Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #1

Winter Cover Opinions Wanted

Hi all,
I live in northern Maine (not northern to Mainers- but north to everyone else) and have decided my best option this winter is a cover. I am asking for opinions, including a why, on what the best covers are for our climate. We regularly get northern Maine weather- ice, snow, wind, sleet, the works!

Someday I hope to build a shelter, but for this year it will be a custom cover.

So, what are the best covers out there???

Days Traveled:2021-51 / 2020-43 / 2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

My RV dealer doesn't even sell covers because he says they can do more harm than good by flapping in the wind and one little rip will just spread all across and then you're out a few hundred bucks.

I just keep an eye on the camper during the winter and cover the A/C on the roof with a cover and also the tires. Oh, I also strap a Home Depot bucket over the hitch controller since it has the electric motor in there. I used to disconnect all of the batteries but the camper has a master cut-off switch inside and sometimes in the winter we'll need the power for lights so we can clean up or vacuum.

We're originally from Maine...High School sweethearts...she's from Sterns High in Millinocket and I'm from Schenck High in East Millinocket. (My Auntie lives up in Sinclair, we were just up there last year) And GO Boston Red Sox!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
Kasual Kamper

There are a number of threads on this topic already if you do a search. The consensus is to buy quality, get something that fits your particular unit without a lot of flapping, and get one that has vents that allow the unit to breathe and not build up condensation.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
There are a number of threads on this topic already if you do a search. The consensus is to buy quality, get something that fits your particular unit without a lot of flapping, and get one that has vents that allow the unit to breathe and not build up condensation.
Thanks... I did do a search but many seemed to be several years old, so I thought I would ask current opinions

Old 09-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralMePistol View Post
Thanks... I did do a search but many seemed to be several years old, so I thought I would ask current opinions
This one is only 2 weeks old:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-168697.html
Old 09-05-2018, 12:48 PM   #6

Hey CMP:

I've got a cover on our 2017 TT which we bought last year. It's an Adco from Amazon at 200 bucks.

Does a great job of blocking the UV damage which causes fading of the fiberglass and paint.

It has breathable vents on it so it releases condensation and is water repelle nt .

What you have to do once you get it on there is look. For the sharp edges that will protrude thru the cover from those brutal Maine winds. I put on Etarnabond tape under the cover where those pressure points are . Also I cover the drip funnels at the end of the gutters with tennis balls and have had good luck with that.

Make sure you get one that has a zipper door so you can check the unit once in a while for mice .

Make sure you don't use one of those El cheapo blue tarps. They will cause mold and mildew underneath and defeat the purpose

Hope this helps,Teamgreen
Teamgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamgreen View Post
Hey CMP:

I've got a cover on our 2017 TT which we bought last year. It's an Adco from Amazon at 200 bucks.

Does a great job of blocking the UV damage which causes fading of the fiberglass and paint.

It has breathable vents on it so it releases condensation and is water repelle nt .

What you have to do once you get it on there is look. For the sharp edges that will protrude thru the cover from those brutal Maine winds. I put on Etarnabond tape under the cover where those pressure points are . Also I cover the drip funnels at the end of the gutters with tennis balls and have had good luck with that.

Make sure you get one that has a zipper door so you can check the unit once in a while for mice .

Make sure you don't use one of those El cheapo blue tarps. They will cause mold and mildew underneath and defeat the purpose

Thanks!
Which Adco did you use? I am tossing around between the storage lot (no zipper) and the All weather (zipper). I would prefer the zipper but the reviews on amazon show that one tearing a LOT. Only 8 reviews on the storage lot but all were excellent- minus one person who ordered the wrong size then complained about the fit.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #8

I purchased the all weather one. Rememeber it will rip if there is a sharp edge under the cover so address that issue and you should be able to respond to about 95% of the negative reviews......
Teamgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:23 PM   #9
Insert witty title here

Elements cover from Camping World. They're breathable, have zip panels that will allow camper access and they offer 3 year replacement insurance. It's an additional fee but if it fails for any reason within 3 years, they will replace it, no questions asked.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Elements cover from Camping World. They're breathable, have zip panels that will allow camper access and they offer 3 year replacement insurance. It's an additional fee but if it fails for any reason within 3 years, they will replace it, no questions asked.
x2

This will be my 4th winter with the same Elements cover and it has held up well.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:54 PM   #11

I bought an Addco designer series to protect from the Fl sun, on 3 months and off 2 weeks lasted 3 uses and fell apart. then I saw the Elements premium that I found attractive because it's weight was 26 lbs. Upon the second removal it totally started to tear like paper. Four hundred bucks plus $125 for a 3 year extended down the toilet. They sent me a brand new one, but I'm done with covers, so anyone interested in a brand new in the box sealed Elements premium cover for a 25 footer for a good deal get in touch.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #12
Kasual Kamper

Yeah, I'm getting the sense that covers are good for protecting from the winter elements in northern climates, but not so good for sun protection in warm climes.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:07 PM   #13

re

You got that right brother. From now on I'll take it out of storage every month and take it home and give it a quick wash down with Thetford wash and wax.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:16 AM   #14

ADCO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamgreen View Post
Hey CMP:

X2 for Team’s suggestion...just Google Adco and get their mid-to-best cover. The underbelly and front/back straps do a GREAT job to prevent flapping! Have been using mine for 3 yrs running in SW OHIO and no rips,chafing, etc. I DO use duct tape the top and bottom corners, tv antenna and roller ends of the slide out and awning...all with cut pieces of pipe insulation bought from Lowes($3-?) and has worked very well. Plus you have zippers(very important) to gain access to the coach and cab of my 24S. Biggest problem is where to store it during camping season-big bundle after put in container and usually keep in cargo area of the Avalanche... insure you blow it off and fold correctly before storing! Done!
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #15

re

And put tennis balls [bought cheaply at WM, 3 for $1.57] on the corner drains those little padded thingys they give will go right through in the wind
Old 09-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #16

Thanks All!
I decided on the Adco All Climate cover from Amazon. I looked into the Elements from Camping World but the replacement plan was nearly the cost of the cover- I'm guessing they assume you will replace it.

I'll plan to work hard to cover sharp edges when putting the cover on- fingers crossed!

Old 09-07-2018, 11:58 AM   #17

I live in Michigan and have had my Adco all weather since 2012 and it is still in pretty good shape. Just had to repair a couple of small holes with the repair material they give you with the cover. Just make sure to use tennis balls on the drain spouts
harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, winter