Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #1

winterize or not

Hi it's the newbie again. I live in New Jersey winters can be cold as you would guess. I will be using the Sunseeker 3170DS year round. Would you winterize the unit or keep it ready to go and have the shoreline plugged in and keep the heat on (about 50 on real cold days?) Will not have too much notice before I have to travel. Canine Critical Incident Therapy Team.
thanks for any help you can provide.
scoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #2

You probably need some type of winterization unless it is in a heated garage. Even if the unit itself is heated, if any water lines are exposed underneath or outside (like the water heater) and they freeze, you may end up with broken lines.

If you do keep it heated, may want to drain the water heater and blow out the lines to minimize the risk if you don't have anti-freeze in the pipes.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
You probably need some type of winterization unless it is in a heated garage. Even if the unit itself is heated, if any water lines are exposed underneath or outside (like the water heater) and they freeze, you may end up with broken lines.

If you do keep it heated, may want to drain the water heater and blow out the lines to minimize the risk if you don't have anti-freeze in the pipes.
Could he drain the lines using the low point drain, and keep the water heater on as well?
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Always Learning

KMP44's advice seems sound and I think what I would do. It's not too hard to blow out the lines and doesn't really cost anything.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter222 View Post
Hi it's the newbie again. I live in New Jersey winters can be cold as you would guess. I will be using the Sunseeker 3170DS year round. Would you winterize the unit or keep it ready to go and have the shoreline plugged in and keep the heat on (about 50 on real cold days?) Will not have too much notice before I have to travel. Canine Critical Incident Therapy Team.
thanks for any help you can provide.

Do you have the "heated enclosed holding tanks" option? If so you are probably pretty safe. You may need to insulate or heat the water and drain lines.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Denver, CO

Camping World has a digital thermometer with a remote sensor that you might experiment with. Put the remote in the coldest area where plumbing is and monitor it for awhile, with the thermostat set where you want it.

Or put a small heater in the basement/water pump area or put heat tape on the water lines that are exposed. Tank heaters would help also.

Some ideas, although it may just be easier to blow out the lines..
Old 10-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #7

Heating the inside is fine, I doubt it will do any good for the pipes and lines under the floor or near a wall.
Best bet is to keep it inside and warm, but that will not help for long if you set it up outside in freezing weather.

Best to leave the tanks empty IMHO because there will be little to freeze.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:10 PM   #8

yes keeping water tanks full and water lines with water in them is asking for problems. Unless you have a heated underbelly and keep it heated. It would be safer to just leave them empty and take the time to fill them when leaving. You could put some water in the black tank and put some antifreeze in the tank so the valves don't freeze. Most campgrounds or areas you would be using should have some type of facilities and you could dry camp and use other facilities for bathing and the toilet. I have dry camped for deer season before and just used jugs of water to flush the toilet and wash dishes and sponge baths.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #9

Agree with the others.
Unless you have a "4 season" unit and you keep the heat and electricity on, you are asking for a frozen pipe.
I have had one 4 season unit and lived in Chicago then. I still drained it and blew out the lines over the winter even though I would use it at times.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize