Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I bought my winter weather insurance policy on Monday. The 1st premium (and hopefully only one) was high. If I don't ever get to use this, that is fine. But if it snows, I think I am ready.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1431.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	3955

After thinking that a snowblower was a bit of overkill for this area, last winter convinced me that is not the case. 3 snowfalls with about 20" each was a killer on my back.

When Wade started this thread, it inspired me to get my butt in gear and start looking. I almost waited to long. After checking out a bunch of dealers, and calling many more, the pickings were slim. 1 dealer told me that they have to place their order in April for the following winter, with June being the final production for fall shipping. 1 dealer I spoke to had already sold 50 units this fall, and another dealer had moved 30 units. I settled on an Ariens after all of my research.

The color clashes with my John Deere lawn tractor and my maroon truck, but it compliments my Stihl equipment.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I bought my winter weather insurance policy on Monday. The 1st premium (and hopefully only one) was high. If I don't ever get to use this, that is fine. But if it snows, I think I am ready.

Attachment 3955

After thinking that a snowblower was a bit of overkill for this area, last winter convinced me that is not the case. 3 snowfalls with about 20" each was a killer on my back.

When Wade started this thread, it inspired me to get my butt in gear and start looking. I almost waited to long. After checking out a bunch of dealers, and calling many more, the pickings were slim. 1 dealer told me that they have to place their order in April for the following winter, with June being the final production for fall shipping. 1 dealer I spoke to had already sold 50 units this fall, and another dealer had moved 30 units. I settled on an Ariens after all of my research.

The color clashes with my John Deere lawn tractor and my maroon truck, but it compliments my Stihl equipment.
So what color is your snow shovel, i just thought i would ask because you forgot the old back breaker as part of your equipment that inspired the snow blower idea green, yellow, maroon?
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
So what color is your snow shovel, i just thought i would ask because you forgot the old back breaker as part of your equipment that inspired the snow blower idea green, yellow, maroon?
The snowblower does not match my snow shovel either.....that has an aluminum blade, a wood handle, with a red grip.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #24
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Of course here in Buffalo it rarely snows. Occassionally we'll have a few feet of flurries, but nothing real significant.

We did get about 10" last night, but that's really not a big deal. We have a 150' long driveway so we use a 25 horse John Deere tractor with a 48" blower. It does well other than the first snowfall of the year when it is more slush than snow.

And for those of you in the South than like to pick on us about our snow....well I know I can take care of the snow, but I also know I can't take care of a hurricane. Snow is only an inconvenience.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Of course here in Buffalo it rarely snows. Occassionally we'll have a few feet of flurries, but nothing real significant.

We did get about 10" last night, but that's really not a big deal. We have a 150' long driveway so we use a 25 horse John Deere tractor with a 48" blower. It does well other than the first snowfall of the year when it is more slush than snow.

And for those of you in the South than like to pick on us about our snow....well I know I can take care of the snow, but I also know I can't take care of a hurricane. Snow is only an inconvenience.
wnytaxman, those lake effect snow that y'all get can be brutal. Looks like the average for y'all is about 60" per year. We got a total of 58" here last year, but that is way above our average. We are not hoping for a repeat.

I too have a 150' driveway, so the snowblower that I bought is probably not overkill. But I might only have to use it a time or 2 a season, compared to your numerous times.

Good Luck Up There. And that goes to all of our northern states members, and to our Canadian friends !!!

Old 12-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #26
Villa Estate 392FLFB

Quote:
I don't know about sand, but you can use them on leaves.
they also work for moving slush and water lol. back in the day i remember dad using the snowblower to move water across the alley!

Old 12-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #27
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
wnytaxman, those lake effect snow that y'all get can be brutal. Looks like the average for y'all is about 60" per year. We got a total of 58" here last year, but that is way above our average. We are not hoping for a repeat.

I too have a 150' driveway, so the snowblower that I bought is probably not overkill. But I might only have to use it a time or 2 a season, compared to your numerous times.

Good Luck Up There. And that goes to all of our northern states members, and to our Canadian friends !!!
I can't imagine your area getting hit with almost 60" of snow because you folks don't seem to have the equipment to handle that type of snowfall. We are in what is called the snow belt south of Buffalo so we get about 120" of snow a year. The surprising part about it is that we have not lost a day of work due to weather in over 15 years. Today I do have two of my people who didn't make it in, but they both are stuck in their driveways. When my son was playing travel hockey he was recruited by a team in Marquette, MI in the UP. That's the place that really gets the snowfall. I believe that their snow totals are substantially more than ours.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I can't imagine your area getting hit with almost 60" of snow because you folks don't seem to have the equipment to handle that type of snowfall.
You got that right !!

Quote:
We are in what is called the snow belt south of Buffalo so we get about 120" of snow a year.
Looks like y'all are getting hammered in that area right now.

Good Luck and Stay Safe.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #29

old gas

If you do forget to drain gas or your engine won't start there is a product called mechanic in a bottle. Pour the correct amount in your tank and crank it over a couple of times and let it set a couple hours and it cleans the carb. works great. Available at the home depot.
bill and theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Thanks for the tip Bill. I will be buying a bottle in case I have a problem with the gas generator.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #31

anytime Herk, by the way ,I am a commercial instrument rated private pilot. Been flying since 1970 but am getting pretty old and don't fly as much as I would like.
bill and theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Well stay current or you might not get much older! I retired after 33 years of flying and have not flown since. I do have a friend with a private plane (a former student of mine) and he keeps bugging to go with him.

Only one motor though, and I have a rule about that. Two minimum and four is better.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #33
Wanna Be Camper

We're ready for snow up here in good old Saskatchewan. We never do things small on the praries.

I wish it was mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT00003.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	3969   Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT00004.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	3970   Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT00008.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	3971   Click image for larger version

Name:	case snowblower.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	3972  

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #34

I feel your pain!
It got down into the 40's here last night and we had to turn the heat on.
Couldn't wait for the sun to come back up and thaw me out
peskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #35
Villa Estate 392FLFB

wow now that's a snowblower!!!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:44 AM   #36

Ok, had to go to Lowe's yesterday to get a new water heater for the house, second one in 10 days anyway when i came out of Lowe's with the new water hearter there where 4 different pick-up trucks in the loading zone and all of them just bought new snowblowers.

Once i got home with the water hearter and unloaded it it started to snow, but it lasted about 10 minutes.

Before i left with the water heater i checked the price of a Troy-Build snowblower that was like the Craftsman that i bought from Sears, the Troy-build was $100.00 more then the Craftsman, the only difference between the two that i coulld see besides the color was that the Craftsman had a bigger head light.......So it looks like people are buying snowblowers early, the word is out.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote