Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2016, 06:16 PM   #1

Question Window slit/holes letting in rain

Hello! I'm the new owner of a 2010 Wildcat 5th wheel, am living in it full-time and learning new things every day. Recently I realized that when it rains, the inside of my windowsill fills up with water coming in through these holes. No wonder my humidity was regularly 65%.

Here are the photos I took of the outside:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/cgn37lkc6...TUCOnKc0hAk3-a

I am told that the holes are meant to let out condensation, but are there covers I can install so that water does not come in when it rains? If no covers, does anyone have advice on a type of tape that I can put outside to reduce the amount of water coming in, or anything else you've done to fix this? Does anyone else have this problem??

Thanks so much.
alex8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
Site Team

You do not want to close those holes. They are there to allow water that gets into the window frame rails to drain out. If you are getting water coming in on the bottom of the windows, you can have a leak anywhere on the frame or the weep holes could be plugged. Try cleaning out the weep holes rather than plugging them.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex8 View Post
Hello! I'm the new owner of a 2010 Wildcat 5th wheel, am living in it full-time and learning new things every day. Recently I realized that when it rains, the inside of my windowsill fills up with water coming in through these holes. No wonder my humidity was regularly 65%.

Here are the photos I took of the outside:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/cgn37lkc6...TUCOnKc0hAk3-a

I am told that the holes are meant to let out condensation, but are there covers I can install so that water does not come in when it rains? If no covers, does anyone have advice on a type of tape that I can put outside to reduce the amount of water coming in, or anything else you've done to fix this? Does anyone else have this problem??

Thanks so much.

I just went out & checked. Mine look exactly like yours so, how much water gets in? Enough to fill the window frame and drip down the inside wall? I've been in some heavy wind driven rains (60 mph) and never noticed enough water that didn't run right back out.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses!

Flybob - the weep holes are definitely open, that's how the water is coming in I won't plug them up, but I'm hoping for some ideas on how to cover them when it rains or at least put something outside that will permanently block rain from blowing in.

Rracer5 - Thank you for checking! I've never noticed it enough that water has leaked down the wall - it seems to just sit inside of the sill and leak out very slowly. So slowly that it barely keeps up with the amount that's coming in. If you haven't experienced this with rain I don't know why they're leaking then because I did spray the water above the window (not directly spraying into the holes) and according to my "eyes" inside the trailer, it leaked inside from the holes. Maybe I need to have her do the spraying and double check that we see the same thing... as soon as this freezing weather goes away.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:52 PM   #5

Are these the vertical opening or horizontal sliding windows? If it's the vertical style, try taping over the slots with electrical tape & spray the windows. If you see water "pouring" into the channel then you have a bad seal somewhere & it's probably not getting in via the slots. And, are you sure the windows are closed down tight & locked into the channel?
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:44 PM   #6
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Pull the inside frame and you'll see how water gets in.....screw that hold frames together was wicking up the water....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex8 View Post
Thanks for the responses!

Flybob - the weep holes are definitely open, that's how the water is coming in I won't plug them up, but I'm hoping for some ideas on how to cover them when it rains or at least put something outside that will permanently block rain from blowing in.

Rracer5 - Thank you for checking! I've never noticed it enough that water has leaked down the wall - it seems to just sit inside of the sill and leak out very slowly. So slowly that it barely keeps up with the amount that's coming in. If you haven't experienced this with rain I don't know why they're leaking then because I did spray the water above the window (not directly spraying into the holes) and according to my "eyes" inside the trailer, it leaked inside from the holes. Maybe I need to have her do the spraying and double check that we see the same thing... as soon as this freezing weather goes away.
If water ponds inside the bottom of the window frame and runs out those little weep holes, its working as intended. If anything you should inspect those holes from time to time to make sure they are wide open.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #8

I had the same problem

I found that my leak, which only occurred during hard directional rain, was caused by a leak where the two panels overlap. It was coming in from the top. I remedied it by installing a wind diverter for a sunroof on a vehicle. One was for a Honda and one for a Jeep. This covered the top area completely and didn't affect the operation or visibility at all. You can order them by width to fit your windows.
Jfoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:05 PM   #9

Thanks everyone. The holes are clean and it is a horizontal window, so I'm still unsure what is causing the problem. I put a piece of tape on the outside to block rain blowing but still allow water to escape, so hopefully this will help the problem. I will check to see if it's where the panels are overlapping, that is good advice.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2016, 02:24 PM   #10

Are the holes at the top or bottom? My understanding is they should be at the bottom. If they're at the top, your window may have been installed upside down.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:10 PM   #11
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
JFoxx--- BRILLIANT idea! Have them on have those wind thingys on our trucks over the window. Will have to look into getting some for our trailer.

How did you attach them? With the install tape that comes with them?

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Are the holes at the top or bottom? My understanding is they should be at the bottom. If they're at the top, your window may have been installed upside down.

Yes they are at the bottom
Old 12-24-2016, 05:51 PM   #13

We would get a lot of water collecting in one of our windows and it was from the way the rubber seal was installed around the glazing. The water would run down into the crack where one end of the seal met the other end in the lower corner. The water would end up in the trough then drain out via the weep holes. After adding some silicone to the area and reseating the seal I haven't had any leakage.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window