Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 02:09 PM   #1

Wind Noise

Hello
We'd had our 2015 Prism 2150 for about 9 months now. Everything about it is great except for one thing, wind noise. When we are traveling over 60mph and the prevailing wind is hitting the coach on the passenger side, a howling noise starts up. It seems to be coming from the front of the coach but it's hard to tell. I've had it to the dealer and I've done just about everything I can think of to isolate the noise. I removed the tv antenna, taped up the vents on the hood, caulked between the coach overhang and the van roof, all to no avail! As my last resort I'm hoping to find someone that's had a similar problem. Help!
Toddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:13 AM   #2

Our 2004 Chevy Trailblazer does the same thing since the windshield was replaced a few months ago. We tried calling the glass company, but their number was disconnected. We think it either doesn't have a good seal, or maybe they tore part of the rubber seal around the window. Seriously thinking about calling our insurance company to see if we can have another windshield installed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:55 AM   #3

Simple fix, drive under 60mph and save fuel, smell the roses, and hopefully no noise...
Your home is with you so what is the rush...???? We drive 56-58 mph and see the same rigs pass us 3 times in a four travel window...we say there he is again, and they are probably thinking we have passed this guy 3 times won t he ever get out of my way????

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddles View Post
Hello
We'd had our 2015 Prism 2150 for about 9 months now. Everything about it is great except for one thing, wind noise. When we are traveling over 60mph and the prevailing wind is hitting the coach on the passenger side, a howling noise starts up. It seems to be coming from the front of the coach but it's hard to tell. I've had it to the dealer and I've done just about everything I can think of to isolate the noise. I removed the tv antenna, taped up the vents on the hood, caulked between the coach overhang and the van roof, all to no avail! As my last resort I'm hoping to find someone that's had a similar problem. Help!
Those problems are hard to find, I had a wind noise like that on my jeep. It was driving me nuts, What I found was that the window rain guard had a little opening at the bottom front end. Once I siliconed it, it stopped. I'm not saying thats your problem but any thing like that can cause it. Mine was so small like 1/8" or so but that is what problem was. Can be a bugger to find. Something is interrupting the flow over the unit. Could even be a lose fender well. Very tough to find, and mine wouldn't start until I was going 60 or above.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Hello
I have the 2015 Prisim 24J. I do not have the bunkie over the cab. I def notice more wind noise/pressure above 55. I tried to keep it at max 55.. when it approached 65 I notice more noise from the sloped front part of the coach. I do not notice if it is more on one side or the other. Which tells me I do not have the same issue.

How do you like the MBS? How many miles so far? I am averaging around 20mpg and we are at 6000 miles. No DEF addition yet

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:21 AM   #6

Try driving 56 mph on the interstate! Kind of an unrealistic solution!!!
Old 09-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #7

Hi
So far it's been great but our mileage isn't as good as what you've been getting. We have just over 4000 miles on it now and get around 14 mpg. If I could only get rid of the wind noise issue! Take care!!!
Old 11-16-2015, 05:16 PM   #8

Wind Noise

Well after owning our motorhome for almost a year and several trips to the dealer, I finally figured out the source of the wind noise! On a recent trip my wife and I were hollering back and forth to overcome the annoying wind noise when I turned on the windshield wipers and washed the windshield. To our amazement, the noise stopped! After a while, it started again. The wiper blades! Took them off, no difference, still the noise persisted. Stopped and taped up the wiper arms, no help, still the noise howled. After being bummed out I turned the wiper on with no fluid, there was still noise but it stopped when the blade got near the windshield post on the driver side. Washed the windshield and the noise stopped for a while but soon started up again. After trying to figure out what was going on (and emptying my washer fluid reservoir) I noticed when the noise stopped, washer fluid was pooling up against the windshield seal along the edge on the driver side. I reached out the window and felt a lip on the seal. I stopped and got out my duct tape and ran it down the windshield edge from top to bottom, NO MORE NOISE!!!!! The seal seems to have another channel in it above the windshield, it almost looks like it was put in the wrong groove. Maybe it's supposed to act like a rain gutter, who knows... All I know is that when the groove was dry, it howled, when it was full of washer fluid it must have changed the aerodynamics and stopped howling.

All the hours and money I spent, not to mention listening to the almost constant noise, trying to figure out where it was coming from!!!!

I normally don't post long-winded posts like this but if I can save just 1 person from dealing with something like this, I think it's worth it!

I made an appointment with the Mercedes Benz dealer to see what they do to fix it.

Happy! Happy! Happy!!!!
Old 11-16-2015, 05:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Well after owning our motorhome for almost a year and several trips to the dealer, I finally figured out the source of the wind noise! On a recent trip my wife and I were hollering back and forth to overcome the annoying wind noise when I turned on the windshield wipers and washed the windshield. To our amazement, the noise stopped! After a while, it started again. The wiper blades! Took them off, no difference, still the noise persisted. Stopped and taped up the wiper arms, no help, still the noise howled. After being bummed out I turned the wiper on with no fluid, there was still noise but it stopped when the blade got near the windshield post on the driver side. Washed the windshield and the noise stopped for a while but soon started up again. After trying to figure out what was going on (and emptying my washer fluid reservoir) I noticed when the noise stopped, washer fluid was pooling up against the windshield seal along the edge on the driver side. I reached out the window and felt a lip on the seal. I stopped and got out my duct tape and ran it down the windshield edge from top to bottom, NO MORE NOISE!!!!! The seal seems to have another channel in it above the windshield, it almost looks like it was put in the wrong groove. Maybe it's supposed to act like a rain gutter, who knows... All I know is that when the groove was dry, it howled, when it was full of washer fluid it must have changed the aerodynamics and stopped howling.

All the hours and money I spent, not to mention listening to the almost constant noise, trying to figure out where it was coming from!!!!

I normally don't post long-winded posts like this but if I can save just 1 person from dealing with something like this, I think it's worth it!

I made an appointment with the Mercedes Benz dealer to see what they do to fix it.

Happy! Happy! Happy!!!!

Yay!!!!!!!!!!! Can you post a pick of that channel? I want to check out mine

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:59 PM   #10

IMG_20151116_162823585.jpg
IMG_20151116_163457443.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151116_162823585.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	94436   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151116_163457443.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	94437  
Old 11-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #11

MarsMan

It may be worth a try! A couple pieces of duct tape will tell! I honestly hope you have the same issue. Whenever I got over 60mph and the wind hit the windshield at angles, the noise started! I will update this thread after I find out what the MB dealer does to fix it.