Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
Ham Radio since 1970

Winter storage location ideas

Hi all. After the winter we had in Northern Indiana last year, my wife and I have decided to head south for a couple of months. The way last winter went, we are concerned about being able to leave town, so we were thinking of storing our 5th wheel farther south. Our thinking is that it would be easier to get of town with just the truck as opposed to trying to pull the RV. Does anyone have any recommendations for where to store our RV? I am not really excited about storing it at a public storage place. I would prefer to store it at an RV park that offers storage. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Nights camped '14: 51 '15: 134 '16: 149 '17: 171

N9ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #2

Almost anywhere in FL would be good. Lots of parks offer storage options plus - no eff'n snow!
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
NewBee

Send a message via Skype™ to TheRamaraos
Storage Ideas

This is my first post and question - in search of the collective wisdom on this forum. We will be getting our RV in Feb - we intend to travel 4 months a year - and store the RV someplace 8 months a year.

Looking at covered or garaged options in the DFW area. Is there a preference?

What do we need to do besides ensure the tanks are flushed and cleaned, no food left behind, etc.?

Since both options offer electricity - 30amp, we can theoretically leave the battery to charge and run the fridge and the heat pads in the underbelly - or can we - and should we?

Since we want to have the RV close by - as we may take trips on the whim - if the garage option is chosen with 50AMP plug, can we get by without winterizing and how?

Regarding critters - there appears to be a menace, so traps appear to be a must, we can consider these around the legs on the outside and on the floors inside - or are there other methods?

Want to hang a mirror on the bathroom wall - a makeup one - please give me advise on do's and don'ts.

Thanks
2015 Chevy 3500HD SRW Duramax with Alison
TheRamaraos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:39 PM   #4

Please be careful as to where you store your travel trailer or fifth wheel. Our 2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 305RKDS travel trailer, which we bought last December 2013, was stolen on November 11 from the truck parking lot in an area owned by the company my husband works for. We had a hitch ball lock in place, but that didn't deter the thief. I was so devastated as our personal belongings were in it, and a few of them are non-replaceable. A week later our trailer was found 20 miles out in the country hidden behind a barn! We got it back, as well as our personal belongings; however, we had several items missing. The thief and a boy were living in our TT for a week and messed it up. They slept on our bed, used our bathroom, ate our food, watched our TV, etc. They were practically into every nook and cranny of our trailer, violating our personal space and privacy. Our TT was no longer our "home sweet home." Last Saturday, we traded this trailer for a new 2015 Heritage Glen 302FK.

When our trailer was found and brought home, I immediately bought a padlock for the coupler latch, another hitch ball lock, and a tire boot lock (the store had only one left, we plan to get another one). When we bring our new TT home, we will definitely lock it up. I am now waiting to hear from our insurance agent as to whether we should add a GPS tracking device. The thieves are definitely pros as they will steal within minutes.

I learned during this experience that stealing travel or fifth wheel trailers is the norm. Thieves want them as meth labs, live in them during hunting or fishing seasons, or free housing.
OBX Forever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, location, storage, winter