Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2008, 09:53 PM   #1
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Winterized the park trailer today

Boohoo!
I can't believe the season is closing out already! Didn't get in as many days compared with the last season.

Winterizing went much quicker, as I have a nice checklist to follow. Only used 2 gallons of antifreeze to do this mammoth trailer. Threw down my 'mice defenses' as well. Leaves are already piling up all over the yard/trailer. I'll return next month to check mice defenses, and clean roof, put slides in, and blow some of the leaves off the lawn.

My deck/screen porch is pretty much complete. I have a little staining left on the lattice. What a project! Sure was nice to be 'bug free' in that screen porch all summer!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:29 AM   #2

Aw man..................

that's why ya gotta move South

going somewhere in a couple of weeks. don't know where yet though
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
Site Team

Winterize, what's that? Oh yeah, that's when I put a long sleeved shirt in the RV.
Ok, I know that's not funny but I couldn't resist.

What do you use as "mice defenses"? We haven't had any yet but the possibility exists and I like to know what works for other folks.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #4

While I haven't had any issues with mice in the trailer we have had a really BAD season with field mice in our garden. The little buggers were eating my veggies!! I had been using the green tablets by Raid or Decon or whoever and they would nibble on them and they would get so thirsty they would basically drink themselves to death or just dehydrate.

Last month the facilities manger where I work gave me a Transonic Pest Repeller like this one at Amazon. except mine has only one speaker (I think). I placed it on my back patio facing the garden and haven't had any problems since with them or rabbits. So I'm guessing it's working. These are the industrial ones not the cheapies you get at the supermarket. Shop around because I found several for better prices than at Amazon.

My 2cents.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
The Jolly Mon

My defenses are:

A mine-field of mothballs on the ground under the trailer.
Boxes of Decon under the trailer, and inside one cabinet of the interior.
Glue traps, and neck snappers....just in case.
Plugging every gap, opening and crevice with expanding foam, or steel wool.
So far...so good.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:03 PM   #6

I've heard dryer sheets work well against mice, and they smell good. Have any of you tried or heard of these being used. We loaded our camper up when we winterized this weekend.
with 2 little ones and the Boss
Brock525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #7
The Jolly Mon

Here's what I've learned about RV's & Mice....from experience:

1. Mice aren't repelled by dryer sheets. In fact, they nested right in the same drawer with the Bounce dryer sheets. The nest was made from all the chewed off fringe from the fancy throw pillows, and some of the chewed up bedspread.
While they didn't use the dryer sheets for the nest, they did use them to crap on...which proves they aren't repelled by them.

2. It's a lot easier to take a dead stinky mouse out of a trap, than to try to fix all the damage, clean up the horrible smelling pee stains, nests', and bear expenses involved with your new unwanted guests. Not only that...but now you have to trap them anyway.

PS...the only way I could get the pee stains/smell out of the drawers...was to sand them down.

If you type "MICE" into the search feature...you'll bring up some good threads on mice we've had in the past. (there's been a few)

Good luck.