Old 11-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnm1987 View Post
Also, we have a water filter in our RV and by the time we got the camper backed into the garage and unhooked I didn't have enough room to open the side door to get the water filter out ( ugh! stupid on our part) I am going to put a new one in once I de-winterize anyway so other than a waste of AF is there any danger in having AF sit in the water filter or water heater?? I guess this is an example of live and learn, I think next year it is just going to the dealership for the winterization process!!
You should really pull it back out of the garage! If water freezes in your water filter it could crack the housing and you'd have to replace the whole thing, not just the filter. The water heater should also be drained. Take the access panel off the outside of the camper. There should either be a drain plug (see pic) or I think some models have a heating element to remove to drain tank.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #32
(Kim)

All this talk about residual water has gotten me curious.

For an experiment I am going to make several different concentrations of AF mixed with water and put it in my freezer (set the lowest at -5 F).
I wonder what amount of water needs to be present in the AF to cause any freezing and/or volume increase.......???

DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #33

I would like to see those results.
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer WD Hitch
2003 Harley FXDX Super Glide
browne02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post

For an experiment I am going to make several different concentrations of AF mixed with water and put it in my freezer (set the lowest at -5 F).
I wonder what amount of water needs to be present in the AF to cause any freezing and/or volume increase.......???
Perfect!
Let us know
I bet 1 cup of water and one cup of antifreeze won't freeze!
Old 11-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #35
(Kim)

it will just make a slushy......
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post

Great idea and practical. It will depend what AF you use, too. The different types of Camco RV antifreezes have different amounts of Propylene Glycol I believe.

I'd like to see your results, too.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #37

I just got back from the TT and drained my hot water heater that was full of AF. I happened to take a bath in it as it was under pressure. Anyway, it drained for about 3-4 mins. When it finished I re-installed the anode and selected the valves as the diagram in this thread suggested. It worked great with no problem. The diagram really made sense.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffP View Post
You should really pull it back out of the garage! If water freezes in your water filter it could crack the housing and you'd have to replace the whole thing, not just the filter. The water heater should also be drained. Take the access panel off the outside of the camper. There should either be a drain plug (see pic) or I think some models have a heating element to remove to drain tank.
Didn't think about you running AF through water heater. I never run antifreeze through water heater, just drain it. Your filter housing will be fine too. Brain Fart!
Old 11-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezawacki View Post
I just got back from the TT and drained my hot water heater that was full of AF. I happened to take a bath in it as it was under pressure. Anyway, it drained for about 3-4 mins. When it finished I re-installed the anode and selected the valves as the diagram in this thread suggested. It worked great with no problem. The diagram really made sense.
Next time release the pressure relief valve on hw heater. It at the top and has a little lever on it!
Old 11-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #40

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Hi bhill,

I've never heard of this either. Not saying that it isn't a possibility, but I just don't see it happening with any of the toilets I've had in campers. As F1100 said, wouldn't the AF take care of the residual water?

if it hasn't happened to you then great- I personally blow out my lines and then add the pink stuff- just cuz = sticks are almost always free and I don't have to worry about

A co- worker of mine did the same thing and froze his foot valve on the toilet-- major pain to replace--

Also just so you know there is also a oneway valve on the city water fill that you should stick a toothpick in to hold the valve open- A camper manufacture told me this- again- toothpicks are almost always free--