that I used in my earlier post (tongue weights should fall between 10 and 15%). That would save approx 200 lbs from the loaded tongue weight that I posted before.

When you go to get your deposit back, ask if you can test tow the trailer. Most dealers will let you do this. You will be towing an empty trailer, but at least it will give you an idea where you stand. You might possibly be able to find some scales in your area and get the true weight of your set up. Remember, the numbers I put in my post are estimates at best. You never really know until you check the scales and hook up and go.

Again, I'm not trying to burst your bubble. Just trying to help you get a set up that you can relax and enjoy. Keep us posted on what you come up with.

P.S. Just thought I would add. If it was me, I would either look for a smaller trailer or a bigger tow vehicle.
__________________

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:15 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Your wheelbase is close. A good hitch with built in sway control may work for you.

600 lbs isn't much for 5 people, but you may be able to make it work. Problem is, as time goes on "stuff" seems to accumlate in the trailer.

I checked FR's web site and the specs on the trailer were 407 lbs tongue weight and 4,050 lbs dry. That's approx. 11% tongue weight, not 13% that I used in my earlier post (tongue weights should fall between 10 and 15%). That would save approx 200 lbs from the loaded tongue weight that I posted before.

When you go to get your deposit back, ask if you can test tow the trailer. Most dealers will let you do this. You will be towing an empty trailer, but at least it will give you an idea where you stand. You might possibly be able to find some scales in your area and get the true weight of your set up. Remember, the numbers I put in my post are estimates at best. You never really know until you check the scales and hook up and go.

Again, I'm not trying to burst your bubble. Just trying to help you get a set up that you can relax and enjoy. Keep us posted on what you come up with.

P.S. Just thought I would add. If it was me, I would either look for a smaller trailer or a bigger tow vehicle.
Yep, but this particular one has the upgrade option of an actual WALL between front bedroom and rest of trailer...so it's actual dry weight is 4250. *sigh* At this point every 100 lbs counts and it just isn't going to work. If we were 2 years forward in time, we would just change vehicles but we can't do that right now.
__________________
crazyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:19 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
grhodes50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 2,613
It's too bad the TT you want isn't working for you. Keep looking, you'll find something that will work.
There's alot of good people on this forum that are willing to help, so keep posting any questions you may have.

Good luck.
__________________

__________________

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 AM.