Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2018, 06:26 AM   #21
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Whichever one is on sale or the cheapest.
X 2 Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrown View Post
I always use -50 and don't care which brand but what ever is on sale. Besides the low temperature you also have to factor in the wind chill so I wouldn't even consider going with -30 and I sleep very well knowing my pipes haven't frozen and cracked to maybe save a couple of dollars!

Cheap insurance really.

Bob Brown

2013 Forest River Sunseeker 3170 DS
Wind Chill ? Not a factor. If it's -20 and wind chill is -50, the ambient temp is still -20 regardless.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:05 AM   #23

Since 2007 all I've ever used is the "Pink Stuff."
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic2 View Post
I read the following article in a RV Magazine:

RV/Marine non-toxic antifreeze is probably the most misunderstood commodity in our industry today. There are currently three different varieties on the market at three very different prices.

Ethanol (alcohol) based: This type of antifreeze is most readily available in hardware stores and most RV shops it sells for approximately $3.00 – $4.00 a jug. However, this product is also extremely flammable and not to used around any sort of pilot flames or cigarettes. As well, this product has been known to taint certain RV plumbing systems and is only to be used with Quest or Pex plumbing lines. If you have ever used this product you will quickly remember how bad you water smelt and tasted the next spring. Furthermore, because this product is made from alcohol it works to dry out all the rubber seals readily found in your faucets and toilet. As a result we do not recommend this product.

Propylene Glycol based: This product is only available at your local RV shop (and not every RV shop for that matter). It sells for approximately $5.00 – $6.00 a jug. Like the ethanol antifreeze, this product is non-toxic and safe for all RV plumbing. However, propylene glycol does not have the same fire safety warnings, nor the risk of tainting your RV plumbing system. Furthermore, propylene glycol is a lubricant and will actually work to extend the life of the seals in your faucets and toilets, unlike the ethanol based products. This is the only product we recommend.

Propylene/Ethanol Blend: Again this product is non-toxic and completely safe for RV plumbing systems. It will cost more than $4.00 – $5.00 a jug. This may seem like a good idea, however, it is unknown how much ethanol is required to taint RV plumbing lines and dry out plumbing seals. For that reason we do not recommend this product.

X2 the glycol is the best and safest . they use it to make ice cream . it does not contain rust prohibitive s unless added for systems like boliers . I would use nothing but Glycol if i ever winterized my unit . it's all i used to winterize my truck mounted pop up camper . even my house a couple years when i was gone to others areas for the winter. just by pass water heater . and pump the lines full of glycol
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Everclear... good to -173.2 degrees F. In the spring add filtered water and have a dry martini. Olive optional.

Aaron
Wouldn't even have to rinse it out in the spring.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolrider View Post
These two brands are at my local walmart super tech and sta-bil. Based off the reviews super tech looks better but it has alchol listed in the ingedients where sta-bil only lists proplyene glycol. Which one would you go with?Attachment 185724Attachment 185725
I've tried many brands and I stick with the one(s) which don't leave a taste in the pipes.

Cheers
amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Whichever one is on sale or the cheapest.
I've been using walmart brand 3 years running in the Berkshires of western MA. no problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	186036
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize