Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
gate

winter camping

was just wondering how many of you do winter camping, how is it trailering a camper when you run into snow? are there many campgrounds open in the winter? do they still offer full service water and sewage. i would love to see some pictures of winter camping, and here some experiences.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL
SPRING HAD BETTER HURRY UP , I'M GOING CRAAAZY !!!
gate33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #2

Unplanned winter camping

We had the pleasure of running through an early blizzard in October pulling our TT with a conversion van on our way to Interlochen this fall. We were busting some drifts but keeping it all going in the right direction. Snow let up by the time we arrived at the campsite. The furnace would not heat but we had the electric space heater that kept us warm enough for the night. When I reset all the breakers in the morning the furnace started working again. It was not cold enough out to freeze the tanks or lines so I was not concerned there. The rest of the weekend was fantastic. I recently traded the van for a F250 PSD FX4. We plan to start our season in March and wrap up by Thanksgiving.
Grand Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:17 PM   #3

Mt. Rushmore KOA in June 1995...

Notice all the available campsites in the background. Upper 30s at night. Had the heatstrip and portable heater going full blast. Warmed up a bit in a few days. Wasn't too bad. Roads were clear, but the snow banks on both sides were over 8' tall!
https://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #4

The best suggestion we got from a sales rep at a camper show was to buy an electric space heater to take the edge off & conserve the propane. We got a small cool-touch Holmes one from WalMart with a fan & that little thing will keep the interior comfortable in a 27' trailer without running full on all the time. We bring the temp up using the furnace and maintain temp using the electric space heater. We set the furnace at about 60 and the interior comes up to near 70 with the little heater. Not a bad deal!
Grand Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote