Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #1
Retired

Winter Storage away from home

Well...we had a "killing" frost this morning and unfortunately we begin our day with the discussion of beginning the process if winterizing our Windjammer for the first time. Our yard is too small to keep the TT at home so we are bringing it to the dealer for winter storage. I am more concerned with what to leave with the TT than the winterizing process...all food, clothing, etc will be removed but what about the LP tanks, battery, spare tire, etc. I'm I being to paranoid

Thanks for the inputs.

Happy Trails to all you snow birds
Old 10-15-2015, 10:10 AM   #2
Always Learning

IMO, go drive the dealer's lot and see what others are doing. You'll get many varied answers and it really comes down to "it depends". It depends on the area and the likelihood of theft or vandalism.

I always stored my camper at a storage lot (not enough room + HOA restrictions) and never removed anything. In fact, most of the campers there didn't lock the tongue/hitch or anything.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #3

Make sure your RV is covered Ins,wise OFF Site! Most Dealers/Storage areas Dont Cover LOSS/Damage! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:14 AM   #4
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Other than taking everything edible, chewable, or rottable out of the camper (which you're already doing) the only thing I would consider is disconnecting the battery and bringing it indoors (I do this with my motorcycle for winter storage). Makes it last longer and you can put it on a trickle charger in March to get ready for the season.
LP tanks will be OK.
If you're worried about theft and damage, find out what the dealer's insurance policy covers on units stored or if your policy would be in effect.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:34 PM   #5

What To Leave Over Winter

The LP tanks can stay but definitely bring the battery in. If it goes dead over the winter, it stands a ggod chance of freezing and cracking, then you have sulphuric acid all over the place. I wouldn't leave it on charge in the house, even a trickle charge. I've seen many a battery go dry from overcharging. Just let it sit and connect it up every month for a few hours, just to keep it happy.
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussPastuch View Post
I wouldn't leave it on charge in the house, even a trickle charge. I've seen many a battery go dry from overcharging. Just let it sit and connect it up every month for a few hours, just to keep it happy.
Agreed. I don't put mine on until about a month before I plan to reinstall it.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 10-15-2015, 07:58 PM   #7

We always leave everything in the trailer except food and liquids.
I trust our storage lots very much. We were away camping the first week,of October and received a call from the lot. They had a security breach and called to make sure our trailer was ok as it was not in the lot. That is great customer service in my books.
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:29 PM   #8

Does anybody cover their rig for the winter? My first year I stored my FW indoors. This year I am leaving it at a seasonal campground for the winter. Should I cover it?
Old 10-16-2015, 07:43 AM   #9

I'd say go with your instincts. PLAY IT SAFE!

I will take my battery off and put it on trickle charger in the heated garage for with winter season and I'll my water level 2 x a year (once for winter and again in spring filling with distilled water as necessary) . All food items will be removed and the I thoroughly clean my unit. Obviously, I run RV antifreeze through the water lines and pour some down each drain. I place spacer in the refridge/freezer doors so it wont be shut up all winter. Where I store mine is inside a locked building so I leave propane tanks and spare tire intact. With everything is locked up tight.
My friend if your questioning it then I would go with your gut instinct. Removing the spare and propane tanks might be thought of as being paranoid but if your at all questioning I'd take them off.
We obviously live in a very different world today than even a few years ago unfortunately.
I hope this helps you in your decision making process.
chipmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:13 AM   #10
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post
Does anybody cover their rig for the winter? My first year I stored my FW indoors. This year I am leaving it at a seasonal campground for the winter. Should I cover it?
Yes we cover ours. We too leave it in a seasonal campground.
I believe it helps keep the roof and walls protected from UV, ice & snow buildup, and debris. Use a high quality RV cover that's vented, "blue taprs" are cheap and not breathable.
When you figure the cost of your RV, the $500 or so for a good cover is a cheap garage.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 10-16-2015, 08:26 AM   #11

Let the snow fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
Well...we had a "killing" frost this morning and unfortunately we begin our day with the discussion of beginning the process if winterizing our Windjammer for the first time. Our yard is too small to keep the TT at home so we are bringing it to the dealer for winter storage. I am more concerned with what to leave with the TT than the winterizing process...all food, clothing, etc will be removed but what about the LP tanks, battery, spare tire, etc. I'm I being to paranoid

Thanks for the inputs.

Happy Trails to all you snow birds
Yes it is that time of year again (damn it) but i would slow your roll a bit. i have always left all my clothes in the coach (never have had an issue) yes all food needs to be removed (do not feed and critters) but for the LP tanks and anything else you are thinking about "just leave it" unless to dealer lot you are bringing it too has had some theft issues, just leave it all there till spring.
Good luck and Happy camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, winter