Old 06-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #1
Vik

Winter camping in Windjammer 3001W

Hi there
We purchased our Windjammer 3001W last year, camped all summer and LOVED it!
We have an opportunity to do some winter camping in Northern Alberta this year and wondered if anyone has winter camped in their Windjammer?
If so, what troubles did you come across.
Any information will be helpful.
Thanks!

Old 06-06-2016, 11:55 PM   #2

Congrats on the 3001w, we love ours; bought it new in April 2014 and have about 12,000 miles and about 175 nights total so far in it. We haven't camped in Alberta (yet), but we have camped when the temps were in the low 20's for several days with no real issues. You didn't say, but I am going to ass/u/me that you will be parked with full hookups? Turn on the holding tank heaters of course, buy an heated water supply hose (available from many places) so your city water line will not freeze up, and make sure propane is available nearby! We were burning through both 30# tanks in about 3-1/2 days. What we should have done is take a couple of space heaters with us, one for the living area and one for the bedroom and we could probably have gone for a week before refilling.
Also, as the WJ has single-pane glass (like 99% of all RVs) you get a lot of condensation and moisture on the inside of the windows. We found that if you leave the bedroom A/C unit on (fan only) with the main cabin HVAC unit on heat it keeps the windows clear of moisture. Kind of noisy, but really helped eliminate the excess humidity. You might get the same results with a couple of medium sized oscillating fans running 24/7.
Either way, I am jealous of your trip, you have to post photos when you get back!

D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:58 PM   #3

Quick addendum - do not use the electric space heaters only, you need the trailer furnace running to keep your water lines in the belly from freezing. You could just turn it down to 65 or so and let the space heaters carry some of the ambient load.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

I will tell you, you better go and check under the entertainment unit in the doors where the sub and water filter are as well as any other place where hoses and or wires go through the floor. FR does not believe in spending much time or thought on sealing any of these holes they make in the floor and if you look the belly of your trailer there is a vent in the belly. Air will get blown in via that and up through all the nice big holes in the floor. I can feel all kinds of drafts in our V-Lite (same floor plan as your 3001) We are fair weather only campers so I have never bothered to seal these holes up but some expanding foam spay will do wonders for you.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #5

Hi - Be prepared for the cold. I have lived in Central Alberta (Edmonton) & winter temperatures there can get to -40F or colder & are often below -25F.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maris View Post
Hi - Be prepared for the cold. I have lived in Central Alberta (Edmonton) & winter temperatures there can get to -40F or colder & are often below -25F.
This doesn't sound like TT camping weather! Geez Vik, go someplace warmer not COLDER!
Old 06-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #7

You will not be able to use any water in that unit. I know many who do live in them and they have the cold package plus insulated skirting around the trailer with heaters under the trailer and that's the only way to be able to have water in the tank.
If you want to stay in the trailer then you better have lots and lots of propane and a big ass generator for the heaters you will need just to stay warm.
I have stayed in trailers while hunting North of Grand Prairie in -25C and colder. We were going through a 30lb tank in 24 hours or less plus a 8000 watt generator running the heaters. This was in a 5th wheel that had the arctic package in it. Four days was enough for me.
I don't know of any campground that has water turned on past October up here and before May so you will have to have your own.
It can be done but I wouldn't want to do it in my Windjammer 3008 unless I had to.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
You will not be able to use any water in that unit. I know many who do live in them and they have the cold package plus insulated skirting around the trailer with heaters under the trailer and that's the only way to be able to have water in the tank.
If you want to stay in the trailer then you better have lots and lots of propane and a big ass generator for the heaters you will need just to stay warm.
I have stayed in trailers while hunting North of Grand Prairie in -25C and colder. We were going through a 30lb tank in 24 hours or less plus a 8000 watt generator running the heaters. This was in a 5th wheel that had the arctic package in it. Four days was enough for me.
I don't know of any campground that has water turned on past October up here and before May so you will have to have your own.
It can be done but I wouldn't want to do it in my Windjammer 3008 unless I had to.
Amen!
Old 06-08-2016, 07:12 PM   #9
Vik

Lol... Thank you for all of your comments... The information was very helpful!
What a great community to be able to get this information just by asking... Much appriciated!
Old 06-08-2016, 09:11 PM   #10

Wow Vic

I see that you actually live north of Edmonton. You know how cold it gets. Sounds like real winter camping in a trailer would be pretty tough.

Maris
Lakefield, ON

Tags
3001w, camping, windjammer, winter