Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #1

Winter Care?

It's official.... camping season is over for us. BUT I have made reservations for Memorial Weekend 2012. We'll more than likely go somewhere before then but those dates are INKED in.

So now what? The MH is in it's garage here on our farm so we can visit it everyday if we want. It's winterized which was fairly easy once we figured out the hoses.... NO pictures, directions, hints to be found anywhere in the literature, btw. All food & liquid beverages have been removed.

Right now the slides are out and jacks down but I don't think we want to store it like that all winter do we? I imagine it's not good to operate jacks or slides when it's been really cold because of the hydraulic fluid but during warmish stretches, would it be good to exercise them?

We winterized with the pink stuff and it's in all lines (by passing the HWH). Do we want to leave the taps open? I've got the water pump off but there is enough pressure to force the antifreeze out of the lines if the taps are open. Open and let it run out or keep them closed so it stays in?

Should the batteries be on a trickle charger, taken out & moved into a warmer environment or just disconnected?

The tires are on gravel right now. Should they be on boards or rubber mats instead? Seems like I've read conflicting advice on that.

Would it help to pull it out of the garage occasionally and let it sit for a few hours with a different part of the tire on the ground?

Any other tips for winter care? (I'm looking for excuses to visit. ) Actually, I will probably go into it a couple of times a week (like I do anyway) just to make sure we don't have mice or other vermin moving in. Once the crops around the house are harvested, we get an influx of displaced mice looking for comfy digs for the winter.

We're in southern Indiana so our weather fluxuates a lot. We can go from subzero to 50s & 60s in just a few days (or hours).

Advice from the experts appreciated!

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote