Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #21
Insert witty title here

You want to open your faucets when you blow the lines and make sure your water heater is bypassed.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
You want to open your faucets when you blow the lines and make sure your water heater is bypassed.
Oops, forgot about bypassing the water heater, hope I didn't mess anything up. It's still empty, so I'll try bypassing, opening the faucets and re-blow later this week.
Garmin RV 660 MLT
2008 Jeep Sahara
-Blue Ox base plate | Ready Brute Elite
BlackJeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #23

Antifreeze or compressed air? Air only
Cover or uncovered? covered
Jacked up or let it rest on the tires? Sits on tires
Rodent / insect counter measures? bounce sheets, moth balls and steel wool

I blow the lines out with air and put antifreeze in traps and small amount in holding tanks. No real reason for putting in tanks probably doesn't need it (smells good). I cover it and hang mothballs on the inside of cover all around, and I place some moth balls at different points on trailer bumper and roof etc. I use the packet type has two balls in each (lol). I put steel wool in every hole, inside were water lines come in, around the drain and water lines for my outdoor kitchen etc. etc. if you get the point mice don't like steel wool. I spread bounce sheets all around the inside.
2011 Flagstaff classic 31.5'BHDS
Gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:28 PM   #24

I just blow out the lines but we won't get cold enough to worry about freezing for a couple of months yet. I will also add some antifreeze down the drains and into the holding tanks. Since we camp at least a couple of time a month year round, the trailer stays parked on its pad at the house.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:28 PM   #25

Compressed air
Uncovered
Rests on tires
Never had a mouse in our camper. I out Irish Spring in cabinets just on case.

Been doing it this way for 5 winters. In Wisconsin. No issues
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #26

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
If you have built-in black tank flush, don't forget to blow out, or antifreeze that one as well.

Have had excellent luck using a SHOP-VAC to suck the water from the opened low-point drains (individually open kitchen, bath, shower faucets etc.) The shop vac is also great for pulling that puddle of water from the bottom of the water heater with the drain plug out. Note, I'm using a "small" shop vac that has the 1-inch hose, not the large 3 or 4 inch hose.

Antifreeze in the drains, the city water inlet, and the black tank flush inlet, draining and vacuuming all the rest has worked for us. Note that our model has nicely placed / functional low-point drains, so your experience may vary.

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:59 PM   #27

Just got back from a 2 1/2 month trip out west. I'm going to winterize tomorrow or Saturday. Had enough of trailer living for this year.🤓 Cleaned the inside yesterday and washed and waxed the 5er today. Having medication right now I wish I could store inside but none around here. I will blow the water lines and put anti freeze in the drains. I may put anti freeze in the water lines, haven't decided yet. My 70 year old body and 29 year old brain are really disagreeing on how my body feels right now. My decals have cracked badly and I understand Forest River do not have them for anything under 2010. Mine is a 2009 CC. Another decision to make. Another slurp of medication to help that...maybe. Ouch that hurt reaching for the mug of rum and coke...stay safe all.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #28

On tires, bypass heater, anti freeze, fill sink traps with anti freeze, moth balls at all propane junctions, damp remover pucks in trailer, remove all food and paper products. Pull battery to keep in garage on trickle charger , Go skiing and wait for spring.

Tags
winter