Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #1

Winter heat use and vents

I plan to cover my TT and wondering if it is a good idea to keep a space heater on low? Is this safe?

I have read that you should vent the TT is it a good idea to keep roof vent cracked?

2009 F150 SCREW4x4 Prodigy P3 and tow package Valley WDH and dual anti sway
2006 Party Barge 21 90 Merc Optimax
2011 RockWood 2702 SS arrived 11.10.2010
nights camped 2010 6
threegr8katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would never use any heat in a covered trailer!!!!. That is my opinion. Heat will make something sweat, whether it's inside the trailer, or inside the cover. I don't see how opening a vent will help as you will just trap the heat under the cover. Also the weight of the cover on the plastic, partially open, roof vent can't be good.

These are my thoughts and I have an engineering mind. I have no personal experience with a cover. I just antifreeze my water system and charge the battery once per month. Hope others chime in with their recommendations.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #3

I'm interested in what folks think along these lines as well. I have one of those oil filled radiator heaters in the motorhome. The vents are closed (well there is a couple feet of snow on the roof). It's minus 19 degrees right now.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Villa Estate 392FLFB

if its winterized it should be okay cold. the heater would be a waste of power and money
Old 11-21-2010, 11:15 PM   #5

Smile

The heat will make the windows sweat and cause mildew. Use antifreeze and leave the battery plugged into power if you like for the battery, or take the battery out and set it on wood, not concrete in a warm place. it'll be fine and need a charge in the spring.
The trailer will be fine if winterized, lots of snow on top I can't say anything about that. Not sure if people shovel it off or not, probably not I'd guess. What about it snow people in the North West country?

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #6

I always left my roof vents open. They had vent covers. TT was always dry and fresh smelling in the spring. Winter air is dry, heat is not required IMHO.

Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:21 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

2Susan,

As I read the first post, I saw this: "I plan to cover my TT ". I'm assuming they want to use one of those canvas type covers and then also use a heater. If I assume wrongly, then I am sorry. As for a leaving a little heat in an "uncovered" camper, that would be different. And at a temp of -19, (Fahrenheit I hope), a little heat would be good, and I wouldn't worry about opening a vent or window. Again this is only my opinion. I do not live where it gets that cold. We see the teens on occasion, and rarely single digit. most winter days get above freezing for at least a few hours.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #8

I honestly don't have that problem here in Florida, but I have read posts on here where some northern neighbors, and Canadian posters have experienced their floors actually buckling from the extreme cold temps they have...I believe I would run a small space heater of some type during those really cold times, but turn it off when it isn't too bad out. That's my 2 cents worth. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #9

Someone wanted an opinion from someone in the Northwest...will Montana due? I use anti-freeze, pull the batteries and put on the work bench, charge them once every few months, and put a cover on the trailer (not a tarp, a breathing type trailer cover). I don't leave any vents or windows open...just a good way to have them broken by wind or snow. If you read around enough you'll hear a lot of talk about sealing up trailers to get rid of the air leaks...I've done a lot of this...and trust me you'll never get them all. So as far as venting goes...they come "factory vented"...I wouldn't worry. I wouldn't put a heater in there unless you were just trying to stretch out the season a little longer before winterizing...I do that occasionaly before hunting season with a little electric heater on it's lowest setting and the cupboards open to keep pipes from freezing until I use it at camp. But after that it's winterize as described and be done with it. Hope this helps.

Jeff

froale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #10

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by froale View Post
Someone wanted an opinion from someone in the Northwest...will Montana due? I use anti-freeze, pull the batteries and put on the work bench, charge them once every few months, and put a cover on the trailer (not a tarp, a breathing type trailer cover). I don't leave any vents or windows open...just a good way to have them broken by wind or snow. If you read around enough you'll hear a lot of talk about sealing up trailers to get rid of the air leaks...I've done a lot of this...and trust me you'll never get them all. So as far as venting goes...they come "factory vented"...I wouldn't worry. I wouldn't put a heater in there unless you were just trying to stretch out the season a little longer before winterizing...I do that occasionaly before hunting season with a little electric heater on it's lowest setting and the cupboards open to keep pipes from freezing until I use it at camp. But after that it's winterize as described and be done with it. Hope this helps.

Jeff
Ya Jeff that's far enough North. If everyone did what I do for the winter months, there's be no problem. Head S/W and leave this cold crap behind. There are many many Canandians who are in Texas and AZ during the winter. I surely see why. Don't think I'd want to be up there ether.
Those who do need to be commended. Ha, Montana too!!!

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote