Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
Winter Blues

Stuck here in Wisconsin with snow on the ground and a cruel wind blowing.

My wife and dog died and my new gal isn't sold on the camping life. My 5er is a 2015 Rockwood Ultra Lite 8289 and my TV is a 2015 GMC 2500 gasser.

Last year (2017) only had a week of camping.

I still owe about 25k on the rig which I can pay off any time.

So, you may wonder, why am I writing this tale of woe.

I'm wondering (oh and I'm going to be 73 this year) what to do and since my health is pretty good, does it make sense to continue with pulling a trailer or is there a good reason to go with a Class A or C? I'd like to wander all over the country and for some reason I've always admired the ones I've seen in the camp grounds.

Selling what I have and going into something else, I have 200K to work with. Can any of you share your thoughts on this. Is it too late to switch at my age and what would be the best way to go. Thanks.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #2

Wouldn't hurt to move farther south. I camped 100 nights last year. Hang onto the gal, get another dog and have fun. I admire your spirit.

Others will have good and varying advice on the pros and cons of different camper types.

Keep on keeping on.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #3

Go with your heart and start traveling. Enjoy yourself.
merlinhomeauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:35 PM   #4

Spring is coming, hold your horses. Get out and about as soon as the weather permits. After a few trips then consider a new purchase that meets your desires.

There is an old saying, "Think long and think wrong!" If your circumstances permit, make this decision when times are good.

Best wishes on YOUR choice....
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #5

Wisconsin is beautiful. All the lakes and rolling hills. I'll be you have a couple of dozen great spots to camp within 50 miles of your place. If your health is good and you don't mind the set-up why sell the 5er? Then you have the TV to go exploring. But you have to get the new lady friend on board or it's no fun. Good luck
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:09 AM   #6

Problem with a motorhome is your stuck in the campground unless you rent a car everytime you stop. Do you wanna put everything away and disconnect electric and water everytime you wanna go someplace than have to back that rig back in place, level, hookup and get comfortable inside again? If your gonna tow a car why sell the 5er? Just things to think about.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #7
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Travel where you can, while you can and stop thinking so hard or one morning you’ll wake up and find you waited too long....... it’s called paralysis by analysis. Following my DW’s major health episode, we sold the house and hit the road four years ago and followed the sun. We are “well seasoned” citizens and know that in the not too distant future, this lifestyle and our age will no longer be compatible, but until that happens, we’ll be enjoying this RV road trip to the fullest...... Happy trails!!
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #8
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
So sorry for your loss. Remember life to too short NOT to be happy. I am sure your dog and wife would want you to be happy and loved.

If the "new" lady does not like camping (or dogs)....go to the pound and get a dog and dump the NEW lady. I am SURE there are many ladies out there that would love to go camping with you (and will love dogs).

Look into moving south for the winter if you can. Join some of the online blog groups like RVillage and look for people who want to go camping in your area.

Heck... you can plan your own event and put the invite out there for folks to come! Good luck! Love will find you again.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #9

Sounds like you still want to Camp/RV,so Find a Camping women who has a House broken Dog,and get out of Wis.for the Winter! Return to the Nortwoods when weather Improves! Youroo!!
Old 01-20-2018, 01:29 PM   #10

Sorry to hear about your wife and dog. We too live in Wisconsin, and you are close to Illinois, both have great camping and places to explore. A couple years ago we had to give up campground hosting which we had done for years. Although the change was not as severe as loosing a spouse it was a loss in our lives. It also meant a change in our camping style. We began by attending all the RV shows in the area. The best will be in February in Rosemont, The Chicago RV Show. Here you can see a wide range of RV's, talk with the manufactures and sellers. We ended up downsizing to fir our new camping lifestyle.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:36 PM   #11
DW's 401(k) Plan

I, too, am sorry to hear about your wife and dog. Having lost several furkids over the last several years (all rescues and they all took a piece of my heart), I can understand THAT feeling. Have never lost a wife - did separate and divorce from one for awhile, but we are now back together. However....
Having gone from a TT to a Class C, I can tell you there are some big differences. Love the idea I can back into a camp site, hit the BigFoot Levelers and BINGO! I'm done.... if I want to be. I have a Jeep toad, so I can leave the Sunseeker at the camp site and go where I want. The bedroom is better than what we had in our last TT, but the bathroom in a Class C sometimes is really lacking. Also, one thing I never took into consideration was the insurance between a TT and a Motor Home. Remember, with a MH you now have another vehicle......a Big Expensive Vehicle.
There's pro's and con's to everything. Those are what need to be weighed. You're on your own with the female.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #12

Being only 64 not facing that problem yet. I can tell you the experience of my father. He camped until he was 84. Said it just got to be too much work. During his life span he owned 2 travel trailers, 2 fifth wheels and 2 motor homes, one gas and a diesel pusher. Said out of the three types he liked the travel trailers the best and thought they were the easiest. After falling down the stairs in a fifth wheel and breaking his ankle, when he was 78, he wanted everything on one level.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:39 PM   #13

Do what makes you happy! Have you considered renting a MF to see if you would like it? Leave the "new lady" sitting at home once or twice to see if that
will change her attitude.
bmcevers_13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter