Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #1

Winter camping condensation? What can I do

Hi friends I am using electric heat and keeping it about 65 inside and have a small medium Eva humidifier going but still about 50 to 55 humidity inside. It is very rainy and damp outside and temps are around 34. I have a 35 ft V-Lite Flagstaff, do I need a bigger De Humidifier?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
fordsuperdutyE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Crack open a powered vent and a window at opposite ends for ventilation.

Get a few bags of damprid

TURBS.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #3

Are the widows sweating? If they are, then yes you need a bigger dehumidifier.When we had the motorhome we camped almost every w/e in michigans up (snowmobileing) for about 10 years. Most dehumidifiers do not work efficently below 50 deg,and not at all below 40 deg.For this application you need a "low temp dehumidifier". They work well down to 35 deg. Google that and a bunch of them will come up. They are a bit more expensive,but so is the interior of your coach when it rots!We had a heated basement and did not use one of the top bunks, so I set it up there,close to the cieling, and ran the drain hose into the heated basement so it couldnt freeze.Even with my wife and the 2 kids in there with all the wet sled cloths,we never got any condinsation. I forget what brand it was but its still in there.The MH has been stitting for 10 yrs or so,but I'd bet the dehumidifyer would crank right up.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #4

I thought so, mine just is not getting it.. Thank you

Old 11-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #5

with winter here, we have been running two radiator oil heaters, no propane except the morning/ after showering, we get a little water on the inside of a few windows, seems as though the showering and the propane makes the air a little more humidity.
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #6

Ya today outside was wet and damp. So that does not help. I purchased a cheap dehumidifier and it just isn't getting it. So I guess I will get something better. We run one small electric heater normally on low and one in the living room on low and also supplement with propane heat if needed.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #7

My wife and I fulltime and we run a Danby premier 40 pint dehumidifier year round that's built for a 2000 square foot house. In the winter time it's still a little tricky to keep the windows from sweating. I've done plenty of experimenting and found that even if you get it down to <30% humidity the windows will still sweat if it's cold enough. Our solution was to put heat shrink plastic on the windows. You can find it for cheap at any home improvement store. I would not recommend the Duck brand from WalMart. Tried it first and it failed within a week.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:45 PM   #8

A bigger Dehumidifier yes I take the one we use in our house and its big enough to take care of the whole house.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #9

With it 65deg in the RV with 30% relative humidity, you'll get condensation on any surface that is below 33deg.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #10
Love My Sunseeker

I have a Class C motorhome. I crack the driving compartment windows on both sides. This helps a bit. I also have a small window in the kitchen area. I leave that one open. It doesn't interfere with heating, and it helps diffuse the humidity.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter