Old 10-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #1

Winterizing in Texas

Do members in the south, especialy central Texas use anti freeze to winterize? In Texas in the winter it can be 32 one day and 75 the next. We intend to use our 2604SS whenever the temp is above 60. Would blowing the water out, opening the tank drains, removing the filter and running the tank heaters be enough? I would like to avoid putting in anti freeze a dozen or more times a winter.

Thanks

Old 10-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #2

Florida is about the same as Texas and here Winterizing means to take some the shorts out and replace them with long pants for the cold days. Really I don't think you woill need to Winterizing in south Texas.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #3

If your area rarely gets below freezing for extended periods, simply turn on the heat in the trailer to about 60 or so and let it run over night. It will use some gas but beats winterizing and de-winterizing each time you want to go out.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
If your area rarely gets below freezing for extended periods, simply turn on the heat in the trailer to about 60 or so and let it run over night. It will use some gas but beats winterizing and de-winterizing each time you want to go out.
Excellent advice, although we use our electric fireplace set on low in our Georgetown. In our old MH we used to use an electric space heater. Just make sure you open up the cupboards so that heat can get in there. We had weeks of temps below freezing last year and I just turned on the arctic heaters and the fireplace, didn't drain the fresh lines at all. One thing though, absolutely DO NOT put the antifreeze in the water lines. It is an absolute pain to flush out. If you really need to empty your fresh lines then use compressed air. Pour the antifreeze down your drains and into your toilet if need be.

We are like you, we can and do use our rig throughout the winter when the mood hits us to get away so winterizing fully makes that hard to do.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

If using a compressor do not set above 40 PSI so you don't run the risk off breaking any lines.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies and information. This is what I thought but I needed confirmation from more experienced RV'ers. This is our first TT and would hate to screw it up the first winter.

Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #7

I'm in San Antonio and have never winterized. I've never drained the fresh water tank or blown out any lines. We use the trailer all year so it would be a large hassle to us. Plus, as you stated, temps rarely stay in the freezing zone more than a day or two.

Joe

2008 Cardinal 32TS
2008 F350 Lariat PSD C/C 4X4 Dually
Joe Falco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #8

I'm North of Ft. Worth and what I do is blow the lines out, crack the low point drains, crack all the faucet valves, and make sure the fresh water pump is empty. We've had it down in the mid teens a few times and no issues.

A couple of times when I've failed to empty the fresh pump I've placed a trouble light in the compartment to keep it warmish.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:42 AM   #9

excellent. Thanks for all of your input NW. Just saw how i can respond to a specific message! Motor homes, Forums! all new to me. Feel like I am just learning to read or do my times tables again. so much to absorb!
Dixie.

Altoona Pa.

new at RVing but
Lovin our Georgetown 378
Lots to learn

landofdixie is offline   Reply With Quote