Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #1

Winterized...Now What

Just had my Forester winterized for the first time. Anything I need to do on my end to prepare for the winter? Couple specific questions:

1. Do I need a cover for my RV?
2. If no cover, should I at least cover the tires?
3. Should I disconnect or remove the two 12V batteries?
4. Should I periodic go to the storage lot and start the engine and generator? How often?

Any other advice for a first timer during my first winter would be appreciated.
steveadamcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:43 PM   #2

Personally I would not bother with a cover over the entire unit, but certainly protecting the tires is important. Disconnect, if not remove the batteries and keep them charged. A dead battery will freeze and split the case. Fresh oil in both engines and run them as often as is practical with Seaform or Sta-Bil in the fuel. Tire pressure will also decrease in the cold, check often. Other forum members will help out here.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:49 PM   #3

stabil in the fuel, full tanks, fresh oil change would be good. no need to run them.
air up the tires, DO NOT use the stab jacks - if a tire loses air/goes flat the jacks will be overloaded.
if parked on grass put 2x12 boards under the tires.
many cover teh tires, or treat them for UV protection.
some leave the roof vents open.
i bring my batt inside and trickle charge it every month or 2.
i remove anything from the camper that might freeze and break or go bad - chemicals, liq soaps, etc.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #4

Cover the tires and air conditioner, good time to check caulking of seams and windows. I bring my battery in from the trailer and trickle charge. If you have the ability to go check, I would look for any new residents who found a way in before they build and make a home. Someone else said if in grass dive the unit on boards......I would put the tires on boards anyway, gets them off standing water/ice.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:12 PM   #5

Yesterday I ran AF thru the lite and opened a couple of Damp Rid containers with the charcoal.

Tires are aired up and they are covered, battery is in the garage.

Weather is still good but work requirements do not allow for another trip out this year...
Old 10-18-2015, 07:03 PM   #6

Do not run an engine unless you can get it up to operating temperature and hold it there long enough to heat up the oil and remove condensation moisture from the oil and other internal areas of the engine. I've seen a number of ruined motorcycle or snowmobile engines from " running them once a week"....
I'd takes as much weight off the tires as I could. Or move the RV forward and back as often as possible to chafe the area of the tire that is on the bottom. I hate spingtime flat spots.
Rbertalotto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize