Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #1

Winter camping? What are your limits?

We have done a few late fall trips usually less then a hundred miles from home.

Don't obviously like to tow in any icy conditions but I think there is still fun to be had.

Just curious what you guys feel is too much? Rain, snow, sleet, cold sun?

Personally I don't mind it down in to the 30s so long as it's not wet.
2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #2

We don't really care what the weather is as long as I feel we can travel the roads safely. We will hit the ski slopes in the witnter but usually tow our Jeep Liberty behind our rig and camp away from the mountain. If weather is extreme in either direction (really hot or really cold) then we insist on having hookups so that we have power. Living here in the northwest if you aren't going to do something because it's wet then you're going to stay home a lot. We are used to it but do find ourselves seeking the sun more and more as we get older. Some of our most favorite trips are to the Oregon coast during the stormy seasons to watch the storms come in and see the big surf on the beach. We don't care much as long as we are out there.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #3

Hey NWJ,

Been living on the South Hill for about 30 years now. I hear ya about living in the northwest and wet. It is what it is and I don't mind a little bit. I would be frustrated to roll out for a weekend and have it rain the whole entire time though.

The coast is good although I prety much go to the coast to run my gas RC stuff on the beach and that is no fun when driving rain storms roll through.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #4

Mr. Black,

For some reason your location didn't show while I was using the computer at work. Did you get your rig at South Hill RV? There aren't too many FR dealers up here. Our friends also live on South Hill and got their 5er at SHRV, store it there too. You know all about the wet then and I'm with ya, don't like to spend a whole week in the rain which is why we usually plan our trips for September just after the kids go back to school and the CGs are empty. Just got back from eastern WA after 2 weeks of bass fishing and visiting with friends. Have done several elk camps in freezeing temps down at Mt Adams in the past with our old rig but always had to have the generator running full time just to keep things warm. For winter time camping our favorite trip is down to Manzanita OR to the Nehalem Bay State Park. Great park if you've never been, right on the beach and as long as there is no wind or rain I can take my RC planes over to the state airport right there and fly off of a real paved runway, never many real planes coming and going from there anyway. Long and short of it is winter camping is great but really need hookups to keep the heat going...
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #5

Yeah, This is our second rig from SHRV in 5 years. They have always treated us well.

I have heard of Manzanita before. Might have to look into it for sure.