Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #1

Winterising Question.

In two weeks we are storing our 5er for 5 months in BC where it is cold and damp. Not undercover. We will be in Portugal so will not be able to check on it. I have enough antifreeze and rat poison to concern the local health and safety authority but thats not the issue, its the damp I am worried about, I don't want to return to mould growing on everything.

ALL suggestions, tips, tricks will be greatly appreciated.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #2

I've heard cardboard boxes for humidity control. Myth, Legend, not sure but I was told by a friend it works.
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
Anacortesians

Maybe electric dehumidifers with their drains routed outside would solve your problem. They're readily available and power consumtion isn't extravagant.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

my mother in law found these bags called damp rid to absorb moisture and they work great !
you can find info here .
Moisture Control, Odor Control & Healthier Indoor Air | DampRid

and they look like this

Name:   damprid.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  6.5 KB

they also have humidity bags and mold and mildew bags these things are awesome !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #5

I use two of these, eva-dry E500.

EVA-DRY.COM | Solve Moisture Dampness Problems

Got them at walmart, they work great never had a problem, and they can be reused every year.
georgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown View Post
I use two of these, eva-dry E500.

EVA-DRY.COM | Solve Moisture Dampness Problems

Got them at walmart, they work great never had a problem, and they can be reused every year.

They last 30-60 days then they have to go through the heat treatment and unfortunately we will not be there to do that, but they look and sound as they would do the job for sure. Perhaps I can pursuade the storage people to do it if I cross their palms with silver, trouble is would the be reliable.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Old 10-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #7

I have also found DampRid at wal mart. It comes in a plastic gallon size bucket. They'll last the winter and then some. I put two in my trailer and they seem to do the job for me, but then again my situation is different than yours.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:21 AM   #8

Mold will grow in warm, dark and damp or high humid areas. When i had my camper i would keep the shades close on the sunny side of the camper to keep it from heating up and open the shades on the unexposed side, i never heated the camper in the winter and open a roof vent just a little to keep air movement present.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #9

Good question Nigels. I'm closing my trailer this weekend, and was wondering the same thing. I'm north of Toronto.
camper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
I've heard cardboard boxes for humidity control. Myth, Legend, not sure but I was told by a friend it works.

Not sure about this remedy. What happens when the cardboard gets wet.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
(Kim)

Our storage facility recommended using a crystal product, like DampRid also.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #12

Can you leave the roof vents open? Damp rid will help but will have to be replaced sometime over the winter.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #13

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
my mother in law found these bags called damp rid to absorb moisture and they work great !
you can find info here .
Moisture Control, Odor Control & Healthier Indoor Air | DampRid

and they look like this
Attachment 8362

they also have humidity bags and mold and mildew bags these things are awesome !
Hey Nigel, we were hoping to see you and Bev in AZ this winter, maybe next winter huh? These bags work great, I'd hang one in each room and they should do the trick. As far as I know the crystal that do the work won't freeze. Have a great time while home in Portugal and hope to see you someplace next Spring.
One more thing, leave all the cabnets open and fridge too. Safe travels to you and Bev.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsthetwoofus View Post
Hey Nigel, we were hoping to see you and Bev in AZ this winter, maybe next winter huh? These bags work great, I'd hang one in each room and they should do the trick. As far as I know the crystal that do the work won't freeze. Have a great time while home in Portugal and hope to see you someplace next Spring.
One more thing, leave all the cabnets open and fridge too. Safe travels to you and Bev.
Hi George and Peggy, We have changed our plans a bit. We decided to move over here full time, summer in BC at our house and winter in AZ in the RV starting spring 2012, so we will see you in AZ. Bev will email Peggy with what we are up to.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #15

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels View Post
Hi George and Peggy, We have changed our plans a bit. We decided to move over here full time, summer in BC at our house and winter in AZ in the RV starting spring 2012, so we will see you in AZ. Bev will email Peggy with what we are up to.
COOL!!! We'll watch for the enlightening news from Bev..

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #16

batteries

do i need to remove my batterie in the winter after i winterise my trailor. Can i leave the battery connected?
grenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenger View Post
do i need to remove my batterie in the winter after i winterise my trailor. Can i leave the battery connected?
Short answer is "it depends."

If you have your camper plugged in all winter and you have a newer 3 stage converter, just leave the batteries connected and charging (trickle) all winter. Just check them every month or so for water level.

If you do NOT keep your batteries plugged in all winter. Remove them and keep them some place warm. LABEL which wires are which so you don't reverse connect them in the Spring.

Batteries not on continual charge will quickly lose their charge due to parasite load and internal resistance and the electrolyte will freeze; bursting the battery case or cracking the plates. Both Bad.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #18

FYI, We use damprid also but hang them over a tupperware container just in case the water that fills the bottom bag leaks over the winter.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #19

Battery in my first trailer (something from Walmart) lasted 9 years. Disconnected it and left it in the trailer. I presume it had a good charge in it when I disconnected it.
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #20

I have been using charcoal for years it absorbs moisture also.Get the
cheap one.When we moved &rented storage rooms i was tod to buy
a few bags &just leave thetop open.