Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #1

winterizing

I have winterized my tt. I drained the fresh water tank. Question, do you put any antifreeze in the freshwater tank. I have been reading posts but seems like everyone just drains it. I work in the marine industry and when winterizing a boats fresh system, i put a couple gallons in the fresh tank, turn on pump and pump through system. The tank still has a bit left in it when done. I know you can't do that due to the size of a tt tank but didn't know if it was good to throw a gallon in. I don't see any issue if it is drained.

2013 Coachman 292BHDS
2005 F150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4
1 spoiled lab and 1 even more spoiled boxer
pkurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
Always Learning

I don't as I don't really see the point. Even if there is residual water- there is plenty of room for it to have a place to go when it freezes and expands.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #3

I might be mistaken, but, when you clear the water from the lines with compressed air there will still be water inside the water pump. I think it is a good idea to pull just enough antifreeze in to displace the water that is in the water pump.
2015 RAM 2500 4X4, 6.4l hemi, 6sp auto, 3:73 diffs
Equalizer 10,000lb hitch with 1K bars
Swaggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggler View Post
I might be mistaken, but, when you clear the water from the lines with compressed air there will still be water inside the water pump. I think it is a good idea to pull just enough antifreeze in to displace the water that is in the water pump.
If you install a winterizing kit and use the water pump for winterizing it keeps the foul tasting pink out of the fresh tank; yet protects the pump.
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
Denver, CO

No point to it, plus the RV tank has a drain, which most marine tanks don't seeing that they are in the boat of the hull most often. In my sailboat I put a gallon in the tank and pump (foot pump) it through the system. In the spring I pump all the pick stuff out and put a little water in and pump it out repeating about 10 times to get all the residual pink out. It is a bit of a pain.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #6

I drain my boat tank, just like the rv tank then; use a spare inlet connection to the pump with about 2' of hose which is in the pink bottle. Isolate the hotwater tank and drain it. First I use a shop vac, the small one has both suction and discharge connections and vac out each line after opening the drops and re-closing them. Using the discharge side of the vac I blow out the traps, on the boat I use it to blow out the seacocks. With all lines cleared I close all faucets, turn on pump, open each faucet starting nearest first and when finished make sure the toilet and shower were not overlooked. This will give pink in the traps, the black and grey tanks and no pink in the main water tank. When commissioning water goes into the main tank, the pump runs and water is flushed through each faucet in the same order.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

If you install a winterizing kit and use the water pump for winterizing it keeps the foul tasting pink out of the fresh tank; yet protects the pump.
I have a winterizing kit installed which uses the pump to pull the antifreeze through.

2013 Coachman 292BHDS
2005 F150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4
1 spoiled lab and 1 even more spoiled boxer
pkurek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize