Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #1

Winter Blues

We live in S.E.Kentucky and love our life. Retired and love using our Rockwood travel trailer. We tried Florida 1 winter for a while and it was fine, but unless you are regular and rich it is hard to do. So crowded and unavailable places. I know we are not the only ones with that experience, so what are some good alternatives you guys have found for some at least bearable weather January thru February? We consider no distance too great, within reason, from our home base. Availability and reasonable expenses are the key. Not ready to fight for decent spots each year. North Carolina,Texas,New Mexico,or Arizona? Some of you guys are experts at this. We would really appreciate and respect your opinions and experiences.
blucat1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:06 PM   #2

Gulf coast.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #3
Retired

Become a Winter Texan in the Rio Grande Valley you won't regret it. You get a lot more for your $$$$ here in the RGV than you do in FL. Plus the people and businesses in the RGV really appreciate you being here. We've been here 3 months and plan to return. Just my $.02 worth.

Happy Trails
Old 03-16-2019, 01:21 PM   #4

Texas Hill Country. This is our 4th winter in Bandera Texas. The rent at our RV park is only $225/month. It's mostly retired folks and the sites are spaced well apart with plenty of trees and well maintained. Only about 40 miles from San Antonio.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #5
2017 mini lite 2109s

My dad lived in Alabama near Gulf Shores. We enjoyed it there. Lots of RV parks, friendly people and good food.
hjflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjflames View Post
My dad lived in Alabama near Gulf Shores. We enjoyed it there. Lots of RV parks, friendly people and good food.
X2!
Old 03-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #7
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucat1953 View Post
We consider no distance too great, within reason, from our home base.
It's a little farther for SE KY, but check out Quartzite AZ, look it up at CampgroundReviews.com It is not a green golf course camping, but there are thousands of people go there every year from the US and Canada.

We stopped there on our way out west in early December. It is quite a mix of people with either many of the campgrounds, or many boondocking all over the area. If you like warm dry air, neighbors, flea markets, it may be worth looking into.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:46 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a dissenting opinion. The Gulf Coast is frequently cold Dec thru Feb. 50 degrees is not unusual. IMO, you are much better off to head for New Mexico or Arizona. Silver City, Tucson, Phoenix, etc. Much more consistent sun and better temperatures. Yep, it is farther.

And there were tornadoes and flooding in the Gulf States this year with which to deal. We went to the Gulf for several years and got tired of the nasty weather and bad storms.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #9

I have never been to a bad FL State Park... downside is that you have to move to a different park every 14 days.

There are nice parks in north-central (close to I-75) FL and a couple that are further west like Manatee Springs and Ochlocknee (spelling).

I generally try to get a site near the ocean in the panhandle... there are a number of parks to pick from, (Apalachicola to near Destin) however St. Joseph Peninsula S.P. was severally damaged last October and won't be open for quite awhile I believe... the campground is NOW AN ISLAND!

You need to be online 11 months to the day that you want to have a good chance at getting a site near the ocean though. I start looking several days in advance at several parks to see what the availability might be when I WANT TO get there.

The further inland you go in the panhandle the more availability there is. I have been to Falling Waters, Blackwater River and Rocky Bayou State Parks nearer the Alabama border and they all have a certain charm and are all super clean, quiet and nice.

January and February are not as bad as March and April in the panhandle to get a spot. Generally the weather is in the hi-50's to 60's during Jan-Feb, but can get into the low 70's also. I just left that area this month on a day that it hit a low of 41 overnight, so it can get cold also.

Check out ReserveAmerica dot com and reserve those parks NOW for next year, and Good Luck to you!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter