Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2015, 03:58 PM   #1

Winter Damage

OH NO BOO HOO! Cold weather damage to my Silverback. I guess the expansion and contraction of the metal in the bedroom slideout was just too much for the little piece of plastic trim. I am surprised at how large the gap in the plastic is. I guess I’ll be going to the Goshen rally to have it fixed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1077.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	68509

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #2
Campfire Master

It almost looks like the bottom rail has moved down, causing the trim to split. Probably just the freeze, thaw thing, but worthwhile to check out.

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
OH NO BOO HOO! Cold weather damage to my Silverback. I guess the expansion and contraction of the metal in the bedroom slideout was just too much for the little piece of plastic trim. I am surprised at how large the gap in the plastic is. I guess I’ll be going to the Goshen rally to have it fixed.

Attachment 68509
Bob I don't think that's from freeze/thaw, it's a piece of plastic which I believe wasn't drilled right or perhaps not drilled at all but installed at the factory using the screw as the drill. It appears to me as a stress crack because it is right at the screw hole as is the crack at the screw above. Also the screw may have been driven down too tightly initially? You see a lot of these type of cracks at the screw holes on the wheel well covers on many older trailers. Good luck with the repair.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Bob I don't think that's from freeze/thaw, it's a piece of plastic which I believe wasn't drilled right or perhaps not drilled at all but installed at the factory using the screw as the drill. It appears to me as a stress crack because it is right at the screw hole as is the crack at the screw above. Also the screw may have been driven down too tightly initially? You see a lot of these type of cracks at the screw holes on the wheel well covers on many older trailers. Good luck with the repair.
I think you're right. The screws were driven down too tightly but I didn't think this would happen though. Fortunately the piece is just cosmetic so I'll wait til Goshen to have it fixed.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:34 AM   #5

Hi Oakman. The problem is that you might lose that corner trim piece or a chunk of it traveling down the road. I'd snap a pic, send it to FR and see if they'll 'good will' you another. If they didn't, the cost is prolly minimal. This way you won't have to go all summer with that fugly corner trim.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #6

Last winter my linoleum floor split from the cold looked like they had it in so tight that the cold split it from one corner to another in our bathroom. It sucks but only thing you can do is replace it.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Last winter my linoleum floor split from the cold looked like they had it in so tight that the cold split it from one corner to another in our bathroom. It sucks but only thing you can do is replace it.
Did you leave the 4 corner jacks down? Last year several TT in the CG had damaged flooring and all left the support jacks down. I always have mine up during the winter. This allows the trailer to flex when the frost heaves.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Did you leave the 4 corner jacks down? Last year several TT in the CG had damaged flooring and all left the support jacks down. I always have mine up during the winter. This allows the trailer to flex when the frost heaves.
===================

First thought that came to my mind is what about al those seasonal trailers that are permanently left on RV sites all year long? There's thousands of them out there. The stabilizers are mounted to the frame not the side walls. Just a thought.
BTW, since there's two cracks at the screw heads they probably tightened them too much originally. Nothing major.....
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper

===================

First thought that came to my mind is what about al those seasonal trailers that are permanently left on RV sites all year long? There's thousands of them out there. The stabilizers are mounted to the frame not the side walls. Just a thought.
BTW, since there's two cracks at the screw heads they probably tightened them too much originally. Nothing major.....
My comments where about the flooring splitting not the plastic trim.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
I've always left them down very windy here , a friend had theirs up and their trailer flipped on its side. Guess I will take the split over the flip.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #11

Cannot see how having jacks down would stop a trailer from flipping. They are in line with the tires. I could see if they were like out riggers and went past the side of the trailer to stop it from flipping. A trailer at the CG moved sideways this winter because of the wind. The owner had his jacks down and all 4 jacks are now damaged. My trailer is right beside his and mine did not move. I have my jacks up. I believe the difference is that I have about 2 feet of clearance under my trailer and his has over 3 feet. The lower center of gravity probably helped.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #12

It slows the amount of bounce that the wind causes making the trailer more grounded. Lower center of gravity does also help. Parking it so the main wind direction hits the nose also helps. New stabilizers are cheap compared to new trailer.

Tags
winter